Do people affect nature?

The project that we just finished was about how people and nature affect each other. More specifically the driving question was “how do people and the environment affect each other?” and I think that they affect each other in a lot of different ways. I feel like most people would say that people affect the environment more than they do us but I think it is about 50/50. The environment affects us in mostly positive ways making our clean air and the sun is two things that I enjoy. But when people affect them in negative ways they affect us back in negative ways. By us contributing to global warming, the ice caps melt and flood a lot of towns near oceans. Also when the ozone layer starts getting warmer it causes forest fires. So now it is like a back and forth between us doing something bad then nature coming back with something worse or the same depending on where you live. Meaning if you live in a prime flooding area your point of view on if what nature is doing is worse or the same as if you live here in British Columbia. Kind of like this photo here.

At the beginning of this project our teachers told us that the project was made by commonly, a website I didn’t really like last year but I didn’t think it would change my perspective on the subject of this project which I liked (the driving question that I said before). She also told us that the final product would be a letter that we can send to whoever we want but they have to be someone that can make a change (etc. Someone in parliament, the mayor, owners of polluting companies). Right when she said that I knew I wanted to write to the honourable John Horgan because he is someone that can make a change in our province. I just needed a topic and then I thought about when I went to Penticton over the summer and the air quality was horrible on the way up and even when we were there it was pretty bad causing the sun and moon to be very orange. Then and there I knew that I should write about forest fires in the lake Okanagan area.

Throughout the whole project, we did multiple reading activities on commonlit where we would read the text then answer some questions and they would all be about different topics that people in our class ended up choosing but the two that I found were good were called “Quiet Town” and “The sea also rises”. These were the two that connected to my letter the most because they were about how floods force people out of their homes and my letter was about how forest fires were forcing people out of their homes. In my opinion, those were the two best readings we did in class but “the sea also rises” was the best because it wasn’t made up, it was a true story. Around the end of our project, we had to come into class and write a three-paragraph essay about that very topic I was just talking about, what commonlit readings connect to our letter. During this project, we also had a couple of writing activities, two of which were vocab quizzes where we had to define a couple of words and if we used those words in our letter we would get “extra points”.

At one point we also had two people come in to answer some of our questions about their perspectives on different topics. One of the people that came in was Denis Thomas, an elected councillor from the Tsleil-Waututh Nation and the owner of a tour company in my area. The other is Megan Curren, the ex-owner of multiple small businesses in deep cove and a supported environmental activist that banned plastic straws in deep cove. They both had some very nice opinions. 

We did a lot of things during this project but my favourite has to be writing the letter, making the envelope and putting it in the mailbox. I found it to be a very good idea that my teachers made us all walk together to the mailbox. It was a great end to the project. 

Comments

A board game about exponents?

“How does math make games more complex, interesting, and re-playable ?” Was the driving question for the project I just finished named “game of exponent laws”. What we were trying to accomplish with this project is making a board game that includes, you guessed it, exponent laws. I am not going to lie and say that this project was easy because it really wasn’t because we had to add as many exponent laws as possible which is not an easy task. 

But my answer to the driving question is the following. It makes is more complex because you have to use mental calculation a lot, it makes it more interesting because you learn a lot wile playing it and it makes it re-playable because it can have a different winner each time you play.

My game was pretty much a combination of candyland and shoots and ladders but with exponents, rulers and pencils instead on slides and ladders and a wheel instead of dice. We all really enjoyed those games growing up so we did this as a tribute to our childhood. Here is the game board so you know what I mean. 

Go checkout my partners blogs. Luca: www.blog44.ca/lucap Ben: www.blog44.ca/bent. Also go check out these two peoples blogs because I found their game to be the best in the two classes that did this project. Max: www.blog44.ca/maxr Nolan: www.blog44.ca/nolanf.

This project, even though it only lasted a month, has been the project that I have learned the most from in my life. And on top of that it was very fun to do. I really like this kind of project because I learn a lot of things that I will use in my future math classes but It was presented in a fun way. This projects main focus was to learn about exponent laws which we definitely did and here is my proof that I remember most of it.

Most of the people I talked to didn’t get over 20 which shows that I learned and retained more than most people. Also I handed everything in on time and finished all the textbook pages with most of if not all the answers right.

Now the curricular competencies.

There are 3 curricular competencies; Reasoning and Analyzing, Communicating and Representing, and Applying and Innovating. And in the photo below it goes more into detail and I say why I did those good.

If I could change anything I would add more exponent laws so I could get extending also maybe adding a point system to make the game just that more interesting.

To conclude, I learned about what exponents were in grade 6 and studied them for a bit but I never really enjoyed doing it. Until we started this project because it seemed like I was the only person in class that knew what they were which made me feel very confident I would do good in this project. 

Comments

Comic book science (comic cells summative post)

It is now the end of the year and this will be the last blog post that I write in grade 8 and being 13 because my birthday is this Thursday. And I like that this will be the last one because it is by far my favourite project that I’ve done all year. I really enjoyed it because it was all about how diseases and cells interact (driving question) which sounds like a fun project already but the final  product that we had to hand in was a comic book about the driving question. The point of the project was to show how cells and diseases interact but in a “fun” way and I did that by making a comic book where white blood cells and diseases are people that live in a town that is inside of a person’s body. 

The fist milestone that I enjoyed doing was milestone 2 because we had to make a wanted poster for our disease which I found to be pretty fun. Here is what I made:

I also had lot’s of fun making the story board for my comic book because it really made me think about what I wanted my comic book to be about and I fell that I did it really well. Here is my story board:Presentation 29

And finally, my favourite milestone by far, milestone 5. It was definitely my favourite because it was when I really tried making my drawings good and also making the key points of the plot for my comic book come to life. Here it is (the file was to big so here is a youtube video of me going through it):

Now for the curricular competencies, curricular competencies are things that we have to follow during our project to make sure we succeed in making it. Here are the ones for this project. 

To conclude, this project was all about how viruses interact with cells and I found that really interesting and this project was 10 times better because we made a comic. I’m really happy that this is the last project and blog post that I will write this school year because that way remember grade 8 being really good.

Comments

The ultimate project (ultimate design challenge summative post)

Welcome back to my blog, this blog post is about 3D models and, well math.The objective for this project was to make a 3D model of a object of our choosing that either optimizes surface area or volume. we also had to calculate the volume and surface area of every little shape that we used. Me and my partner chose to make a gaming computer that optimizes surface area, and a keyboard that optimizes volume. We modelled the gaming PC after the Alienware aurora r11 and the keyboard after the steel series apex 3. This project was a partner project and during this project I contributed in many ways. One of which was coming up with the ideas to make a PC and keyboard but I didn’t build both of them. I made the 3D model for the alien ware Gaming PC and I also made all the calculations for my part of the project. We also had to make a keynote presentation and for that I made most of the slides. To make the 3D model we used a free software called “Tinkercad” which seems easy to use which it was, but it was very laggy sometimes and also just wouldn’t work some times. After using it for about a week it got easier to use because I had a general knowledge about how everything worked so it got better.

Here is the final 3D model: 

And here are all the calculations I had to make to calculate the surface area and volume of each object:

In total, the surface area of the whole PC was 150,734.85 mm^2 And the total volume was 138,188.34 mm^3. Also the ratio for surface area to volume was 1.1:1. To see what the keyboard looks like go to my partners blog post about the same subject https://www.blog44.ca/maxr.

Now for curricular competencies.

In conclusion, I’ve never really been the biggest fan of calculating sides of a rectangular prism or other basic 3D shapes like that, but after doing it in a fun way by making a 3D model of something that I find cool, I am happy to do it.

Comments

I like Dalton models (chemistry coding)

I wanted to start this blog post by answering the driving question. But first I am going to explain the name that I game this blog post “I like Dalton models”. If you didn’t already know, John Dlaton was a creator of one of the most famous atomic models, there have been so many different ones but I find Dalton’s to be the most simplistic and easiest to understand. Here is  the dalton model for a nitrogen particle.

Now back to the driving question, for this project it was “How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory”. My answer is through simulations and fun but educational games. Atoms and molecules are so small you need a special microscope to see them. So people make simulations and games to make people understand what happens when certain things are added to atoms and molecules. For example if heat is added to a ice cube more kinetic energy is added which makes the molecules move faster and leads it to become water. And if you add even more, the molecules will start moving a lot faster which will lead it to become a gas. The opposite happens when you make it colder because the kinetic energy will start getting taken away which leads the molecules to go slower and slower which will lead them to become water and then ice. At the beginning of the project, we did a mind map like we do for most projects and also at the end we did one. Here they both are:

What most people did for this project was make a simulation on scratch showing all of what I was just talking about, but there was another option, that option was to make a game and I did. To make the game I used a free coding website called scratch and in the end my game explained the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory in a fun way. It took a wile to fully understand how scratch worked but after time it got easier and easier. My game is technically a rip off of Super Mario bros. but I made it a little different in ways that I needed to. Like the gumbas and Koopa troopas are all different molecules that form fire, oh and the character is a ice cube by the way. Also during the game every couple levels it gets warmer and warmer which leads the character to become water and then vapour. And wile that is happening there is a GIF playing in the top right showing you what the molecules are doing wile they are in a certain state. 

If you want to check out my game click here super ice man

And if you were wondering, the code in scratch looks like this:

And now for the curricular competencies. They are always mostly the same but just a little different for certain things about the project.

Questioning and predicting: All class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions.

I feel that I did this one good because the only time that I wasn’t doing something productive was during break and the only time that I would be watching something is a video on how to do certain things in scratch.

Scientific communication: Several different atoms/molecules, different states of matter, and particle motion are represented in the finished product. A historical model of the atom is chosen and implemented.

I did this one good because I added all those things even if it made the game screen a little cluttered and I used more than one historical model of the atom and molecule.

Reasoning and analyzing: An interactive Scratch coded matter simulator or game is created with logical conditions and functional user controls.

I did this one good because I made it very interactive by being able to move the character in any direction and well it is a game.

In conclusion, I never really knew how to code before this project but I already feel that I am a pro at using scratch.

Make sure to go check out these two peoples blogs because they helped me a whole lot with understanding scratch.

http://www.blog44.ca/theryns/  http://www.blog44.ca/noahd/

Comments

Things have changed indeed (final project for quarter 3)

Watch this YouTube video

What you just watched was the final product of my “The more things change” project. And if you were wondering, the driving question for that project was “What did European settlement mean for all the people involved?”. At the end of each project we are supposed to answer the driving question but the thing is, I already did! In the form of a thesis statement, the same thesis statement that was at the beginning of the video you just watched. If you didn’t watch the video or you just weren’t paying attention wile watching it, the thesis statement is this “European Settlement changed the way of life for First Peoples. Although there have been changes in the relationship between the government and First Nations, treaties and trading are still present today”. 

If you still aren’t already convinced that I learned something form this project, I am now going to talk about the evidence of my learning. The first thing that I want to talk about is milestone 1. I enjoyed doing this and I feel that I learn a lot from it because it really made me think about a big part of the project, continuity and change. Milestone 1 was this, everyone went outside and sat down somewhere in the forest, and wrote down what we think the area that we live in was like 100 years ago. I really enjoyed it. The next thing that I want to talk about is milestone 3. The final product for this project is a infographic with 3 facts, a thesis statement, a statement about continuity and change and 4 graphics about European settlement. But we then adapted it into a YouTube video. But what I really enjoyed about milestone 3 is that it is the part of the project were we find the facts and make the graphics. I had  multiple drafts but I ended up with these:  

The HBC one and the hands shaking are for the continuity and change statement.

I also want to talk about the final milestone, milestone 5. I really liked this because what we had to hand in is a photo of me and my partner in front of our final infographic that we put somewhere in the school. I did this with a partner by the way, go check out his blog (blog44.ca/lucap).

In conclusion, European settlement is a big topic to do in school and schools all around the world do projects about it, but I think that making a infographic about it was a very fun way to learn and teach others at the same time. 

Comments

DI post

DI also known as destination imagination, is a competition that multiple schools all around the world compete in every year. Pretty much what it is, in my case a group of six people are assigned a category there is technical, fine arts, scientific (what my group did) and engineering. Each group has a different challenge and strict rules to follow wile doing it. In my case, I had scientific and we had to make a video with a documentary type style. The things that we had to include are: the video had to tell a story about a scientific law being bent or broken, it shows how it is bent or broken, it has to include a expert and a witness, documentary style filming techniques and has to present two team choice elements* that show off the team’s interests.

That isn’t the only thing that we had to do, we had to make props, a story and a script (which took a LONG time). Why you might ask, it’s because we always knew we could do better and the teachers knew that two when ever we presented to them. So we kept restarting until we had it to the best we could. Before i show you the final video there are some other things that we had to do before even filming. Those things are forms, lots and lots of forms that we had to fill out. Also we did practices and a final instant challenge. A instant challenge is something that you usually only have around 10 minutes to think about but this year we got a whole day if I’m not mistaken. The people judging give you a challenge on the spot and you and your team have to do it. It can be anywhere form building a bridge with a set amount of materials to making a presentation about a country that you have to make up. You are probably eager to know what my groups was about, bit I’m not allowed saying anything about it because we don’t want people to know what we did.

Now the final challenge video is a different story because we already sent it to the judges and cant change anything. So here is my teams final video.

In conclusion, my sister told me a lot about DI before we even started it, I even saw her perform her’s 3 times over the years and I always thought that it would be fun. And now I know that it really is

*two aspects that aren’t chosen by the organizers, but are chosen by the team them self.

Comments

Growth mindset post

If you wondering what the growth mindset challenge is, which you probably were, it is what we did for a hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the last couple months. We learned about everything that it takes to get a growth mindset and we even wrote a journal about each step. If you want to read it go here.

An Amazing Book About Developing A Growth Mindset

But that was only one of the things that we had to do. The other thing was making a “quote” about something that your growth mindset will help you get, then add it to a photo that has you inside it. For example here is the one I did.

In conclusion, the growth mindset challenge was very fun just like the blogging challenge that we did at the same time and I am happy that after every time we did the challenge in class I am so close to having a growth mindset.

Comments

Argh matey Summative post

For this project the driving question was “What was the impact of global exploration?” And like most of the summative posts that I’ve done, there are multiple answers. One of the answers would be new trade routes. Did you know that tomatoes were given to the Europeans by the “Americans”? So before Christopher Columbus found them the Italians never made pizza or pasta of any kind. And another big impact was travel. If the Europeans never left their countries and set out looking for new people and new land, then millions of “Americans” never would have went to Europe or any part of Asia for vacation.

The final product that we were supposed to have for this project was an augmented reality video showing the impact of global exploration. There were lots of steps going up to that final product and one of which was watching a movie (captain Phillips) and others were “more” related to making a video. One thing that I really enjoyed doing was the story spine and ar object story board. I really liked it because that is the part where we make our whole story and the objects that we will see in the video. And of course I really enjoyed making the script and filming the final video. If you want to see it just click on this video.

To conclude, this project was really fun and it surprises me the amount of things that we did in just two weeks.

Comments (1)

Blogging challenge audit

This challenge has been so fun and I feel that I did it well for the most part but there are some things that I could have done better like try to figure out why the kahoot links aren’t working or maybe working on my sentence structure a bit. The posts that we could decide what we do (day 3 and 10) were definitely my favourite but I also liked day 5 because we could put what ever widgets we wanted (but they had to be useful). I’m not the best at auditing my work so here is a video of one of my friends auditing one of my newest posts (go check out his blog https://blog44.ca/dylans).

I hope that the video was a better audit than I did earlier in this post.

In conclusion, at first I didn’t think that I would like doing this blogging challenge but I have learned to like every minute of it.

Comments

« Previous entries Next Page »