When Galaxies Collide

https://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/holidays/halloween/halloween-puns

Salutations.

It is week four of the student blogging challenge, and I am still alive. In fact, this weeks challenge has rejuvenated me and put a fire in my eyes.

This week we did not have a specific challenge to complete, we simply needed to catch up on the work that was not completed, and perhaps revise it. I thought I would take this chance to have some fun with my blog. Namely, teach you more about me, and comment on 100 different blogs. But that is a story for another time. For the moment, let me explain to you a concept that I find mind boggling.

Something that you may not know about me is that I have a passion for maths and science. Specifically, I enjoy physics, and philosophy of the universe. When I am older, I aspire to be a theoretical physics. Doing mathematics day and night, while contemplating the creation of the universe is my calling.

The other day, I was scrolling through Apple news and I noticed an article on the collision of the Andromeda galaxy. NASA describes this as “when galaxies collide”. In four billion years, scientists estimate that the Andromeda galaxy, one of our neighbouring galaxies with a black hole at it’s core is going to approach the path of the Milky Way, and the two galaxies will collide. Although, because of the distance between our planets, we will never actually make contact with another planet. We will simply pass through each other. Relying on the fact that an intelligent race still exists within this amount of time, they may never even know. This makes me wonder whether this has happened in the past, but we have not had the tools to decipher it.

https://www.space.com/20881-wormholes.html

Another article in this section mentions the wormhole theory. The wormhole theory was first theorized by Ludwig Flamm. Flamm had read and analyzed Einstein’s proposal of a black hole, and rewrote the equation so that the black hole had a mirror opposite. This is called a white hole. For those of you who would like a quick recap, a black hole is what would have once been a planet with very weak thermal forces. These forces would have been so weak that gravity collapsed the planet, like my dog collapses plastic balls. The planet crushes in on itself, and stretches the fabrication of time space. Gravity has nothing to fight against it that will stop the collapse, so it continues going until it creates an infinitely small singularity. Flamm theorized that if a black hole stretches into space time, something must stretch out. This is called a white hole. Whereas a black hole captures and traps light, a white hole expels all light.

If we combine these two “holes” together, we create a worm hole, a warp in space time. I am sure that we have all seen a low budget Hollywood film where the heroes use their ‘SuperWarp2000’ to open a wormhole and transport themselves to a location thousands of light years away in a matter of seconds. Theoretically speaking, if wormholes existed, we could cut down on a journey to another galaxy by a very formidable amount of time.

In order for this to be possible, we would need to create a vessel that can travel faster than the speed of light. Because of the relationship between your mass and your speed, the faster you go the more your mass increases. In order for you to attain the speed of light, you must not have a mass.

All of this is theoretical, and relies on very specific calculations. We can’t just decide that we are going to build a rocket ship that travels at the speed of light one day (ehem, Elon Musk).

If you still want to learn more about wormholes, this video explains the process very well.

I really wish that I could explain this subject more in depth, unfortunately one blog post is not enough to document centuries, and careers worth of work. I will definitely continue posting on this subject. For the moment, I would like to turn your attention to this.

My experience with commenting on 100 different blog posts

This naive task started exactly five days ago. I had an epiphany. I haven’t gotten the chance to involve myself in this Student Blogging challenge as much as I would have liked to, so I set myself to the task of commenting on 100 different blogs.

This was an image that I created of a few of my favourite comments that I left.

I used the challenge document as referral, and five days later, I had read and commented on 100 different blogs. I am very glad that I did this, as I got the chance to get to know this community more. Everyone from children to adults, from artists to meme creators, I saw one hundred different takes on the same challenge. I was very impressed, in fact I gathered a lot of inspiration from Shyanne, Yusrah and Felicia. I was impressed with every blog that I saw.

That is a wrap for week four, and I am starting to seriously consider blogging as a career. Until next time!

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/458311699556060464/?lp=true

“Good afternoon, and in case I don’t see ya, good afternoon, good evening and goodnight” – The Truman Show

8 thoughts on “When Galaxies Collide

1. Hi Ally,

What an outstanding post! You’re such a talented writer.

I can’t believe you visited 100 blogs too. That is outstanding and you should be so proud of yourself.

I wonder if any bloggers will visit you in return?

I can’t wait to share this post in the week 5 Student Blogging Challenge post.

Well done!
    Kathleen Morris

• Hi Kathleen,

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me.

I really hope they do. Although that would be a lot of comments.

Thanks again,
      Ally

2. Hi Ally,

I really love your blog!

I like all the pictures and videos that you have put in your blog!

Do you have any tips for blogging?

Best blogging wishes,
    Julia

• Hi Julia

I am glad that you like my blog. And thank you for the comment.

If I were to offer advice about blogging, it would be to 1. Always put as much effort as possible into a post 2. Think outside of the box. What can you do that is fun and innovative, and you haven’t done before one your blog. Finally, 3. Is just to enjoy yourself. This may seem very generic, but when you are enjoying yourself and becoming immersed in the blogging community, it becomes evident in your work.

Thank you again, Ally.

3. Hi Ally!

Your wit, wisdom, and insights are truly a breath of fresh air! I was informed about your blog via a tweet by a previous commenter, Kathleen Morris.

I looked for an option to subscribe to your blog so that I would get notification of your latest post, but did not see that option! Please considered adding a subscription widget, as I am certain I am not the only one that would like to follow you! Here is a “how to” tutorial to do so, if you are interested:
    https://help.edublogs.org/subscribe-by-email-widget/

Happy blogging!
    Janet:-)

• Hi Janet,

I am glad that you find this nonsense entertaining.

Thank you for including the link, I did not know that you could add a subscribe button. You learn something new every day. The tutorial was very helpful, and I now have a subscribe button to my blog!

Thank you, Ally

4. I find it interesting that you believe this so easily. Personally when I find new information I like to research a topic as you did; but I instead go through all the different factors of it and cancel out witch ones are precisely accurate or not. Then I would go through the process of making it my own work after studying the idea for gaps in the logic of the idea, then filling in these gaps.

• Hi Collin

Thank you for your comment. I always appreciate it when someone points out the flaws in my work habits.

Despite this, you are correct. It would be more ethical if I took the time to read from several sources, and fill in logic gabs. Heck, it would also be more ethical if I went out and spent millions of dollars on a telescope and my own astrological research facility. Talk about making it my own.

As for my belief in this, I did not base this information off one Wikipedia article. I have been reading books, magazines, articles and watching movies on the subjects for a good number of years by now. My input on the validity of wormholes means almost nothing, as I would be going up against careers worth of evidence. This is a very broad subject, and I am careful when it comes to inserting my own facts.

Nevertheless, I am sure that Einstein, Hawking, Da Vinci and Newton would appreciate that you are filling the gaps in their logic.

Yours, Ally