Metaphor Machines

The definition of metaphor is “a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.” Our project is called metaphor machines. The definition of machine is “an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task. Combine those two definitions and you have, a metaphor machine!”A figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to several parts a, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task.” Our task for this project, metaphor machines, was to create a Rube-Goldberg machine that could represent or explain the scientific method. 

We were assessing three competencies for this project, questioning and predicting, reasoning and analyzing, and planning and conducting. I will now be assessing myself on these three competencies.

Questioning and Predicting: I think in this project I was adequate at this competency. This competency is all about demonstrating an intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic. I was interested in how batteries work and the different ways we could represent different sections of the scientific method. I do think my interest and participation in the project did falter towards the end of the project, and I think that comes from the repetition towards the end of the project. It was just glueing the same wood to the board over and over again as they kept falling off. 

Reasoning and Analyzing: This competency has appeared in many of the projects this year, so i have assessed myself on this competency many times. However I am still going to do it for this project too. A little recap of what this competency is, using logic and patterns to solve puzzles. Personally, I think this is the biggest competency of this project, as thee entire project was trying to figure out how to solve a puzzle, as in the puzzle of building a machines hat could show the scientific method. I think I was very active in the idea generation portion of this project, and I believe that I excelled in this competency.

Planning and Conducting: Planning and conducting is the final competency assessed in this project. It is all about being able to develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through inquiry and problem solving. The way we were supposed to show this in this project was through the different ways we built our Rube-Goldberg machine. I think I did well for this competency because, as I said before, I was very active in the idea generation portion of the project.

In conclusion, I think it wasn’t the most productive project I’ve ever had, but it wasn’t the worst project I’ve had in this subject. I was off-task a little too much this project and it may have affected my groups final result. But I’ll let you decide that, so my groups video is right below.

My group: Angelo and Grace