Im Replacing Bill Nye

Hi, this is a project I’ve been working on to demonstrate my new found understanding of chemical bonding in the form of a keynote animation. This project was very long, as we started it before winter break. What you see above is my animation video.

Our first milestone was our project start mind map, for us to ask questions about the project and show any knowledge we already have on the subject, this was mine after the project:

Throughout the entirety of this project we were doing workbooks to further our understanding. Mainly how to form and identify an atom or bond.

Our first task in between that was an animation on protocols and safety for our upcoming experiment. This was a really good way to learn keynote animation and how to not burn the school down. Our goal for the experiment was to identify what element produces when zinc and hydrochloric acid are mixed. It took a lot of time to make this as I’d never done something like this before This was my experiment animation:

Then we actually did the experiment in groups of 3. I was with Sepaus and Nolan. We did the experiment multiple times to get the best results. Eventually we started to see a reaction. We reached the conclusion that gas was produced, and oxygen was formed. Here are some photos of the experiment:

We then got to choose our atoms and draw them out, for these models we based off of bohr models. Bohr models are just a way to diagram out the atomic structure of an atom created by Neil Bohr. As well as a storyboard for our animations, our animation were requirements were:

• One story for Ionic Bonding
  • One story for Covalent Bonding
  • Narration
  • Demonstrating the process of each bond scientifically, but also through as story, not as a guide

This was my storyboard, as you’ll see I made many revisions between this and the final video:

Then the last stretch was just creating the animation video. If you saw my video you’ll notice there is minimal narration. I fell short on time and wasn’t able to do as much as I’d like. I do like my video and think it was really fun to make even if its not “real animation”. I spent a lot of time in and out of class doing this work, and I hope it shows.

Its times to answer this projects driving question of “How do electron arrangements determine the physical and chemical properties of elements and compounds?”

Well, it has to do with stability, most atoms needs 8 electrons in their valence shell to be stable. If theyre unstable, thats affecting their chemical properties, so adjusting how many electrons an atom has, and which ones are in the valence shell determines the physical and chemical properties of an atom.

The physical change actually comes from an atoms protons and neutrons. If you add even 1 more proton to an atom, its physical value will change and it will become a different atom.