My mPOL!

Declaration of Learning:

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

Welcome to my mPOL blog post, in which I will be reflecting on my growth as a learner through the start of this year. This post will focus on the answering of these questions:

How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?

How can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year?

During this year I’ve completed fewer projects than last. This is due to the fact that I’m only in one subject this term, Humanities. Although, I’ve also had a field study experience within a new subject PGP. At the beginning of this year I’ve created another learning plan, in comparison to last year’s. I wanted to change my curricular competency profile goals from last year to achieve my desired learning goal. 

Humanities

In humanities I’ve worked on three projects:

Gold Digger

Ology of Apology

Romeo Romeo Are We Still Talking About Romeo And Juliet?

All of these project helped myself improve on my skills to move forward with my learning plan. Two of these projects specifically tied into the improvement of a certain curricular competencies. Humanities is the subject I really want to improve on from last year and these curricular competencies used and built on is one of the beginning steps.

Curricular competencies to mention in Gold Digger:

• Critical and Reflective Thinking
  • Communicating

Revisions

• These are the revisions of my final product 
  • I felt that I was more open to revision and appreciated the feedback 
  • In future projects I want to seek more advice and critique
  • I want revisions to be the gateway to high quality work

Curricular competencies used in Ology of Apology: 

• Social Awareness and Responsibility
  • Communicating
  • Collaborating
Memorial

Teamwork

• In this project I gather with a team where I improved on my communicating and collaborating competencies
  • In comparison to other years I feel I’ve grown in my openness to new ideas
  • During this experience (and the Romeo and Juliet project) I realize I should’ve been more in-tune with the brainstorming process  

My F.A.I.L’s in this subject

Event though this is my 3rd year in this subject I think I’ve still had first attempts in learning. Honestly, without these “Fails” I would be a successful learner. 

FAIL’s How I’ll improve
I spent too much time on one task  I’ll make sure my time is evenly distributed using organization platforms, such as Things, more throughly  
I lack effort in uninteresting parts of assignments  I’ll find the part in the assignment I most enjoy and use it as motivation to work on other parts with passion 
I don’t ask questions right away  Whenever I have a pondering thought about an outline I’ll ask 3 peers than a teacher

Did my goals for my work change as I worked on it?

• In short, No – but changing my goals as I work is something I want to start doing 
  • I think this will help improve my drive to success
  • I’ll be motivated to keep achieving 

PGP

In addition to humanities I had an introduction to the subject, PGP (Personal Growth Plan). In this course I went on my first field study this year, to loon lake. This project allowed myself to realize that leadership is the actions you take to ensure you are bringing the best out in yourself and others. 

Throughout this course I…

• Grew my understanding of leadership
  • Learnt the importance of intentions and goals 
  • I developed a credo that I will continue to check to remind myself of the person I want to be 
My Credo

How did I show responsibility?

• I took the responsibility of challenging myself to be a leader
  • In some activities I wasn’t pushing myself forward to communicate and I think this was a lack of responsibility, which I want to improve on
  • From realizing this I think, in later parts of this experience, I was able to be more responsible for my actions

What skills did I use and what skills do I need to continue to develop?

• In an activity I picked Emotional Intelligence competencies for myself that I felt I had and ones wanted to improve on
  • I felt these were my most used competencies: 
  • Self Management – Adaptability
  • Relationship Management – developing others – collaborating teamwork
  • I felt these are the ones I want to improve on my:
  • Self Awareness – Emotional self-awareness
  • Self Management- optimism – transparency 
  • Social Awareness – Empathy 

“How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?”

• I’ve shown development in my mindset – openness to new experiences 
  • I’ve grown my understand of many curricular competencies 
  • I shown growth as a leaner by being intentional with my decisions

Core competencies 

Thinking

• In thinking, I feel like I need to improve on both curricular competencies to achieve my shifted profile from last year 
  • In my learning I want to improve on my use of creative thinking
  • Critical and reflecting thinking is one of my strengths, but I still want to improve on developing interpretations to reach a Profile 5

Personal and Social 

• Similar to last year I want to improve this core competency 
  • Just like I previously stated…I was able to improve on this core competency in Ology of Apology 
  • I noticed that I have to push myself outside of my comfort zone to build on this competency, so that it something that I need to fully understand in each project I’m completing 

Communication 

• This is one of my best core competencies, but from the Ology of Apology project I realized I still want to improve on my presentations 
  • My biggest strength in this competency is my ability to have an in-dept conversation with an audience 
  • In this core competency I would like to improve on my collaboration by making sure everyone’s ideas are shared and recognized

Learning plan 

To show the process of developing these core competency I’ve creating a learning plan. 

(Click to view full Learning Plan)

My Statement of Learning Intent focuses on myself trying to:

• Reach an extending proficiency by setting an outrageous percentage goal 
  • Becoming an influential learner
  • Understanding my curricular competencies to make a change in the community 

Disposition, Habits, Systems 

• I have made progress in my disposition by adapting to new challenges and trying to become an influential learner 
  • I’ve made some progress with my habits by taking notes on important topics in projects, yet I still want to improve by asking questions 
  • I have been on track with my systems and will continue to check learning platforms and use planning applications effectively 

“How can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year?”

I can develop a system, in which I will change certain aspects (profiles) of my learning plan when I feel the need to set further goals. This will motivate myself to push past the boundaries I set, showing a completion of the main goal/statement of learning in my learning plan. 

Thank you for reading, or listening to, my mPOL!

Alicia 😀