Argh Matey

What were the causes and consequences of global exploration? To answer that I need to learn about European exploration, how they travel, and who led them. We need to learn all about this to make a pirate/European exploration story. To learn that we did some worksheets, researched, took notes, and made a web of cause and consequence for the reasons that the European would want to explore and the changes because of it. We all had to make a story based on a pirate who would travel to the new world, the story I made was based on the pirate Calico Jack.

Here is some proof of my learning:

Here is my story:

Scimatics: Ultimate Design Challenge

How can I optimize an object for maximum surface area or volume? Well to answer this I need to first learn about volume and surface area. I learned about this through workbooks and worksheets. We had to make a project to show how we optimized our item for maximum Surface area or volume. Seth and I (he was my partner and I will link his blog here) chose to do a blender and optimize it for maximum volume. We both had to make different haves to a blender and I made the top half with the lid, the chamber that holds the food, and the blades. The app we used to design all this is called Tinkercad.

In this project, I think I am extending. I think this because I used all of my class time efficiently even though I missed 3 classes. I made an accurate 3D model of a blender with many different, basic shapes. Also, the fact that my and Seth’s models are built to work together. I think that in the future I could’ve added a few more different shapes but I thought I still had a wide variety. All my math formulas, calculations, and ratios were correct. I didn’t get them first try, but I got them eventually. I also organized them neatly in a Keynote presentation. I think that next time Seth and I could’ve made our Keynote a little bit smoother and had both halves of them work better together.

Here is my Keynote presentation, the pages I wrote are pages 2 and pages 4-13. The other pages are Seth’s work.

DI: Final Post

If you don’t know what DI is or want to learn about it you should read my previous blog post before you read this one. Here’s the link: https://www.blog44.ca/oweng/2022/02/02/d-i-bacterial-besties/

Since my last blog post, my team and I have kept on practicing, building and fixing our broken props and costumes.
Some stuff that we’ve built and repaired since then are:

Our sign:

Our backdrops:

Our salmonella costumes:

And our team car:

On the day of DI, my team and I got to Saint George’s at 10:30, got all our props together, fixed some minor things that broke, presented our story, did our instant challenge, took our team photo, and then we left.

Overall in DI, I think I was accomplished because I helped my team with lots of work, such as helping with the script, building props, and researching. Also because I memorized all my lines and had my costume prepared. Some things I think I could’ve done better are trying to meet up with my team more at the beginning and doing dress rehearsals more often.

On the day of DI, I think I was extending because I arrived on time, had all my props with me, had my lines memorized and was prepared for my presentation and the instant challenge. I think I could’ve helped make the transitions between scenes more smooth during our presentations.

And here’s the video of our presentation:

And if you want to read about my teammates’ experiences here are the links to their blogs: Jackson, Susan, Caden, Kadin, Callum, and Naomi.

Chemisty Coding

How can the behaviour of matter be explained by kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory? To answer that I have to learn about molecular and atomic theories. In class, I learned about atomic theory through the different atomic models and worksheets. I learned about molecular theory through worksheets. We explained our knowledge through a game that we coded ourselves.

Here is my project end MindNode:

Questioning and predicting: I think I am accomplished in questioning and predicting because all my class time was used effectively to finish my work and code my game. I also was interested in coding my game the science and math that were used in this project.

Scientific communication: I think I am accomplished because I knew and understood several different atoms and molecules. Another reason why is because I represented a finished model of particle motion shown and a historical model of an atom is in my game. I also used scientific methods, techniques, and ideas to show my learning in my game and my atomic model’s research.

Reasoning and analyzing: I think I am accomplished because I made a well-coded scratch game with functional controls. My game also showed the atomic theory, molecular theory, and all states of atoms correctly. My game is also easy and fun to play.

Here is the link to my game: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/652614473/

The Renaissance: a Change Engine

What significant development emerged from the past and how does they impact us today?

Well, to answer that question we decided to learn about the renaissance. We learned about different inventors, inventions, artworks, and societal changes. We had to research 1 thing in each of these topics. The inventor I researched was Galileo Galileo, the invention I researched was clocks and hourglasses, the art piece I researched was the school of Athens, and the societal change I researched was city states and trade. We had to research all these things to help us build our final product which was a triptych and a paragraph explaining why and what we thought the most important out of all of those topics in the renaissance was. I think it was the invention of clocks and hourglasses and here is the paragraph I wrote:

I think that the telling of time, clocks and hourglasses were the most important invention during the Renaissance. Some reasons to why I think that are that time is very commonly known, almost everybody knows the telling of time, whether it’s 24 hour time or 12, it is very commonly known. You can also find time everywhere, it is very accessible. Whether you can find it on your phone, watch, iPad, or a clock on the wall it’s everywhere.

Another reason why I think clocks and hourglasses is the most important is because they can be used for many more things then just timing the sermon, timing cooking times in rich households and timing watches on a ship which is mainly what they were used for when they were invented. Now we use clocks for telling time, setting timers to know when to get to certain events on time, cooking, as an alarm to get our day started, we also use the clock in relation to the calendar for setting events and knowing what time of the day for certain events and when we need to get stuff done we could put it in a calendar such as things.

And my last reason for why I think that clocks and hourglasses are the most important invention during the renaissance is how clocks have become more accessible since the renaissance. During the renaissance clocks were expensive and a luxury and now clocks aren’t expensive and are widely spread and the telling of time with numbers is free. It went from being an expensive luxury to a free way to measure our day. And that’s why I think that the telling of time, clocks and hourglasses are the most important invention during the Renaissance.

And here is my triptych:

If you were wondering what a triptych is it is a a picture or relief carving on three panels, typically hinged together side by side and used as an altarpiece.

Overall in this project I think that I was accomplished because I handed all my work in on time, put complete and finished work into all my work, and used my class time wisely to get all my work done. A few specific things that I think I did well on were my triptych because of how it’s finished with all the proper elements needed in it are in it, and my name charts being through and informing.

Loon Lake: a Learning Advance

In case you’re wondering, no this isn’t a project we did, this was a learning advance. And there is no driving question for this blog post. But it is called a learning advance for a reason, so here’s what I learned and some things that we did at Loon lake. Some things that we did at Loon lake was battle archery, laser tag, D.I., advisory groups and evening fun such as playing basketball or watching the Olympics are some of the things we did while at Loon lake.

And here’s the book we made for book creator about the learning advance:

D.I.:Bacterial Besties

“Destination Imagination is a hands-on, project-based educational experience that encourages creativity, collaboration, communication and critical thinking skills. Destination Imagination applies the creative process to help student teams create their own unique solutions to the requirements posed by the Challenges”-Destination Imagination

My group’s team challenge in Destination Imagination is Up Close scientific. And in Up-Close scientific we have to make a story about the Microworld and characters encountering a mysterious object, you also have to have one microscopy imaging technique, and we chose darkfield. So far in Destination Imagination my group and I have written most of our story for our presentation, planned out what we need to buy, planned out our team choice elements, planned out meeting and already had 2 meetings. We’ve also already planned out our visual effect and started building it. Our team choice elements are music and

Our team is called the Bacterial Besties because our our story is about bacteria and the bacteria we chose to do it on is salmonaella.

You may be asking what is a team choice element?

Well, a team choice element is something that shows off your teams strengths. For example, one of my team’s team choice elements are music, because we all like music and are creating a soundtrack for our story.

Also, what is the mysterious object?

The mysterious object is an object that a character or characters encounter in the Microworld.

What is the visual effect?

The visual effect something using a technical method to enhance the mysterious object. You may have more than one visual effect.

Here is something that my team worked on during on of our team meetings, it is for the background of our story.

Here is another photo of me and Susan building the support for our microscope in the other photo above.

My group also did built a wood support for black tablecloths that we would paint and flip over on certain scenes during the presentation of our story.

“Destination Imagination Instant Challenges are designed to help children understand that by working collaboratively and following their innate curiosity, they can approach any problem with confidence and tenacity. Instant Challenges can be performance-based, task-based or a combination of the two”-Destination Imagination

Another aspect of Destination Imagination is the instant challenge. The instant challenge is where you’ll be just your group and the appraisers, the appraisers will give you a challenge with a few minutes to plan and build and a few minutes to present what you’ve created with limited, random resources. Some things that will get you points in an instant challenge is teamwork, presentation, creativity, and the design of your creation.

You can also check out my team members blog posts here: Kadin, Susan, Caden, Callum, Jackson, and Naomi.

mPOL 2022

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

I will also be talking about the work I’ve done so far this year about my PLP classes, what I learned, and which one is my favourite.

My first class:

First class, Scimatics, probably my favourite class. So far in Scimatics this year we’ve done 3 projects: Fractions of Your Time, Tectonic Chances, and Laser Laws. In these projects we worked on fractions, tectonic plates, Pythagorean theorem, and the law of reflection. My favourite project in Scimatics was probably the Tectonic Chances project. In this project we learned about fractions and tectonic plates in order to make a board game, my board game was called ‘The 3 Natural Disasters’. In this project I think I did really well at understanding and demonstrating the scientific method used in this project which was tectonic plates. Something that I think I could’ve worked on was being on task and not get distracted talking about biking with Keaton. But, I also learned that I need to focus on getting my work done in class and trying not to be distracted so I don’t have it for homework.

And if you were interested about my Tectonic Chances board game here is the blog post for it. And if you were interested on my other Scimatics work you can feel free to check out the rest of my blog.

My second class:

Second class, Humanities, another class I really liked. So far in humanities we’ve done 2 projects and are finishing up a third: Medium is the Message, the Outsiders, and Working with Words. My favourite is tied between the Outsiders and Working with Words. In the Outsiders we worked on worldview and acting and in Working with Words we worked on poetry. In the Outsiders project I thought I did really well at coming to class with every chapter that needed to be read, read and discussion questions ready. Something that I could’ve worked on is trying to include every group member a little bit better in our tableau. I learned from that by trying harder to include everyone when I work in groups. And in Working with Words something that I thought I did really well was managing my time, by that I mean handing all my work in on time, coming to class ready with all my poems written and handing in my eBook and about me video on time. One thing I think I could’ve done better in this project is doing more diverse aspects of my worldview. I learned from that by trying to think about other parts of my personality instead of just mountain biking and snowboarding.

And if you were interested or wanted to check out my eBook the blog post is here as well as my Outsiders blog post which is here. They can also both be found on my blog.

My third class:

My third class, Maker. So far in Maker we’ve done 3 projects: Becoming a PLP Learner, Constructive Creative Communication, and Geek Out blog posts. My favourite project in Maker is Geek Out blog posts in this project we did 4 blog posts about any subject we chose such as a hobby or interest, I chose mountain biking. The first post had to be an introduction post to your topic, post 2 had to be choice post and I chose my post to be F.A.Q., post 3 was fun with photos where you either took a free photo of the internet and edited it in some way or take your own photo and edit it in some way, post 4 had to be another choice post and I chose mine to be on the best and worst. Something that I thought I did really well on in this project was writing a good blog with correct grammar, photos, links, an interesting topic, a break in between my sentences, and an interesting title. Something that I think I could’ve worked better on in this project was to make my introduction blog post longer, but after I read some other examples I quickly revised that.

And if you were curios or wanted to read more about my Geek out blog posts they are all on my blog right here: Introduction Post, F.A.Q., Fun with Photos, The Best and Worst.

But, to answer the driving questions for this mPOL, how have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?

I think I’ve demonstrated growth as a learner this year in many ways: at the beginning of the year I was more uncertain with my iPad and when working in a group, but now I’m way more confident and knowledgeable about my iPad and how to work in a group better. Another way I’ve grown as a learner is by handing all my work in on time, at the beginning of the year I was still getting used to handing things in online and not having a physical copy, and now I am used to handing in all my work online and am using things multiple times a day to keep track of all my work, due dates, and meeting times. And a final way that I’ve demonstrated growth as a learner is by getting to know more people in my classes and working better with them as opposed to the beginning of the year where I didn’t know many people and didn’t work as well with them because I didn’t know them as well.

And to answer the next driving question for this mPOL is, how can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year?

I can do this my keeping on track with all my work by handing it all in on time, putting my best and hardest work into all of my work, showing up to class prepared and on time for every class, and completing all my work whether that’s in class, at home or tutorial. I can also contact any of my teachers to see if they have any ideas of ways that I could sharpen my learning plan if I’m having trouble doing it myself.

Poetry: do I enjoy it?

How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?

Poetry, that’s how.

To show myself through poetry I first had to learn about poetry. And how do I do that? Well, I identified text, understood the text, learned about the text, and applied that learning to my own work. Some things I learned about are different types of poems, rhyming schemes, stanzas, rules of the certain poem, and how to write that poem.

Something that I thought I did really well on in this project is managing my time, coming to class with all my poems written, handing all my working in on time, and coming to class prepared with all the knowledge that needed to be known, known. I also thought I made really beautiful, original complementary texts which are the drawings in the background of my poems. I think I could’ve worked on diversifying my poems other than mainly mountain biking and snowboarding.

And here is my poetry eBook if you want to read it!

Some Poems

Some PoemsClick to read this book, made with Book Creatorhttps://read.bookcreator.com

Scimatics: Laser Laws

How can we test the pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection?

Well to answer that we need to learn a little bit about both of those topics. We had to learn about different types of mirrors, different types of rays, different types of light, wave lengths, and density of different materials to help us learn the more about the law of reflection. We also learned about squared numbered, reflected angles, and triangles to help us with the Pythagorean theorem.

Questioning and predicting: in questioning and predicting I think I was accomplished. I think this because I handed in all of my workbooks in on time will all assigned questions answered. I also answered most questions correctly.

Communicating and representing:

In communicating and representing I think I was accomplished because I accurately demonstrated the Pythagorean theorem using a protractor and ruler. I also accurately recorded the Pythagorean on my milestone 4 and 5 and when I got revisions for these I did them right away.

Applying and innovating:

In applying and innovating I think I was extending because I was a big part in building the project, everything from lasers to mirrors to measuring them online and in real life. I also helped out with building the walls around our laser display.

As proof to my learning here is my milestone 4:

Question:

How can we test the Pythagorean theorem and law of reflection?

Hypothesis:

That the law of reflection proves to be true for all angles of reflected light on a flat mirror.

Procedure:

Step 1: get 3 mirrors

Step 2: get a laser

Step 3: point the laser in a straight line

Step 4: use a protractor to position mirror #1 to reflect off the laser at a 90 degree angle

Step 5: using a protractor position mirror #2 at an angle so it reflects near the top of the starting point of the laser

Step 6: place rulers along all of the sides of the triangle

Step 7: measure and record the length of both legs and the hypotenuse

Data/results/analysis:

As you can see here, this is a right angle triangle with 2 mirrors used, 3 protractors used, and 3 rulers used to show how long each leg is and the hypotenuse

In the photo above the blue line represents the normal ray, the white represents the incident ray, and the red represents the reflected ray.

And here you can see I drew all the measurements for the triangle.

Equation: length x height which is 30cm x 40cm which equals 1200cm divided by 2 which is 600m which means 600cm is the area of my triangle.

Pythagorean theorem: 30×40=50 which means that it is a right triangle because 50cm squared does equal 2500.

In conclusion my hypothesis is correct and that the law of reflection proves to be true for all angles of light reflected on a flat mirror. I know this because in my experiment I used flat mirrors and a variety of angles and and the law of reflection proved to be true. And through my experiment I also tested the Pythagorean theorem and it proved to be true. I know this because:

C²=a²+b²

C²=98²+52

C²=9604+2704

C²=12308

C²=√110

C²=110

Which means that the hypotenuse is 110cm.

And the measurements that prove the law of reflection are 60°, 90°, and 28°. The normal ray for 60° is 0°, the incident ray is 30°, the reflected ray is also 30°. For 90° the normal ray is 0°, the incident ray is 45°, the reflected ray is also 45°. For the 28 the normal ray is 0°, the incident ray is 14°, the reflected ray is also 14°.