An Awesome Assonance Alliteration! (A Poetry Post)

Hello and welcome to this short reflective blog post. I’m very excited to announce that I’ve came to the end of a new Humanities project to work on. This project was called Working With Words and it was about poetry! (Yes I’m writing that with excitement). I really enjoyed this project because it was about a topic that I knew about, but never dove deep into. In addition to poetry, Working With Words was also a project that brought me back to worldview. The way worldview was incorporated into this project was in each of my poems! The final product, for this project, was an eBook filled with poems about my worldview. Within this poetry project I was also trying to build enough knowledge and skills to improve my use of certain curricular competencies. I also tried to master this project by having enough information to answer the driving question “How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?”.

I personally chose to focus on the curricular competency “Positive Personal and Cultural Identity” because I thought it was a great representation of understanding worldview. This is because cultural identity is basically a definition for what worldview is. From this competency I wanted to understand that I am a part of a larger communities. I tried to use this skill throughout the creation of each poem I included in my eBook. 

To start off this project we learnt a lot about each poetry term. This was really one of the most important factors of this project. To start off I created a study guide containing all of the eighteen different poetry terms that would be relevant throughout my poems. For example one of the first poetry term/poem I learnt about was a simile. A simile is a comparison between two unlike things using like, as, or than. The way me and my class learnt all of these styles of poems was by having different actives throughout the day. We would form into a group and be given a word and we would have to write a quick poem about how that word connects to different terms of worldview. From this I was able to understand these different poetry styles.

Poetry terms

Once I understood the poems I was supposed to create I was able to actually start to write them. Each of the poems I created were based around my worldview. Once I inserted all my meaning statements and poems into book creator I created my final eBook:

Over the course of this project I feel that I moved to a higher profile in the curricular competency “Positive Personal and Cultural Identity”. The way I grasped this competency was by understanding and recognizing my worldview and the worldview of others through poetry. I knew I was apart of a larger community and I showed that throughout metaphors, facts, juxtapositions and so much more. I truly enjoyed this project and I think it I correctly portrayed my thoughts about worldview throughout my eBook. Speaking of, my answer to the driving question isn’t something that’s written. It’s the actual eBook itself because the actual eBook is a constructed text that shows who I am. It shows who I am because my worldview is me and I show that throughout my poem with supporting meaning statements. Overall, this project has shown me that poetry is fun, eventful, and a great way to express my knowledge and ideas of the world me. 

Thank you for reading my short reflective blog post!

– Alicia 😁