The Beliebers

When Ms Maxwell told us that we would be doing a Debate for our end of the year exhibition I was not happy. I did not want to do it at all, first of all because I did not like talking in front of people, second of all we were not going to know the topic of what we were debating until 1 minute before we had to debate it.

Okay, let’s rewind a bit to the beginning of all this, this is going to be a brief explanation because I will explain everything in more detail in my final concept blog post. Basically over the past few weeks we been reading the book “Lord Of The Flies”, learning about government and have been working with 7 concepts.

-Power and Authority
-Humanity and Inhumanity
-Violence and Destruction
-Human nature
-Civilization and Savagery
-Innocence and Evil
-Individualism and Community

For each of these concepts we had a huge piece of paper in our class room that, each class, we were adding sticky notes to. There was 4 columns on each sheet, Lord Of The Flies, Other Texts, History and Current Events, and Other. All we knew about the debate is that the statements for the debate would be formed around what was on each sheet including all the stuff we have been learning.

We were going to be in team of 3 or 4 and a few of the people in the class believed they were very stacked teams. I think it was maybe because our teachers wanted the final round to be very intense, which it was.

The Teams Were…

Brianna
Jackson
Cashel

Gabi
Matthew S
Jayden

Maria
Chris
Michael S

Chloe
Michael F
Luciano

Anatolia
Tom
Spencer

Alanah
Teva
Matthew D
Nolan

Zak
Marley
Nash

Stanfield
Kirby
Mike

I believe our team was one of the weaker teams just because neither Tom or I really like talking in front of an audience. In the end I was proud of our team even though we lost both times, I talked and did not think I was going to talk at all, Tom actually probably talked to most out of everyone in our group also and had some really good points and Spencer did a really good job in talking loud and and confidently and had some really strong points.

In the end this wasn’t as bad as I was expecting and now that I know how it works I think I would have tried to prepare more in taking a lot more notes in class and just overall being more prepared. I think also spending less time worry about talking and what was going to happen. I think that I actually would do this again, but still liked the last exhibition better.

One more thing, I just wanted to give Ms Maxwell a bit of a shoutout for being such a good teacher and being so patient with all my nervous complaints the day of the debate. Thank you!!