Don’t Write About Sun Tanning

If you read my drafts you’ll get the sun tanning reference.

Hello! This blog post will be about a project I just completed in Humanities called “Save Juno Beach”. In this project we learn about the contents of WWII, which I’ve always been interested in learning in so I was excited for this project. The end goal of this project was to create a written response to answer the driving question “Why is it so important to preserve the Juno Beach Centre?”. Through keystones and revisions I was able to create this final product and build enough knowledge to answer the driving question.

This project started with taking notes on lectures about different pieces of WWII. I really think this allowed me to analyze and reflect on the material given, improving my understand of the curricular competencies. As per usual I think this was a really important part of the project because it was the foundation of the rest of the project, including the next activity I completed “Battle of Atlantic Summary”. 

Screenshot of Home Page To Notes

After taking notes we were tasked with creating a summary of what happened in the Battle of Atlantic using the PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation) formula. Since my notes were already written this activity was basically measuring my ability to implement my understanding of a topic into a short summary that displays my knowledge effectively. I think I was really able to improve on my communication skills and writing techniques through this activity. 

Battle of Atlantic PEE summary

After doing this I was finally able to move onto my first keystone “Historical Significance”. In this keystone I basically didn’t three PEE summaries to answer the question “Why was World War II significant for Canada?”. I chose the topics I felt best suited to answer this question were “The Battle of Atlantic, Cooperation and Collaboration, and Women in War”. By completing this keystone with sophistication I was able to assess the significance of something, using my analyzing curricular competency for Social Studies. 

Three PEE

I then moved onto my next keystone “Rhetorical Analysis”. This keystone was focused on building my writing techniques, that would eventually be used in my final product. In this keystone I read a text and analyzed it using a rhetorical analysis then I wrote a summary to show my analysis. In addition to this I filled in a brainstorming sheet to think of ideas of what pieces of rhetorical I would include in my multi-paragraph writing. I did revise this, which I think improved my amount of detailed included. 

Brainstorm

I was finally able to move onto my multi-paragraph writing process. This keystone was centred around my ability to revise my writing. I started with a writing based on some aspects of my brainstorm. I created a draft and sent it to a lot of people, seriously a lot (probably a problem, but whatever). I changed my feedback, basically just took out the first paragraph, if you know, you know. I then got more and more feedback and eventually had a draft that was from a bunch of feedback from others. I think my ability to use this process effectively really showed my use of critical reflective thinking and my awareness and responsibility for my learning. 

With a whole lot of drafts completed I was able to read over and fix some little things and created my final draft. With my final draft finished I put it into a craft document, so it could be published to a site for the preservation of Juno Beach. Here’s my final creation…

Now, my answer to the driving question is shown throughout my multi-paragraph composition. The thesis directly answers the question. On that note my answer to the question “Why is it so important to preserve the Juno Beach Centre?” is…The preservation of the Juno Beach Centre is important because it serves as a monument to honour the sacrifices made by Canadian soldiers during World War Il. It educates current and future generations about the importance of defending values such as democracy and human rights, which ultimately promotes international cooperation and peace.

In this project I was able to build my skills and learn about new writing techniques. I’m honestly super proud of my final product. I also am thankful to those who offered me feedback throughout my writing process, because that feedback really helped me improve. 

As always, thanks for reading. Also, is there something in this world you would fight to persevere, if so what?

Alicia 😀 

———————

Special thanks to those who helped me revise:

Dana 

Ava

Claire 

Theryn 

Faith