Fractions of your time

Fractions of your time

Driving question 

For this project we learned about fractions and percentages. The project’s driving question was “What fraction of your time is screen time in an average day?”. So during this project we kept track of how many hours we spent on our screens and we would write down our total hours every day. I also decided to track how much I read and how much I exercise.

My daily screen average was: 5.07 hours per day

iPad: 3.42 

Phone: 1.07

Tv: 0.57

Exercise: 2.14

Reading: 1.78

~5/24 hours per day is spent on screens

~2/24 hours spent exercising 

~2/24 hours reading 

A little bit less then a quarter of my day is spent on screens and 2.92% of that time is spent on productivity, 2.14% is spent on entertainment. 

Curricular  Competencies 

1. Applying and Innovating: I showed this skill by working efficiently and getting my work done on time. I also checked that my work had met the criteria before handing it in. I applied the skill of adding fractions to calculate my screen time. I was innovative because I tracked two additional daily habits.

2.  Understanding and solving: I showed this skill by understanding the steps of how to add and subtract fractions. I solved the equation to finding my average screen time in the final project. 

3. Communicating and Representing: my oral presentation to the class showed my communication skills. I also asked questions when I needed help and helped my classmates when they needed help. I represented work my using graphs and pie charts.

Evidence of your learning 

Here are some examples of evidence of my learning: stepping stones, learning how to make charts using numbers, textbook work, how to do fractions, quizzes and my oral presentation.  I really enjoyed learning how to make the graphs and pie charts in Numbers. I learned how to programme it to total up my hours and find my average of screen time hours. 

Medium is the Message project post

Launch

This project was all about advertising, for the first part of this project in groups we chose a business that we would design an advertisement for. Which my group we chose a candy shop called Zücker,

Our second step was to created a script to call them and ask if they would like to work with us, then we made the call, next we learned how to make a mood board to plan what we wanted our advertisement to look like.

With the mood boards we made some individual advertisement drafts.

Our mood bord⬇️

We combined our individual drafts and turned them into one group draft. Then we sent the 2 drafts to the business for their feedback and to see which draft they liked best.

My individual draft⬇️

Group draft #1 ⬇️

Group draft #2⬇️ 

Their feed back⬇️

When we received feedback from our business we made a few changes.

We made some changes ⬇️

Then we got peer critiques on or revised draft, after that we had someone who works in advertising come in and give us some critiques. 

We made some final changes then we sent our drafts to the business and we where done.  

Final draft⬇️ 

building knowledge

In the building knowledge step we learned the different types of media and the message. We learned about different types of media and what goes in to media such as, mass media, consumer, target audience, and advertising. I found learning about the target audience interesting learning how brands design their ad to appeal to a certain audience. 

how dose what we hear, read and see influence us? 

The driving question for this unit was “how dose what we hear read and see influence us?” Throughout this unit we read many texts and had many discussions about the driving question. We learned a lot about what techniques advertisers use to influence the consumer. Like we learned about pathos: the appeal of sadness and emotions, for example a SPCA ad with a sad chained up dog, Ethos: the appeal of ethics, for example and ad for a cough drop that says it’s doctor recommended, and Logos the appeal of logic such as an ad that has facts, proof and evidence. I find that the appeal of Pathos is very strong in my experience. This question is all about how brands advertise product so people think if you by this you will fit in or be cool.

Evidence of Your Learning

Through out this project we learned about advertising, the different techniques and appeals, meaning of media and message, graphic design skills, how to analyze text, team skills. I completed many advertisement drafts, advertisement survey, photo journal and the final advertisement project. I participated in group work and class decisions which shows evidence of my understanding of media.

Curricular Competencies

In milestone 1 I demonstrated that I can comprehend text by learning about the proposed of advertising and other aspects of advertising such as, the target audience, the main objective and the main idea. For milestone 1 we watched an Apple ad for their new Home Pod. After we wrote a paragraph about who we think the target audience is and dose

Milestone 5 I have applied a variety of strategies to comprehend text. We read the novel The Gospel According to Larry and we also read Medium is The Message by McLuhan. One quote that stood out while reading Medium is The Message was “we shape our tools, and thereafter our tools shape us”, when I first this I didn’t fully understand the meaning of it but I used some strategies to help comprehend it. Some of the strategies I used where discussing it with my table group, re-reading the text and discussing it with my class room.

Milestone 6 I demonstrated writing and design processes to plan, develop, create my advertisement. I utilized my critiques, from my peers to improve my advertisement draft Milestone 6 was when our group combined all our individual drafts together into one final draft. 

At first we had to chose business that we wanted to work with my group chose a candy shop called Zücker, we created a script to call them, then we made the call, next we learned how to make a mood board for our advertisement, we made individual advertisement drafts then turned them into one group draft. Then we sent the 2 drafts to the business for their feedback and to see which draft they liked best.8

I’m so happy with how our post turns out thank you Dana, Patrick, Aaron, Xander and Julian for being a great group.

Continue reading

User Manual Reflection

I thought this was A really great first project because over the project we learned a lot of useful skills that will be helpful for the future. I thought the most helpful parts of the project was, milestones 3 and 4 where very important

Milestone 3 was important because we wrote the outline for our user manual outline. For this milestone we copied all the headings and formatting from our teachers user manual examples. Under each heading we wrote down any information that we might want to add about ourselves like, facts about ourselves and things that make use different or unique. This was also very helpful because it made writing the good copy a lot easier. This project was like an about me page just arranged differently so all the facts we add where things that we would want people to know about us. Milestone 4, was also helpful because in the future we will be getting feedback back from our peers a lot and this was a good way to prepare for the future. 

Milestone 4 was all about getting feedback from our peers on our Memoji’s. During this project we learned how to give kind and helpful feedback, for example you need to give detail to make it clear what you mean and you can say complement then a critique: i like this… but maybe add this. Then people walked around the room looking at other peoples Memoji’s and on a sticky note writing down something that they liked about your Memoji and adding there suggestions. Everyone got a chance to see all the different Memoji’s and give there feedback on it. One we got our critiques we submitted them to Showbie then we started brainstorming ideas on how we could revise our Memoji based on the critiques and feedback we got.

User Guide: Clare 

Brand: PLP Student 

Model: Clare Grafton-Levitt, iOS 12.8

PRODUCT GUIDE

Congratulations on your new PLP student, Clare Grafton-Levitt 12.8, commonly referred to as “Clare” or “Clare Bear” by close Friend Products. This new student comes with the following functions:

• Out-of-the-box and creative thinking 
  • Loves and is ready to learn new things 
  • Works well in groups settings
  • Especially enjoys learning Science 

GETTING STARTED 

When you access Clare 12.8 for the first time, she will be ready and happy to respond to any user, especially ones who are kind, friendly and love animals.

SETTINGS 

Clare has 3 main settings: student and regular person mode.

Setting 1: Regular Person

When Clare is Regular Person mode, you will usually see her out on a walk, playing ultimate, field hockey or bouldering. When Clare is in this mode she is talkative and outgoing. If you see her in this mode, say hi and she will be happy to see you, and ask how your day is and what you are doing. 

Setting 2: Student 

When Clare is in the classroom, she may appear quiet, but that’s only because she is focused on her school work. Even when Clare is in this mode, she will still be excited and interested to see how you are and what you’ve been up to. Student Clare is also more shy but once you get to know her she will no longer be so quiet.

Setting 3: Friend mode 

When Clare is in friend mode when she is hanging out with her friends. When Clare is with her friends you will usually see her outside going for a walk or going up to the mall. Around her friends she is silly, loud, bold and outgoing. Clare acts very different in each mode but friend mode is where she acts the most different from her other modes.

WARNINGS

This device may…

• Get distracted and start doing something completely different and forget what she is supposed to be working on.
  • Get so focused on thinking of ideas that she doesn’t notice what is going on around her.
  • Get distracted and zone out quite often