Hi people, this is probably going to be my last blog post for a while.  I’m going to try to post a blog over the summer about a trip I’m going on (coming soon).  Anyways todays blog post is going to be about the spring exhibition and blue sky.  Blue sky is basically a project where you can make anything that is centred on a problem you’re trying to solve but other than that it is up to you.  I had a great time doing blue sky and I recommend it for anyone at any age.  I had a lot of fun designing and creating my creation.  Here’s what I created!

For my blue sky project, I created an app called “West Cedar”. This app was made on an application called Xcode and using Swift for the code.   My app uses crowd sourcing and geolocation.  The reason I’ve made the app is because there are a lot of redwood cedar trees dying in my area and I want to help them.  It’s important to  help these trees because cedar trees are a sentinel species, meaning that they are more sensitive than other species of trees.  If they start dying, more species of trees could start dying off.  Possible theories of why these trees are dying is drought and global warming.  These are just theories though and there could be a completely different reason.

To use my app, you have to go to the tab to document your first tree.  After you take the picture of the tree/add all the information asked for, you click the add annotation button.  This button adds your annotation to a map that I coded.  The annotation is there for everyone to see.  With the custom made annotation is the photo of the tree and all the documented information.  This location of the annotation on the map is placed by where your standing.  I learned so much about making apps and coding apps through swift.  Now that I finished the app, it was time to display it at the exhibition.

So we first had to set up for the exhibition.  We were all slip up into groups and each group was located at a different part of the school (are group was awareness and we were in the library).  We decided that we would use different colours of paper and newspapers to decorate our area.  I was in charge of bringing newspapers and candy for our scavenger hunt.  It took us around two hours to set up but we did it.  I ended up talking to many different people, one person being someone who is a programmer.  They were very fun to talk to and asked very good questions.  Over all everyone I talked to was thoroughly impressed by what I made.  Below is an ok photo that I found scrolling through my camera roll of our setup.

Blue sky was probably one of my favourite projects that we did over the year.  It was a project where we chose what we wanted to do and what we wanted to learn more about.  For me, that was app designing and coding.  I already knew some swift but I learned so much more.  I learned about this great app called Xcode which I used to make my app.  I learned that once you get the hang of app making and coding, its simpler than you think it is.  Coding for me is really fun, cause its almost like a puzzle where you have to problem solve.  I am planning to continue coding and I have I few more coding projects I’m working on that I may write a blog post about in the future.  Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this blog post and the next post may come sooner then you think.  👋👏👏