Hello, and welcome to this beautiful post about workplace safety. This was a short unit we did in Maker for Career Education. Even though we didn’t really have a full on project I really enjoyed this project because it gave me lots of knowledge and I am now aware of what to do when I feel unsafe in a working environment. This is really important and just in time because right after this unit came to an end I started handing out my resume to different places. Yes, I am a deli boy now. I got a job at Safeway in the deli. I’m really glad that I did this unit in school because I’m going into training for the deli on May 19 and now I know all the things they should teach me including the three main areas we learnt about in a work trainee video. The three things employers are required to do are to give orientation, training, and then supervision. Throughout this unit I have learnt a lot of things that will be used in my new working environment to ensure my safety. I hope you can get get a better understanding of what I learnt through this post.

Viewer discretion is advised!!! The above video does have some graphic images and explicit content. It is a good video about some of the extreme cases of injuries that have happened to you workers who don’t have the right training. I am going to say though it is very gruesome video and an unnamed student passed out from it in class, so you’ve been warned. Now for a few statistics about young workers getting injured on the job. In BC alone the average of one young worker is injured every hour, and a total of thirty four are injured every working day. This is crazy to think about and shows just how careful you have to be especially that you are getting the right training. This video showed me just what can happen and real world experiences of people who have actually had there whole lives changed just because they were undereducated. At the deli I am going to ensure I get the right training.

All workplaces are governed by the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation which outlines the legal safety requirements that must be met. It is very long so no one is expected to memorize it, but employers and workers should be familiar with it. We started getting to know them by reading questions and looking through the online manual to find the answers. It had many things in it including what gear you must include and the max sound workers are allowed to be exposed to. In class we did a little experiment to see how loud it actually can be in a workplace environment and we were astonished that its only allowed to be the volume of roughly a motor cycle. After becoming more familiar with all the rules and regulations we felt more confident. What were we confident for? A test. On Monday we all take a multiple choice test that has twenty workplace safety questions on it and we have to get a seventy five percent to pass. I know this doesn’t sound like PLP, although if we pass this test we get a workplace safety certificate.

I think a huge habit of mind that I have been working on during this quick unit and will need to continue through learning how to use the machines at the deli is remaining open to curious learning. I will need to be able to continue to learn how to be safe in a new working environment and it’s key that I pay attention to detail and ask lots of questions. Of course this brings me to my second habit of mind, questioning and problem posing. If I’m unsure for something I just need to ask because that itself can make working a safer environment for young workers like me. Anyways I hope you enjoyed this post and I’m signing off with a juxtaposition advertisement like the ones we learnt about in grade eight. I hope you like it and it’s supposed to help people become more aware of where to get all the knowledge on workplace safety. Anyways here’s the ad.

Until next time… Aedan Loughran