Hey y’all welcome back to another blog post. Today I am talking about what happened the last two weeks and what my thoughts were in terms of our assignments and class activities in this project.

The last two weeks have been pretty hectic not gonna lie. We’ve had many many assignments to complete and many in-class lectures, which were actually pretty interesting though. The assignments included our story spines, research, episode outlines and scripts. And the lecture’s topics were diversity, the constitution, globalization and international involvement. 

At the beginning of week two, I finalized and decided who I was going to chose to be my Greatest Canadian, and I chose the one and only Alessia Cara. If you don’t know who she is, just search it up, because you’ve obviously been living under a rock. Just kidding, all jokes.

Alessia Cara is a Canadian singer and songwriter who has become very successful for the messages she tells in her songs and for her absolute bomb tunes obviously. But to hear more about her and what makes her so amazing, you will have to listen to my podcast episode ;). 

One of the lectures in the past 2 weeks that struck me the most was the lecture about the Charter of Rights and Freedoms otherwise known as the Constitution act of 1982. More specifically about Québec never actually officially becoming a part of Canada. 

I found that stupid that they hadn’t joined the constitution. But then I realized, I hadn’t heard the reasons Québec had to not sign the constitution. So, I decided to talk to my french-Canadian mom about it and do some research myself.

“The kitchen accord”, otherwise know as “La nuit des longs couteaux” in Québec, was when Pierre-Eliotte Trudeau actually brought together 9 out of 10 provinces, leaving out Quebec in the discussion in the middle of the night. René Lévesque (the minister at the time for Québec) came to the hotel they were all staying at the next morning and found out that Trudeau made all the decisions for the constitution behind his back.

Pierre-Eliotte Trudeau wanted separation from Britain, so took the Canadian constitution from Britain. There was a meeting with a group called “The group of eight” which consisted of everyone but the representative of Ontario and New Brunswick. And they submitted a constitutional plan that did not include a charter of human rights but recognizing a right of veto to the provinces for constitutional changes. The Supreme Court of Canada then ruled that the federal government was legally authorized to carry out an unilateral patrion of the constitution but that it should preferably try to come to an agreement with a substantial number of provinces. The number was intentionally left undefined but Trudeau arbitrarily placed it between 5-9  which led to a meeting between Trudeau and all the premiers in Ottowa, leaving out René Lévesque, the representative Québec. Then, he later found out that morning that they had come up with the decision without him. Québec then lost it’s veto over future constitutional change. And another reason Quebec wouldn't sign was a part in the Charter of Rights which guaranteed minority language rights "where numbers warrant." This would have meant the end of Quebec's Bill 101 by protecting English language rights in Quebec (while at the same time protecting French language rights in the rest of Canada).

So there you have it. Now after reading these, it’s quite reasonable that Québec didn’t want to sign the constitution. But, what I’m curious about is the fact that when we were talking about this in class, they didn’t really mention exactly why Québec didn’t sign.

Anyways that’s it for now, see y’all next week.