Final PLP Project Ever, Part 1: Back in Time
Sunday May 24th 2020, 8:21 pm
Filed under: Humanities

So, this is it. After 5 years of creation, reflection, revision, and blog posts, this is my last ever Humanities project in the Performance Learning Program. 98 blog posts so far, 5 grades, countless units, and here we are. I don’t want to say it’s a relief, but it is definitely satisfying. Anyways, on to the project…

The whole goal of the school system that I am mere inches from completing is to take children and assist them in becoming ‘Educated and empowered citizens.’ What does that mean? Great question. It’s basically a really fancy cut-out from a longwinded letter saying that throughout a students journey through the education system they become more prepared individuals for todays world. Myself and the rest of the grade 12 students are now all at that point. Now we are those citizens, we’re let loose in the world to change it. Hopefully for the better. That’s what this project is about. About fighting the power. It’s called; Fight the Power.

The first mini-assignment in this unit is actually a repeat. From grade 9, the ‘Who’s at my Table’ role models assignment. Check out my tragic grade 9 writing and questionable role models below.

My Role Models

If it wasn’t apparent, that was more than 3 years ago and a lot has changed in my life and the world since. So, to begin the last PLP project in which we speak to how we will take our learnings in school and ‘Fight the Power’ with them, why not update who inspires us and builds us to who we are. This time we also included a mission statement, a few words that embody what inspires and drives us. In no particular order, here we go. Who’s at my table, Part 2

Mike Darbyshire

Mike is without a doubt the person who has influenced me most as a person throughout my life. (Aside from my immediate family). Mike is a multi-time Canadian SUP champion, he basically wrote the book on Canadian SUP, an athlete at the 2019 Pan-Am games, the 2016 ISA SUP World Championships, the founder of the Deep Cove Advanced Race Team (where I learned my sport), and so many more things I could list. What’s more important is what this all means to me. I first met Mike when I was 12. My brother has just started paddling. At the time I was still playing high level hockey and was still intimidated by this new sport. Mike welcomed me in, and in 2015 he created a youth racing team that I joined. In 2018 he hired me at Deep Cove Kayak, where he is the Manager. Since then Mike has taught me everything I know about SUP, water sports in general, class, professionalism, commitment, training, and just about any other trait I have today. He inspired and taught it all. On the left is a picture of him (left) talking to me in Tofino. That weekend was the time he taught me how to SUP surf. On the left is Mike (who is a little smaller compared to me now…), my brother Evan and me. This was taken in 2019 after we went 1-2-3 on the podium for the Men’s National SUP Championship. I’m so proud to call Mike a mentor and friend, he built the world I have thrived in and I am so honoured to share podiums with him. (Even if he is on top of those podiums).

Lincoln Dews

Lincoln Dews is a multi-time SUP racing world champion, a professional waterman, super, sailor, and a man who truly pushes the boundaries of water sport around the world. He constantly is stepping away from what a single disciplinary athlete is, changing the landscape of any sport he is involved with by performing at impressive levels, but also with class. Lincoln and I are both a part of team Blackfish Paddles and because of this, in 2019 I was able to spend close to a month training with him, competing against him, and getting to know him and his lifestyle. What inspires me most about Lincoln is not his numerous titles and achievements, it is his character. He is so dedicated to all of his sports, training harder than any athlete I’ve ever seen in any sport, yet he still does it with a smile on his face, a welcoming attitude to anyone, and an open mind to change of competitions, training, team, anything. He balances it all perfectly. When I first met him he was training my brother and I from Australia while still finishing a degree in recreation and athletic education! He is an athlete that I idolize and admire, but spending time and getting to know his commitment and character, that is what has been truly inspirational to me as an athlete, a student, and a person.

Tinker Hatfield

Tinker Hatfield is a shoe designer for Nike. He is most famous for designing Michael Jordan’s, Air Jordans model 3-15, as well as the Air Max 1, the Air Mag from Back to the Future, and a catalogue of other models. This may seem like an odd choice, I know. Yes, I do see his work as revolutionary, and if he hadn’t had done what he did, the world’s biggest sports brand would not be what it is. What inspires me about Tinker is his eye for change, and motivation to follow what you believe will better others. He designed footwear with the athletes in mind, but also with design as he come from an architectural background. He also designed the first ever self-lacing shoe system, the Nike Adapt. He continues to be a pioneer. What inspires me about him is his constant ability and motivation to create change. By simply putting an air bubble in a shoe, some would argue he jump started the whole brand Nike. He is a person who uses his talents to benefit others and change the world. That, is inspirational to me, and millions around the world. I can only speak so much about his journey, character, and attitude. I would highly recommend this documentary Netflix did on him and his story. It will emphasize my point.

Joe Santagato

Joe Santagato has inspired and shaped me in two ways. His content has helped me by making me laugh every time I listen or watch, and his business I have seen grow has been inspirational to me, who’s dream is to one day start my own. I started watching his YouTube Channel back in probably 2015. originally I watched simply because I enjoyed watching a loud funny man from New York make jokes. But over time he started to build. He started his own company, Santagato Studios and currently that company produces: 4 podcasts, available in video or audio, content on 2 YouTube channels as well as merchandise. What inspires me about Joe is similar to what inspires him. His first and biggest podcast is called The Basement Yard because it was started in his moms basement. He built a brand and company from nothing. I admire that, someone who uses the many platforms that exist today and build a brand. A brand that foundations are inspiring, yet content is comedy. I have actually been inspired by Joe before, for my grade 10 winter exhibition project I referenced him in my post about creating my project.

Winter Exhibition 2017

Khary Durgans

Last but definitely not least is Khary Drugans, known in the music industry as simply Khary. I started listening to his music in 2016 when he released his album called Intern AquariumOn the album, and to this day, he uses the metaphor of the “Intern” to describe himself and other humble and hardworking individuals who work for satisfaction and goals rather than monetary value. And the “Intern Aquarium” being the way that society attempts to trap and limit these people. Since 2016 his music has been a staple in my library. Even though he hasn’t broken onto the mainstream he has continued at his craft, keeping the same style his fans like me love, and continuing to work for self satisfaction and goals. I have been shaped by his words in his music, and his attitude towards everything. I would recommend his music to anyone, and as I write this post I am currently listening to his new single Satellites & Rearview Mirrors. I would recommend it.

Summary

So what connects all of these people? Individual image and personal brands that inspire others. A core idea that I hold close to me for today and the future. Whether it’s because they start teams that teach me the my best sport, change the world of that sport, change the world of shoes, redefine what a brand can be and be from, or even write music and an image about that idea. All of these people in their individual way have shaped me to become who I am today, as well as who I want to be in the future professionally and personally.

No Comments so far