Comment commandments

Salutations, mis amigos.

It is that time of year. Christmas is in the air, the Student Blogging Challenge is in full swing, and spirits are high.

Our challenge this week was to highlight the importance of ethical and authentic commenting. I practiced this subject back in grade 8, and last week I got the chance to visit a few different blogs who were also participating in the Student Blogging Challenge.

Leaving a comment that is kind, respectful and specific can enhance the information that you are publishing. For instance, the difference between these two images are stark.

Image one

Image two

While one image is well composed, thoughtfully formatted, and grammatically correct, the other is… not.

The importance of leaving a “good comment” extends beyond saying something nice. This comment is offering information to the creator, and may influence them personally, or the post itself. This is why we need to be very careful.

To highlight this point, I created a poster entitled digital citizenship. Digital citizenship is something that we have talked about in PLP since the beginning of time. It implies your presence and effect on the internet. Which included others than yourself.

If this subject is something that interests you, I would highly recommend this video. Not only does it show visuals and examples of digital citizenship, but it complains throughly about modern society. My kind of video.

The second aspect of this challenge that I took part in was creating a video about what a good comment is. I decided to extent my boundaries of Keynote and Explain Everything, and trouble shoot with a website called Powtoon. Overall? This took much longer than it should have. Although, I am proud of the final outcome, considering that I used personalized code to create the effect of a hand tracing the letters.

This video does contain a glitch, it becomes especially prominent at the end of the video.  Conclusion, if you are looking for a website which will give you the creative freedom to code your own videos, as well as offer an array of templates, this is the website for you. Let’s all cross our fingers that you are also patient enough to deal with the glitches.

The final activity that I took part in this week was becoming a self-taught HTML whiz. I went in with high hopes, I came out of 3 Kahoot! quizzes, many different tutorial blog posts and a 98% quiz average. After learning how to insert italics, headers and images, I decided to create a tutorial about how to insert these codes using Explain Everything.

This week of the SBC was enjoyable, and I can’t wait for next week! Mentally prepare yourselves, people

”Good morning, and in case I don’t see ya, good afternoon, good evening and goodnight” – The Truman Show

4 thoughts on “Comment commandments

1. Great job, Ally! I think that this will help anybody and everybody who comes across it. There are a lot (As in “Not few”) posts about commenting, and there are those like this one that really go in depth. Good job.

2. Ally ,

I am a teacher in NJ . I was wondering if you would be ok with me sharing your work with some middle school students ? I think your Powtoon video is a really great tool for getting students to think about some guidelines when responding to posts ! Really great job 🙂

Sincerely,
    Ms. Foley

• Hi Ms Foley

Yeah of course that would be ok! I would love to share my work.
      Thank you!

Sincerely,
      Ally