Weekly Reflection: Week Four

Hello all, welcome back to week four of my weekly reflections. This week wasn’t the greatest in all aspects mostly because I had strep throat from Tuesday and for the rest of the week, I slept through most of the week and didn’t really have a functioning brain until late Thursday which really sucked. I did participate in my group’s presentation of milestone 3 (the assignment was identifying continuity and change for the suffragette movement during the 1940s – 1950s) via facetime, I had a fever at the time and it’s probably the worst presentation I’ve ever done, I definitely could’ve prepared a bit more and I wouldn’t be surprised if I lost some mark for that abmissmal performance. That’s not to say I didn’t do any work for milestone three, because I did a good amount of research about feminist literature and I also compiled a list of the most important legal changes during the time period but I definitely could’ve helped a lot more with our thesis. 

With all the downtime I had this week I decided to watch two films relating to women’s cultural standards in two different time periods and places, the first was “Marriage Story” and the second was “In The Mood For Love” I had a lot of thoughts on both of these films and if your interested you can read those thoughts in my Milestone 2 document, which is my main research document for my current project in Humanities, keep in mind that this document is pretty informal and is mostly just for myself. I liked both movies a lot, the first one spoke very personally to me because it’s about divorce and that’s something I’ve been through, the second one was more of a beautiful piece of film in my opinion and I totally understand why it’s considered to be one of the best movies of the 21st century. I went a lot deeper with my reflections and interpretations of both in my milestone two, document but the biggest things I took out from the movies was how “Marriage Story” and “In The Mood For Love” show just how much and how little has changed for women over time and shows the cultural differences between Hong Kong and North America in the 60’s. This can all be tied back to my second weekly reflection, where I talked about “The Death Of The Author” the subjectivity of texts, because in my milestone 2 I did not once acknowledge the creators of either films, because it doesn’t matter to justify my interpretation, of course I would say that Wong Kar-Wai did an incredible job in using visual metaphors to add a layer of depth to his story, but I don’t think that his intentions with the movie changes my interpretation at all. They can if I want them to, but I still would argue that my takeaways are as profound as they would be if I acknowledged and looked for the creators intentions with either movies, and I think that makes my own thoughts a bit more personal and the lessons I took away from both movies will probably stick with me longer because of it. It could also be argued that I’ve stuck with this idea for a bit too long with my reflections.

I’ve also missed a lot of “Taming of The Shrew” which is probably the worst part of the entire week because it means I have to read it during my own time. 

Overall, despite missing a lot of school I still feel like I learned a lot this week which is good, I think. I feel ready for what’s to come in the upcoming week for humanities (I don’t feel ready for physics though) and most of all I’m going to make up for missed time! So as always, thanks for reading and have a great rest of your day/night.