Destination imagination regional tournament

DI seems to have come and gone very quickly this year. So before its fully forgotten, and provincials is just around the corner, I would like to reflect and consider the tournament that has just passed (regionals). 

In Destination Imagination this year I was placed in a team with Jessie, Marshall, Lucas, Kai and Luca. I really liked my team from the beginning. We complemented each other’s strengths and weaknesses, while also being able to be honest and give people the hard truth. A lot happened in a little bit of time. We decided our challenge, (which we were lucky enough to get,) and we got our team name and the rest just fell into place. (With a little bit of shoving!) We decided that our team name would be the KABOBZ, a letter from each of our last names! We also started to plan around our challenge guide lines. We chose the fine arts challenge.

In this challenge we had to pick a game that we could tell a story about and share with the appraisers, when the time came. We also had to be able to fit all the props or costumes or even the backdrop into one container. We got to work right away by planing what game we would choose to complete the regulations of the challenge. We set out a bunch of different game ideas from everyone in our group, and voted on which one would be the best.

In the end we choose the game of life, and decided to focus on what happiness and success really means in the game of life. We framed the story around the fact that you can’t leave the game without having at least one kid, and being married. And at the end of the game the winner is the player with the most money, and that is the only way that you can win. So when we brainstormed our story we thought we would toy around with that fact. 

Now once we had a story plan and a presentation plan, we got to work. We decided on the roles for our group. Jessie had the role of creating the story, and helping to paint the background, Luca had the role of creating our technical element, which was a game of life spinner, lucas and Marshall were on anything that wasn’t very prominent, the music the team choice elements, etc, Kai’s role was to finish forms, and I helped Jessie painting and was the team organizer, we all had very equal jobs.

We all complete our roles and responsibilities piece by piece. I was really proud of the work we completed as a team and when we practiced I felt that we had all put time and effort into the final product and I was very happy because of that. 

We had our provincial competition on Saturday March 9th. I was preparing with my group for the most of my time, and then it was our time to present. I was a bit nervous, but I knew that for the first time, I was really excited to present because we were all proud of the final product we had created. The presentation went really well, aside from one little stutter with our lines, but we got lots of laughs, which none of us were preparing for! We were all a little shocked! 

After the presentation my whole group was super happy about how it had gone. In the end we got 2nd out of 2, but I think since we had fun, that’s all that really mattered!

Reflection 

This season of Destination Imagination went really well because I felt that my team worked so well complementing and helping each other throughout the challenge. I learned a bit about de stressing and feeling in control for once. I felt that I would focus my reflection on the fact that for some reason this DI I felt that I didn’t have to worry to the point where it got in my. I knew that my team would pull it together in the end no matter what. I felt this way becuase throughout the challenge we continued to stay on top of our work, but also the team was very creative and if in doubt I knew they would make it work. So what I have taken out of this is that if I am stressed just remember that my stressing is not improving the situation, but if I take the time to figure out the problem and take steps to fix it I will be in a better place!

Thank you for reading, and I hope you learned a bit about our DI presentation. 

Published by