Ah yes, emojis. For Day 7 of the Student Blogging Challenge 2021, we were tasked to write a story based off of emojis. The emojis we had to write a story based off of were randomly chosen using a site called byrdseed.com. I personally find emojis creepy, but I ended up enjoying this challenge far more than I had originally anticipated.

For my story, I have chosen to use the Story Spine. This is a method used for storytelling, that we have also been inspired by Pixar, to use in class. My teacher, Ms. Maxwell, has also used this method for her Emoji Story.

Here are the emojis I’ll be using for my story: 😲🚉🐸🙈🍙🚑 🚎

Nolan’s Journey to Frog Land

Once upon a time… 😲

There was a boy named Nolan. He was passionate about many things however, his heart belonged to the species known as frogs, and enjoyed everything and anything to do with these amphibians. Nolan was very surprised to hear that a wonder such as the amusement park, Frog Land, had existed.

Every day… 🚉

Nolan would restlessly count his savings until he had enough to travel to Frog Land and back. He had wanted to take a bus to Frog Land, but there were only train stations in his area. Dismayed, Nolan was close to giving up his dreams of ever seeing Frog Land.

One day… 🐸

Through countless hours of research, Nolan realized a bus on its way to Frog Land was soon to travel through his city. After contacting the bus driver, Mr. Toad, he received approval to board on the bus for a fee.

Because of that… 🙈

Nolan rushed to Frog Rd., the area in which he was to board the bus to Frog Land. However, he froze in his steps as he noticed a very peculiar sight. It was… a monkey with its hands over its eyes? As he looked closer, he realized it was a poster board in front of a Japanese restaurant. He then realized that the employees were giving out free food samples at the front of the store.

Because of that… 🍙

He raced to the storefront and sampled some onigiri. After all, a snack for the road couldn’t hurt, right? Suddenly, almost as if the frog deities had a sense of irony, Nolan started breaking out in hives. He was seemingly allergic to something inside of the onigiri.

Because of that… 🚑

The young boy called an ambulance and he was rushed to the hospital. Luckily, the paramedics got to him in time. Unfortunately, all the money Nolan spent on his ticket to Frog Land was wasted.

Until finally… 🚎

The bus he was supposed to board on his way to Frog Land seemed to be outside of his hospital window. Mr. Toad had waited for him! Nolan was absolutely happy, and nothing could dampen his mood. He was finally on his way to Frog Land.

La Fin!

I must say, that is the most random story I have ever written. I still feel that this writing challenge was overall enjoyable, and I would recommend for others to give it a go. I found that it was somewhat difficult to connect the emojis since they were literally randomized, but in the end, my ideas sort of “clicked” together. Also, I named my story’s protagonist after my classmate, Nolan, (with permission, of course) so be sure to check out his blog!

Thanks for reading!

Related post: Fun with Photos… or should I say Teachers?