Copyright and Creative Commons

Hi guys it’s Ben and today this blog is all about copyright and Creative Commons.

Copyright is something that automatically happens to anything that a person makes or  designs. If another person tries to use that photo then they need permission from the creator. If they do not and end up making money off of it then they could get sued by the creator. The copyright symbol, ©️, shows that a photo has been copyrighted and needs permission to use. Fair use is a doctrine of the law in the U.S that states that “the use of a copyrighted work is allowed for educational and research purposes.” The copyright law states that “reproduction of a copyrighted work for purposes such as criticism, news, reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research is not an infringement of copyright”. 

Creative Commons is a little different. If a creator is fine with people using their work and doesn’t want to be constantly asked for permission, they can apply a Creative Commons license. A Creative Commons license has different guidelines to follow to make sure you are using the work legally.  A Creative Commons license is made up of license elements and each has its symbol and rule. 

CopyrightFreePictures / Pixabay

The first element is attribution. The symbol is the person in a black circle. It means that you can use the work as long as you acknowledge the creator as the creator of the work.  

CopyrightFreePictures / Pixabay

The second element is non-commercial. It means that only the creator can make money off of it. You are allowed to distribute the work but can not make any profit off  of it.

CopyrightFreePictures / Pixabay

The third element is non-derivatives. This element states that you are not  allowed to edit or change the work. You can use the work but cannot warp or edit the work without permission. 

CopyrightFreePictures / Pixabay

The final element is share-alike. Share-alike means that if you use the work then it must have the same Creative Commons elements. It must have the same guidelines you need to follow to use it. 

progressor / Pixabay

These are the six combos of the Creative Commons elements. Each one means something else. For example, the bottom right one means that to use the work, you must acknowledge the creator, you are not allowed to make money off the work, and you can’t edit or change the work in any form without permission. 

Thank you for reaching the bottom of this post! Please comment on this post (make sure to follow the guidelines!), tell me if you know something else about Creative Commons and have a great day!

7 thoughts on “Copyright and Creative Commons

1. Marg says:

Hi Ben,
    Wow! You really had to work hard on this! I am a retired teacher who lived blogging with my grade three and four students. I thought I knew all about creatve commons, but you taught me so much. Thanks for your informative post! Great job.
    Marg
    #STUBCcommenter

2. Marg says:

Hi again
    Boy, I never seem to learn to slow down and re-read my posts for spelling mistakes! Can you tell my favorite part of blogging was making connections with people! I get so excited to continue conversations that I forget how important it is to EDIT!
    Thanks again for the excellent post and for continuing the conversation.
    Marg ( who has trouble spell checking )
    #STUBC

1. benjamindinh says:

Hi Marg,

It’s all right about the spelling mistakes. I’m always excited when I get a comment! Be sure to check out my other post as well!

Benjamin

3. Marg says:

Hi Ben,

Wow! This is amazing! I was commenting on some other posts and saw the Canadian flag in the list, so decided to check out your blog. I was interested in the subjects you like reading so I started looking for somewhere to comment. Hmm, couldn’t find a comment section for either of your posts, so checked back in your blog. There were two comments from the last student blogging challenge – from me!

Anyway, Hi Ben, glad to see you are still blogging.

I love reading about WWII and the Viet Nam war also. Very interesting stuff. My dad was in WWII so of course I like to read about it. Also, I remember the VietNam war and met people who were over there. Right now I am reading murder mysteries.

Marg
    Student blogging challenge commenter
    1marg.edublogs.org

1. benjamindinh says:

Hi Marg,

Thank you for checking out my blog! I’m happy to know that the little Canadian flag I add to my name attracts some people. I really like learning about history and wars from the 20th century too. I am particularly interested in the Vietnam war as I have Vietnamese heritage and it is interesting to learn why I live in Canada and why my ancestors moved here.

Benjamin

1. Marg says:

Hi Ben,
        ( Do you like being called Ben or Benjamin?)
        Interesting! You have Vietnamese heritage. Where in VietNam did your family live? How were they able to get to Canada?

One of my nephews also has Vietnamese heritage. A couple of years ago he was able to visit VietNam with his parents. His dad was able to see where he had lived and even went to the refugee camps he had spent time at. That would have been an emotional journey. They were able to move to Alberta because they were sponsored by a Church. They have worked hard and raised a family here.

Thanks for sharing about part of your heritage.

Marg
        STUBC commenter
        1marg.edublogs.org

1. benjamindinh says:

Hi Marg,

I do prefer a Benjamin but Ben is just as fine. Yes I am half Vietnamese. My mother tracked here when she was five with her family after the Vietnam War. She managed to bait to a refugee camp to Malaysia and fly to Canada. They lived in what was once Saigon, but is now Ho Chi Minh City. From stories I have heard and research I have done on the topic it was a very hard journey with a lot of danger and I am amazed at how so many managed to survive the journey from Vietnam.

Benjamin