Halloween Movie Response
Thursday November 07th 2019, 5:29 am
Filed under: Humanities

Hello, and welcome to the first post of a unit that I have been anticipating, yet dreading for months. The horror unit. This post is my analysis and response to watching the original Halloween by John Carpenter from 1978. So, without further ado, this is my response to Halloween.

I want to begin by talking abut the horror. This is a horror film, so most important to the picture is what makes this movie particularly horrific. This movie is fascinating, and a trendsetter in a lot of ways if we look at how the horror is presented, and how it sets up our main antagonist, Michael Myers. The underlying, undeniable, and constant feeling of absence. For example the absence of understanding. Throughout the movie, from curtain open to curtain close we are never let into Michael’s head. We never learn of any motivation or morals at all. That is the seed for great horror, gaps in malicious intent or events that the watcher must fill in with his or her worst fears or dreads. The film doesn’t explain what Michael is exactly doing or why, and it doesn’t intend to either. It allows you to create your own story, and because of that we all have our own version of Michael Myers that could be watching us at night as we walk home. That’s the beauty and perfection of this movie, you feel like it could happen to you. And that, is terrifying.

Building off the idea of absence I want to briefly talk about camera and audio work. John Carpenter does a beautiful job of drawing out suspense. There are so many scenes that draw out long, quiet stretches with very little dialogue and maybe some sound effects. Whether you see Michael or not, whether his signature music is upping your blood pressure or not. You start to lean forward. In those pauses you look around. Could he come from there? Did that move? What’s that in the background? Having people that paranoid at nothing makes them astronomically more terrified when something actually happens

Enough of my opinion, I want to open up the door of time, and step into the era when this was set. In the 70s a lot of film “refused to give audiences easy explanations or closure”(Eggert) and this was reflective of the beginning of the unknown in the media. For example in events like the Vietnam war, we were left with little closure or complete conclusion that fit continuity. People were left confused and scared of the unknown and unexplained. Carpenter plays those heartstrings with Halloween. The introduction and suggestion at the idea of mental health, and the fantastic quote from Dr. Loomis, saying :”This isn’t a man”(Carpenter). The people were yet again, questioning and beginning to mistrust the world around them. And Carpenter filled that with horror.

John Carpenter uses suspense beautifully throughout the film, in a timeless fashion. Even today watching it my whole class jumped at the slightest inclination of seeking good ol’ Mike pop on screen. That’s the beauty of the film. Carpenter uses suspense like the famous Alfred Hitchcock, something that “the audience is aware of but the film’s characters are not.”(Eggert). That feeling of wanting to yell ‘DON’T GO IN THERE’ is exactly what Carpenter wanted you to feel.

Finally, I want to finish by relating to a book I am reading in class. Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus is a book written over a hundred years before Michael Myers slashed his way into our hearts and nightmares. In that book we follow the journey of Victor Frankenstein and his Creature. What’s fascinating is the similarities of the Creature and Michael Myers. It may come across as opposition thought. Because we spend a good chunk of Frankenstein learning of the Creatures internal struggles, but never even get a word out of Michael. But thats change though time. At the time of the novel, entering that realm of insecurity of humanity would’ve been just as disturbing as the lack of apparent motivation for Michael. Two texts. Over a century apart, yet they do nod the hat to one another.

WORKS CITED

Carpenter, Jon, director. Halloween . Compass International , 1978.

Eggert, Brian. “Halloween.” Deep Focus Review, Deep Focus Review, 25 Oct. 1978, https://deepfocusreview.com/definitives/halloween/.

No Comments so far