Great Events Throughout History

What is the difference between the past and history? I seemed to think very little of these two words in comparison to one another until we started our newest unit called… The Manhattan Project! Basically, the past is anything that has ever happened, ever! I really mean things like someone sleeping or brushing their teeth. Sounds quite small compared to the invention of time or electricity. But that’s where history comes in. History is something notable, widespread, and symbolic. It has the ability to shape a large group and can be well known around the world. There can be many debates on history and the interpretations of history are often different amongst others. Like the common question, “if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, did it really happen?”

After learning about different events in history and what makes them important I decided to learn about the history of anesthesia. Pain is a common experience the entirety of humans share. We have many different ways to relieve pain and continue to do research on the best ways to relieve pain while having the least negative effects on the body. I was very curious about how anesthesia works as it is shared in hospitals and available for many people if it is needed all over the world. It is interesting how it can induce sleep and cause a numbness over the body, but still allow basic function and has the ability to be easily reversed. 

There are three main categories of anesthesia for pain relief. General, which takes over the entire body and mind, local anesthetic which causes relief in a very small area, and regional which provides loss of sensation to a major part of the body while still allowing your mind to be awake. Before anesthesia was invented in 1846 people would go through surgeries and medical procedures having to endure tremendous amounts of pain. These were very life threatening and caused a great amount of stress on the body. The thought of being a surgeon or a doctor and having to watch patients suffer is unimaginable during the era before anesthesia. 

When anesthesia was used for the first time by young Boston dentist William Morton in collaboration with the great John Warren history was made. Maybe not right there and then but I think they must if had some sort of gut feeling they had a big impact when their patient stayed pain free and under during the procedure. Morten used a gas called ether that when inhaled through an endotracheal tube it puts patients under. After this discovery the art of anesthesia was continuously developed by scientists, doctors, dentists, and anesthesiologists all over the world. Without the historical development surgery, pain management, and procedures would not be what they are today.

Modern anesthesia has been developed and we have a better ability to monitor the patient today to make adjustments. Anesthesiologists today generally have a work station consisting of everything they need to monitor the patients and inhibit the medication. The modern anesthesia workstation consists of gas delivery and scavenging, vaporizers, electronic flow meters, the ventilator, and the monitors. We also have to ability to use low flow or closed loop delivery. The ability and the technology to monitor patients has made surgery much easier, the recovery shorter, and the stress of pain tolerable. 

Although we have now been using anesthesia for a significant amount of time we have not been able to fully understand its entire effect on the body. Through much discovery and research off of hypotheses we understand that local anesthetic blocks nerve transmission to pain centres in the central nervous system. General Anesthesia  is more complicated as it blocks all pain receptors, induces sleep in a coma like state, and still allows the body to maintain homeostasis. Like then ability to manage blood pressure, temperature, and breathing.

The lipid hypothesis  is based on “the disruption of heterogeneous clusters of lipids called lipid rafts. This triggers the opening of ion channels and ultimately stops the neutron from firing.” As we know the dosage of anesthetics is related to their solubility in lipids the medical mysteries are able to unravel more. To experiment, Dr, Lerner used fruit flies, cell studies, and nanoscale microscopy to model cells under different mediums. The first was chloroform that used to be used as an anaesthetic and saw that it caused the cells to pack tightly together. This is just one way of modelling the effect of anesthetics on cells. Since we are still learning about how to human brain functions and how the puzzle pieces fit together it is complicated to try and understand the concept of anesthesiology and the impact it has on the human brain. With further research and new technology we are getting closer to the last piece and having the ability for fully understand the cell process and the impact of each individuals body.

And that’s a Wrap

Hi and welcome back to another blog post! We have just completed a project with the main focus being ‘how should we govern ourselves?’ So much work and leaning has gone into this project over the past month and a half and now it is time to share! We learned and completed milestones such as the Election Reflection, Statement of Intent, a press release, and finally submitting our campaign video.

Deciding how we should govern ourselves was a very difficult task especially going into the project and figuring out I didn’t know as much about the government as I thought. And then having to be able to find a structure that would have the best outcome while still being reasonable and attainable. By the end I found I have really learned about the structure of government, the different parties, the different levels of government, and how we as society are impacted.

The first leap into the government piece of the project was going over democracy and how the government is structured . We then looked at political ideologies and worked on finding where we stand. We were given ideas and resources for further research to come up with a better understanding to then be able to make our best judgement. We also watched a zoom call with the candidates running for the Burnaby-Seymour riding which we could potentially be able to vote for in the next few years.

Election Reflection

In my first post I researched proportional representation and how government systems would be impacted. In my last blog post I did a deeper dive. And some thoughts on what would happen if the legal voting age was to be lowered. The results of the government would most definitely be changed.

When we completed the blog post with some of our ideas on how we could govern ourselves and  make a change, we were put into groups to create the party. It took time, several revisions and decisions later we started to make our conclusions.  After much thought and discussion my group, the Dominion Revival Party worked through the project. Including creating a platform and a final video . I worked with Grace, Owen, and Brenton who have come up with great blog posts on our platform and intentions on their own sites.

Watch our video here!!!

It was a difficult task at first to try and align our ideas on how the government should run and create a party that would represent that each of us wanted accordingly and fairly. We looked into the structure of government and the electoral districts. By looking into the amount of people in each district we can ensure that they are as balanced as possible to represent everyone equally while still having MP’s for each riding. By revising the senate, power of the mps, and electoral districts the changes will most definitely have an impact.

My Main Question

After all the information and ways to change and better ourselves to create a better government my brain keeps going back to the same thought. How has our government been kept nearly the same for several decades, yet everything and everyone is constantly evolving and changing. If you look at medicine for example, the technology and research is spectacular and still going up exponentially. If you look at surgery being laprascopic now and making tiny incisions vs being extremely life threatening. Of course it still holds risks but they are constantly decreasing. I wonder if the system of government will ever go through a big change. Changing a system would be quite scary to many but also a chance for new growth. The plan would have to be immensely good for the population to decide to change as many thoughts on government are very controversial. Down below is my test answer…

As human population increases and technology advances, brain power is increased therefore we excel more quickly. This is my idea on how information impacts us and how we have evolved over time. New information and ideas are collected, constantly edited, and revised to benefit the people. By listening and being attentive to what is around us we can learn and form new ideas and thoughtful opinions. My question is why the government is still the same after 154 years and not one thing has been changed. I believe that people are not fairly represented and not every vote is weighted the same. If we change the ridings and review them every census instead of every two they can be adjusted responsibly. Currently with the voting system many are swayed between voting for the prime minister and voting  for their mp. By keeping the first past the post system and electing mps that will represent your specific needs within your area this doesn’t have to be a problem. With the power of more decisions placed in the mps hands and having more votes we will have solutions that better represent the specific issues. By also reviewing the senate laws and having the people being represented fairly the senate would be there to join the leading party to make national issues resolved. It’s time for new ideas in the government. We are forever evolving and changing and we need to bring as much as we cans with us.

Moving just this year the day before school was a major change and with the completely new style of learning in PLP my brain feels like it is going non stop. But in a good way. One of my  favourite parts of the program is using CRAFT  and having access to all my thoughts and ideas linked together which I may have forgotten or can be easily edited and then used in the future. I love having all my ideas and then having the ability to write assignments easier once the foundation is built. When we had our final test(above) on how we should govern ourselves and although it seemed like a lot to have to write about and think about in a short amount of time it came much easier having my thoughts and ideas available.

By the end of the project I feel I have much better judgement on what I align with when I comes to government and can make educated decisions.

The Dominion Revival Party of Canada

A democracy is the fairest way to ensure that the majority of the population has a say or their opinion in how things work, but are based upon certain rules.

Currently we have a first past the post system of voting to ensure each region gets to decide on their candidate or MP to represent them and make decisions. My information is from Elections Canada. Some regions or electoral districts have a much greater population than others and the votes are therefore weighed differently in the big picture. The Dominion Revival Party of Canada is a dedicated team working towards unity and making sure everyones vote is worth the same.

To ensure voting is as fair as possible our party will be reviewing the ridings every census compared to looking at them every two. This does mean they will absolutely be changed but it will keep everything in check. Since a key focus to our party is governmental reform we will also be looking at the senate and senate groups. By changing the representation per region and switching the number of seats per region it will better represent the needs of Canadians. This will also have an equal amount of citizens being represented per senator. Proposals to review the senate have been ongoing for quite a long time according to the Canadian Encyclopedia  author, Richard Foot. To summarize, senators are appointed to represent a region but at some times end up representing political parties. This goes against the idea of the senate being for an independent voice for the region. They are following instructions from the party leaders in the Commons instead of being their own voice.

Another goal of the Dominion Revival Party is to reform equalization payments. The chart from Finances of the Nation has a clear chart showing how it is not fair. The website shows several charts on the results if different revenues were to be weighed more equal. In 2020 to 2021 the province of Quebec received $13.3 billion and many provinces received $0. How is this fair? The amount transferred to certain provinces can definitely be way too much as Quebec has some of the lowest living costs. There needs to be a balance among provinces and territories.

The Dominican Revival Party is a dedicated team working towards ensuring a better and brighter future. With a strong government, equalization, and unity.

Election Reflection

Election Reflection!!

Democracy: “Rule by the people.” This sounds great doesn’t it? We are very lucky to live in a country where we have a say in how our country is run. We vote for whom to represent us based upon their ideologies and we can choose the MP or party that best defines us. Each resident in Canada gets a vote as kong as they are over 18. I’ve been doing research and talking with close friends and family to see their ideas on the government structure, the legal voting age, and issues they hope to be changed as soon as possible.

At the moment the legal voting age is 18. What would happen if we changed this and brought it down to 16? Or even younger? After the student vote that was held at Seycove I was quite surprised to learn how many students are very interested in politics and would pursue it in the future. The younger generation is very informed and we do learn all about politics from elementary school to middle school. If the legal voting age was brought down I think the system would change for the better. It would well represent the population and bring more knowledge and ideas to the table.

I’m very interested in something called the butterfly effect. Where one small change (the flap of a butterfly wing) can cause an insane difference. What if we had a different voting system? What would Canada look like? I’ve been researching information on proportional voting and I’m very curious what our government would currently be like if we used it. Do you think it would be the same of different? www.fairvote.ca. is a great website with lots of information on the topic. With further research I discovered the great difference of who held seats I parliament vs what party actually received the most amount of votes from the 2019 election. At the end of the election the Liberal party had 33.1% of the votes while the Conservative party had 34.4%. Yet the Liberal party held 36 more seats. This does not represent us as Canadians where the government is ruled based off what ‘most’ people want. CBC made a dot diagram showing how the results would have changed for all the parties if we used proportional representation. I just believe that people need to be well represented in the government for what they believe in.

Proportional representation would ensure that everyone will get what they vote for or at least the leading party would represent the majority of the country. The percentage of seats that each party holds would be based solely on the number of votes they receive and the role of prime Minister would go to the leader of the party with the most votes. I think there would be more voters since they know their vote counts. Although all votes count as is they would count more towards the party’s platform they most believe in.

Down below I have created a mind map that lays out the information.