WW2 Podcasts

https://soundcloud.com/user-335030245/ep-13-jack-purdie

Recently in humanities 10 we have been interviewing WW2 veterans and creating podcasts with their audio. My group and I (Melika and Jamie) went to Shanon Oaks, in Vancouver to interview a man named Jack Purdie who was a trained Tail Gunner in WW2. 

Now our project did not start then though, we had to spend months researching podcasts and listening to different versions and categories to help us to understand what certain podcasts contain. In the end my favorite podcast ended up being  10% Happier with Dan Harris. I strongly recomend you take a listen!

As well as the podcasts we had to listen to we also had to learn about WW2 and what battles were fought there, and what turning points were important for us to remember. We took notes every class as we read about such topics, but we also knew that this information would come in handy once we begun the actual creation of our podcasts because we had to talk to someone about their experience at such time. 

Now talking about the actual creation of the podcast, I wanted to talk about what steps went into the final product. 

1. We started by picking which WW2 veteran to interview. There was a list of about 5-6 veterans and I decided to pick Jack Purdie, along with Melika and Jamie. After we had picked our veteran we had to do a little background research on the person. Ms. Maxwell wanted us to know a little bit of the story of the person before showing up to interview them. 

2. The next step was a little trickier. We had to send out an email to the veteran or a close family member to tell them that we would like to interview them, and that it was for a school project. 

3. While we waited for a response we started to plan out our podcast, not word for word, because we didn’t have an interview yet, but we got to decide what topics we might be covering and what the main story of our podcast would be. I chose to cover kind of the end and that my podcast would be the last in order out of the group of us. 

4. Once we had a interview date set in stone it was our job to get there. My mom drove my group and I out to the middle of Vancouver and dropped us off. We were at Shanon Oaks an assisted living home in Vancouver. It really was quite a nice place and I was a little jealous! We met up with Jack Purdie and his daughter Colleen, and figured out a quite place to complete our interview. Mr. Purdie had so much to say and it was so incredible to hear what he had to say about the war, Mr. Purdie did not get the chance to fight in the war (which is definitely not a bad thing) but he was trained as a tail gunner. If you want to hear more about his training listen to Jamie’s podcast. 

6. Now once we had completed the interview it was our job to take the 50 minutes of interview and turn it into a 5-7 minute interview focused on a certain topic that helps to show our driving question. 

7. Now I believe that this is the last stage, well this and sending the podcasts out to the people we interviewed. I strongly recommend that you listen to a few of them because the class did an amazing job with them! 

Heres my podcast!

Thanks for reading!

Published by

4 thoughts on “WW2 Podcasts