This Week I Learned (Week 2)

MACBETH

AND BABY BOOMERS

1950’s and Today

I have been taking notes in class to understand post war America, and what really when down in the 50’s. This week while Ms Willemse was giving us the rundown of boomers, something really stood out to me. The fact that for the first time ever people began to market things to the kids, because of the booming economy, and booming generation, company’s were able to make things look really attractive to the kids, instead of their parents.

Most company’s focused all their marketing attention towards baby boomers because they enlarged the economy, and had the most to spend. Many company’s still provide specific marketing towards boomers, even though they are 55-75 years old now. Companies do this because boomers even though old, still support most of the economy. On average many boomers buy plenty of things that are not of importance, and purchase many things for grandkids, and family members. They also purchase things that bring them positions of power if they can, super cars, big houses, spa retreats, fancy clothing, and lots of jewelry. Many of these purchases would be brought to a minimum if marketers slowed the output of boomer oriented products, this is where I can tie it into Macbeth. I was very interested in the way that Macbeth is manipulated in Act 1 Scene 7, and used that information for my TWIL last week, and for this week I would like to use the same information, but shape it towards a different concept. 

Macbeth

When Lady Macbeth manipulates Macbeth, she’s really just changing her marketing solution. She making the murder look more appetizing to Macbeth, so that he thinks he has no other option, which really is what good marketing’s all about.

You have to sell your product so that people believe that nothing else will do the same job, or do a better job. Lady Macbeth does an excellent job at marketing to Macbeth, which makes the audience believe that this wasn’t her first rodeo, but it doesn’t end here. 

In Act 3 scene 1, Macbeth uses this power to his benefit. He has hired 2 murderers to kill Banquo and his son, but he doesn’t want the blood traced souly back to him with no reason, so he convinces the murderers that Banquo is this terrible person that deserves to die, and by the end of his marketing, he has them sold.

In this scene Macbeth uses Lady Macbeths tactic of selling to the audience to achieve a reason for killing Banquo. 

I decided to express this connection between marketing to baby boomers and the killing of Duncan and Banquo through the creation of an add!

This is an example of an add that originates from the 1950’s era. I decided to use this add as the template for my add!

Published by

One thought on “This Week I Learned (Week 2)

1. I found your angle about how Lady Macbeth uses clinical percision in her marketing of the murder. I had never thought about it and that way and I found it rather enlightening