Pastimes have always been a thing, but throughout the last century, they have altered drastically. In the ’50s, hula hooping, frisbee and rollerblading were some of the most exciting things to do with friends. In class, we learnt about four games people played with their friends; “Hop Scotch,” “Button, Button, Who’s Got the Button,” “Mother, May I,” and “Kick the Can.” Kids could play these games for hours and not get bored. Kids had independence, and parents allowed their kids to play with friends without any supervision. Doing that today, you would be thought of as irresponsible.

Kick the Can has surprisingly continued to be relevant in the games youth play. “Mother, May I” is an excellent example of how a game can be adapted into new games. With the same foundation as “What Time is it, Mr. Wolf?” it created building blocks for many of the fun childhood games I used to play. Hop Scotch originated as a military drill to train soldiers and was over 100 feet long. Children on the streets adapted these drills into a fun, easy game to play with each other.

Games were created by the people who played them; kids. Instead, now games are created by adults trying to tailor towards youth. The narrative has changed with the addition of TV and technology. Technology has ultimately changed the way kids entertain themselves. In no way has traditional play vanished. Kids play these games at school and in their free time, but there is more focus on technology/the internet. Young kids are receiving phones and games systems are at very young ages and never get to experience these outdoor pastimes truly.

Has it gotten better or worse? Many children have their childhood ruined by this lean-to rely on technology for their entertainment. Even when I was in elementary playing these games, there was less of a reliance on technology. I think lots of youth’s childhood has been skewed, and a lot of time is spent doing useless things on their phone.