Correlation and causation are both very different.  Correlation is finding the relationships between two different variables.  Causation is finding if one variable causes another variable.  Causation is always harder to prove than correlation.

For this project, we had to create a survey, find correlation and causation, and explain it in a project format.  I worked together with my partner Matthew to survey our class to collect our data.  We both found a correlation with causation or false causation.  Here’s what my correlation and causation was.

I was trying to find correlation and causation between the amount of sleep you get daily to your last test results. To do this, I conducted a voluntary sample survey (a survey inviting the population or group to participate) for my class. With the results I got from the survey, I created a graph to find correlation or causation. I was surprised by the result of my data. From looking at the chart, you could see that there is a correlation. As the amount of sleep gets higher, the results of the tests also get higher. This correlation is called a positive correlation. When looking for causation I couldn’t find any just from looking at the graph. I found that I needed to conduct more surveys to determine causation.  I also found that there could be more factors that cause people to get better test results.  One example could be if someone has strict parents that want you to study more or get to bed earlier.  Below is a chart made up of the data I collected.

The first milestone we did for this project was to create a mind map. A mind map is a chart with one central idea, and many more ideas linked to that Idea. On this mind map, we had topics such as correlation causation, survey, data, and more. For each topic, we had a sub-topic with questions. The first image below is the questions I had on my mind map. The second image is a mind map with the answer to those questions.

Before

After

With this project were curricular competencies.  There were three curricular competencies, applying and innovation, communicating and representing, and representing mathematical ideas.  I think that I showed all of these through my project.

I showed applying and innovative by working well and communicate well with my group members. Even though I was away, I still was able to keep in contact with my group members. We need to work on getting distracted less and using our time efficiently.

I was communicating and represent when I was talking about the data from my graph.  I used words such as x and y-axis, voluntary sample survey, and biased survey.  Some of these words helped me explain my correlation and causation better.

I represented mathematical ideas in my project when I created the graphs.  One of the graphs I created in number that displayed the data I collected for my correlation.  The other two graphs were made using survey monkey and displayed the results of my survey answers.

From completing this project I have learned so much more about correlation and causation.  Like I said at the start of this post, it is easier to find correlation than it is to find causation.  I found that to be one of the most valuable things that I’ve learned from doing this project.  There are many times from the beginning where I confused correlation and causation.  The little details like this can helped me to determine the difference between correlation and causation whenever I come across it again.