The Medium Is The Message Final Project Refection!!!

We have just finished our latest project in PLP called The Medium Is The Message. This is going to be my summative post about the project. I would also suggest checking out my other post about this project HERE.

What Was This Project❓

The driving question for this project was ‘How does what we here, read, and see influence us’. This post is a summative post about how we answered that driving question and what that included. 

What Did This Project Include 🗂

For us to answer the driving question we made advertisements for real businesses in deep cove. My group chose Zücker as our business. To create this advertisement and understand that driving question we learned about a lot of different things. I want to focus on a few key parts that helped me to answer that question. We learned about the media triangle which taught us about the parts that create media. The media triangle included three parts text, production, and audience. The idea is that these are the parts that make up media. This was just one part of the what is media section of building knowledge but it did build up to milestone two where we had to demonstrate the competency comprehending text.

One of the big things that helped me to understand the driving question was this text that we read about Marshall McLuhan called McLuhan for Beginners. The writing talks about McLuhan and all his theories around how media works. This was my favourite part of the project and the one that I found the most interesting. We used notability to annotate the writing and understand it to our best. This contributed to milestone five where we once again had to show the competency comprehending text.

While we were doing all of this we were making advertisements for the business I mention at the begging of this section. I am not going to go into too much about it because I talked about it in my other post about this project which you can find HERE. In short though we used all of the strategies about media that we learned, as well as combining each individual draft done by each group member, to make a final group version of our advertisement which we gave to the business that we chose.

Here is the final advertisement that we made as a group

Final Thoughts 🧠

So after all of that did we answer that driving question? I think that we did. We learned about how what we hear, read, and see influences us. By creating our own ads and learning about things like McLuhan and the media triangle we learned about how advertisers are constantly trying to influence and change how we act in order for a business or person to benefit. While that sounds bad they are not always changing our behaviour for the negative. Sometimes they are changing how we behave so that we are more green and are helping to fight climate change or trying to educate people on how to stay safe during COVID-19 for example. It is important to know these things so that you can at least be more aware of where your actions and beliefs are coming from and if you are being manipulated in a negative way.

Thank you for reading another one of my blog posts! I hope that you liked the review and found it at least a little bit interesting 😜. If you are interested I would suggest reading my other project review post about the My User Manual project HERE.

Links 🔗

McLuhan’s Wikipedia page

McLuhan For Beginners Goodreads Link

Notability App Link

User Manual Reflection Blog Post

The Medium Is The Message Blog Post (other review post)

The Medium Is The Message Project Review (So Far)

Welcome to my post about the individual part of our latest project ‘The Medium Is The Message’.

What Was This Project❓

Our driving question in this project was ‘How Does What We Hear, Read, and See Influence Us’. To answer our driving question we created advertisements for businesses in Deep Cove. We learned about how advertising works and the strategies that are used in advertisements among other stuff that I am going to cover in this post. This project was a group project but in this post I am only going to go over the individual aspect of this project. I am also going to take you through each stage of the project path and what we did during each stage as well as give some extra thoughts along the way.

Launch 🚀 

In the launch phase we did a couple things. The first thing we did was develop our need to knows. These are things that we needed to know in order to complete our project which in this case was creating an ad for a business. We divided this up into three parts, Product, Process, and Content. These need to knows are something that we would later revisit and add to as the project went on. The second thing we did was learn how to analyze text. In order to make an advertisement we first needed to learn how to analyze and understand text. To do this we watched an ad created by Apple to promote their HomePod. We then wrote a paragraph about what we thought the message of the ad was and how they used it to reach their target audience.

Welcome Home Ad

Building Knowledge💡

In building knowledge we learned about a lot of different things relating to media. We learned about different design principles pertaining to media and how to effectively use them. We also learned about different angels and ways that you can take a photos (bird’s eye view, worm’s eye view, etc.) and how to design a great photo. We then went on to learn about a lot of different things. One of the things that we learned about, and I found was interesting, was the five key questions of media literacy. We learned about these by looking at our assigned advertisement and then answering each of the five key questions of media literacy and where you can see them in the ad.

The Five Key Questions

The Ad

We also learned about taking historical perspective and analyzing old advertisements using historical perspective. Historical perspective is where you look at something and try to think about it as if you had the same views and thoughts as people who would have seen it at the time it was made. We also compared historical perspective to our present perspective on the same ad to see how they were different and how society and its views have changed over the years.

Develop and Critique 🔁

In develop and critique we started to actually put together our advertisements. The business that my group had chosen was Zücker which is a candy store. This stage included creating a draft, then sharing it, then getting critique on it, and then revising it to make it better. For my first individual draft I created something that I thought was really good. After showing it to the teacher I realized that there was not story to it. It was just a nice looking image. So for my next draft I knew what I needed to do. I knew that I wanted to have more of a story and I came up with some extra design changes. I decided to add a slogan that said ‘Part of The Community’ to give the ad a story. I also changed up some stuff to do with the design and images used in my second draft. I then noticed that the text was quite difficult to read and I also wasn’t happy with the aspect ratio I had been using. For my third and final draft I decided to go with a more flat colour pallet that wasn’t as bright and also put some images that showed the fact that the business is a local business and that they were part of the community, really leaning into that slogan. I am really happy with how my third draft turned out and I think that if I had not done the other two drafts it would not have looked as good.

My Individual Drafts

• Draft 1 of My Advertisement

Present 📢

For this part there is not much to write. In this part we took our draft three ads and shared them with the group. The plan was to have everyone share their ads and we all said what we liked and what we were going to take from each individual draft and put into our group drafts that would be sent to the business that we chose (Zücker). This was a great part of the project because it was nice to be able to show off my final draft that I was really proud of and also was fun to see my group members versions.

Final Thoughts 🧠

So now for some final thoughts on this part of the project. I really enjoyed creating my individual versions of the draft. I had a lot of fun messing around with different features in Canva and learning about all the work and thought that goes into creating an advertisement. I think that I am now a lot more aware of what is going on around me and when I see an advertisement I am more knowledgeable now about what it is trying to do and how it is trying to trick me. While this project is still not over, and we have lots more work to do in terms of group drafts and getting our final group advertisement finished, I have really enjoyed most parts of this project and am looking forward to wrapping it up and seeing all of my work pay off.

Go Deeper Tasks | Photo Walk

I recently decided to do some of the go deeper tasks as a part of our new project “The Medium Is The Message”.

Equipment Used

For this I followed along with a book called “Every One Can Create Photo” which is a book available on Apple Books. I also used an iPhone to take all of the pictures for this book.

What Was The Task

For this go deeper task you had to follow along with activity two on page ten of the book. This activity included taking a bunch of photos that had something in common (colour, texture, shapes, etc.). I chose to do grid patterns for my photos. I went around and took a bunch of photos of different things I could find. I then went and did the second part of this activity which was just putting them all into an album (not that hard).

Final Product

After following activity two I now have a bunch of photos that all have one thing in common. I did however have an other reason for choosing the kind of photos I did. All of these photos are perfect for making materials in Blender. If yo read my About Me page then you know that I do a lot of 3D work and images like these are great for making UV textures.

The photos I took:

Thank you for reading another one of my posts. Hope you liked it and found it interesting!

My User Manual Project & Reflection

CLICK HERE to read My User Manual

My User Manual is the first ever project I have done in PLP. This will also be my first post, of hopefully many, about a project I have done. For this post I am going to break it up into multiple parts so that you can navigate and ready it a lot easier.

What Was This Project?

For the first section of this post I thought I would explain what we were doing for this project. The driving question behind this project was “How Do I CREATIVELY Communicate Who I Am.” The goal was to answer this driving question.

What Did This Project Include?

Part of this project was making a Memoji laptop sticker. For this I used keynote on my iPad along with some other apps. For the Memoji laptop part our goal was to make a Memoji of yourself with a laptop that had a bunch of stickers that had some meaning to you.

This is my laptop with all of the stickers on it. These stickers all have some meaning behind them. For example I put a sticker for Blender. It included the Blender logo and the default cube from Blender. These Memoji laptops went through some peer critique and then after that some revision until we got the final result. I found that the critique was very helpful in getting my final result as I think this looks much better than my original laptop. These Memoji’s would later go on our user manuals.

The second part was making the user manual. The user manual was meant to be a like a guide that you could show to someone if they were meeting you for the first time. They were done in a way that makes it seem like you were a robot and this manual was an introduction to you software. You included things like personal preferences, warnings, ways to troubleshoot when there is an issue and stuff like that. The manuals also went through a round of peer critique and then some revision before we got to the final part of presenting our manual to some classmates.

The during the present and reflect phase of the project we had to present our users manual to some classmates. We only presented them in groups of three so there were only two other people there. This part was actually quite challenging. Not because I find it difficult to present but because the manuals were not written in a way to be presented. It did give a nice challenge and I feel that I gave a really good presentation.

If you would like to read the manual you can find the link at the top of the page or Click Here

What Did I Learn?

I thought that I should reflect some of the stuff that I learned throughout this project. I think the big one that I should mention is that I learned how a project works in PLP. As the is the first project that I have done in the PLP program I learned a lot about the project path and what the different stages are to a project and what they include. Those stages being the Launch phase, the Building Knowledge phase, the Develop and Critique phase, and then finally the Present and Reflect phase. It was really interesting to see how all the stages played an important role in the project and how much I learned through each stage.

On more of the software side of things I learned about so many great apps and some great features in apps I already knew. It was really interesting to see all the different ways keynote can be utilized for graphic design, especially as someone who works with a lot of apps for graphic design on desktop. I also learned a lot of great ways that you can make your documents look really nice using different formatting tools in pages as well as using those tools to divide up you document and organize it.

Final Thoughts

So did we answer that driving question? I think we did. We learned how to creatively communicate who we are. We used the user manual and Memoji to show who were were in a creative way. Through the Memoji we showed our interests and hobbies and overall things that are important to us in a visual way and also in quite a CREATIVE way. Through the user manual we showed who we are and told a bit about our selves in, what I think, was a creative way. Introducing ourselves as if we were a new piece of tech that you have just bought and you are now needing to learn about us. 

So yes. Yes, I think we did answer that driving question.

Thanks for reading this post and I can’t wait to see what the future of my time in PLP will hold.