History Happens on the Subatomic Level

Y’all. We are so close.

Like I’ve mentioned in my last blog post (at least I think it did), our last little bit of learning before we take-off into the world is structured a little differently. We have topics that we’re looking at, and ideas that stem from them. That was a really bad explanation, but we’re going with it.

This post is about an idea that I had a little while ago, and my brain continues to make connections as we continue learning. I have a few examples, somewhat odd, but its what I’ve got.

History Happens on the Subatomic Level

This might not make a lot of sense, but I’ll break it down for you. The thing about historically significant events is that a lot of people don’t know how significant they are until after the fact. People are just living their lives, and they happen to be where all these crazy events happen.

First example, the umbrella man. If you are at all versed in conspiracy, which I’ll come back to later, the umbrella man is a prime example of this. Basically, when JFK was shot in Dallas, Tx, there was a man on the grassy knoll who was holding an umbrella. This was seen as odd, because it was actually a nice day outside. People latched onto this oddity, and created a myth around this man, and his involvement in the assassination. In reality, he was just a man who was there protesting something that JFK’s father had done. He was one tiny part of what happened that day, and he couldn’t have known what would spring from his innocent action.

The other example is a wee bit less innocent, but important nonetheless. More important, one might say. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the following ‘quarantine’, submarines were deployed as a precaution by the cubans, supplied of course by the USSR. These submarines had nuclear warheads, and were ready to strike should the US make a move. One October day, a US Navy ship tried to contact one of these subs to get it to come up by dropping a short ranged grenade on them, as they were too deep to contact any other way. Thinking that this meant that they were at war, the crew aboard the submarine readied to fire their nukes. One captain refused to fire the nukes. This meant that they were not unanimous, and could not fire. This one decision may have stopped WW3.

No one really knows what will come from their actions. They might have ideas, but every decision comes with a consequence, and even small ones can have a large impact on the future. Some of these small decisions lead to conspiracy theories, like that kermit the frog was involved in 9/11. Others stop all out war. It’s a fun time being alive.