Improvement In Writing

image

September seems so long ago… I remember the very first day of school when Ms. Willemse told us we are going to be writing and essay… No “welcome back” or “good to see you again”, just a “lets get moving!”.

My writing skills have improved so much since that very first essay to now, and are still getting better everyday…hopefully.

Today I am going to be comparing two pieces of my writing. My expository essay which was written in October and my synthesis which was written just shortly after in November. Even though these two pieces were written fairy close to each other, you can still see how much I have improved.

For the expository essay we had to choose a topic from a list of topics and write an essay on it… There was probably a lot more of an explanation on what to do, but it was a long time ago…I can’t remember. I remember thinking that this was a pretty damn good piece of writing when I handed it in. This is what it looked like when I first handed it in…

image

And this is what it looked like when I got it back…

imageimage

My synthesis on the other hand, we had to compare two books we read. I think I prefer the synthesis over the expository because it is much more straight forward and clear on what you need to do and include in it. Sometimes if someone just says write about this topic, and you are not very familiar with it or just don’t like it, it is really really hard to get started and make your writing interesting. But when you are writing a synthesis, you have read both passages and you are more putting your thoughts on it, and comparing the two.

This is what my synthesis looked like when I first handed it in…

imageimage

Vs. When I got it back…

imageimage

In writing there will always be something you could have improved on, weather it’s the actual story, spelling or grammar, or even just using the right words. Writing is defiantly not one of my stronger subjects, but I hope that I will continue to improve in the future.