Confederation Commercial

Hello, and welcome back to my blog. Today, I will be talking about my latest humanities project, called “confederation commercial”. As the name would suggest, this was a project about the history that led up to confederation in Canada. The way we were going to represent our learnings for this project, was that we were going to make a two minute commercial, about one of the colonies demands for joining confederation. The colony that I was a member of, was Prince Edward Island, which didn’t actually join confederation until a few years after it happened, and who mainly joined to pay of railroad debt. In my group, was Matthew, Angelo, Felix, and myself.

For the first milestone of the project, we had to read through a document about all the reasons why Canada became a country, and we had to write a paragraph about all of them. I thought that this was a very good start to the project, as it taught as the basics of why we had confederation, which would help us later on in the project, as we would know what would be a possible demand of our colony, and what wasn’t plausible.

The second milestone of the project, was to collect information about the real historical reasons our colonies would or wouldn’t join confederation. We did this by creating a chart on a pages document, using info we found on google, or the sources we were given. This taught us similar things to milestone one, but more specific to our colony, so we had more ideas of what to actually put in our commercial.

Our third milestone for the project, was supposed to be a model Charlottetown conference. For this, we had to come up with our preliminary proposals to join confederation. These had to be historically plausible for the time period. Here is our keynote, for our proposals.

The fourth milestone, was just to write a screenplay, that says exactly what you would see and hear during our video. This was pretty easy to get done, as we just transferred most of our preliminary proposals, and edited them slightly.

The fifth and final milestone, other than this post, was our final video. For this, we were supposed to put our screenplay into action, and film everything. To help with our video making, we used a green screen, so we were able to add whatever backgrounds we wanted to each section of the video. Here are our proposals and justifications for them, which are included in our video.

1. Our first demand, for joining confederation, was to have the capital in Fort Albany. We thought this was the best choice, because it was far north, so the Americans would have a harder time invading it. Another reason, was that it was in Rupert’s land, which would justify the new nation annexing it.

2. Our second demand, was to get funding for a bigger port. Our reasoning for this, is that we could bring in more imports and exports, and that would help the economy. It would also create more jobs.

3. Our third demand, was to be in charge of creating a national anthem for the new nation. Our reasoning for this, was that it would boost morale and patriotism within the nation.

4. Our fourth demand, was to have good parliamentary representation, so we could have control over our own provincial autonomy.

5. Our fifth demand was to have gun control prohibited. Our reason for this was because Canada most likely wouldn’t have a very large army to send to our island, so the militia would be our best defence against Americans.

6. Our sixth and final demand, was to have a laissez-faire economy. Our reasoning for this was that it would improve the economy, create jobs, respect the rights of businesses, and get rid of unnecessary government programs.

I think this is a good example of my ability to use evidence.

Here is our final commercial. We had a few problems making it, like music volume problems, picture quality problems, and video length problems, but I think that we were able to make our video looks pretty good in the end.

After we presented our final video, we had to debate on whether to join confederation or not. In the end, we decided not to join, because our demand for the capital location, demand about gun control, and demand about laissez-faire were not met.

We made this video to show to the class, to announce our decision on whether to join or not. (Loud noise warning).

The driving question for this project, was “how and why did Canada develop into a nation”, and I think that I was able to answer this with almost all of these milestones, along with watching the presentations from other groups. Each one shows either blanket reasons for all of Canada, or those that relate to only a specific colony.

Overall, I think I have learned a lot from this project, from green screen skills, to many historical fact. I also think that this was quite a fun project, as we had lots of freedom to choose what we wanted to do for each thing.

Like Terms

Hello, and welcome back to my blog. Today, I will be talking about a recent scimatics project called “like terms”. This project, focuses on polynomials and like terms, as the name may suggest. It was a very open ended project, where we were allowed to choose our group, and what we would actually do to represent polynomials and like terms. In my group was Owen and Felix. Because we could do anything for our project, we decided to make our project focus on construction materials, and how they can relate to polynomials. We decided that the construction project we would do, would be building a model bridge. We did this using popsicle sticks, hot glue, and string. We then counter the quantity of each thing used (233 popsicle sticks, 7 glue sticks, and 64 inches of string), and came up with a polynomial to represent it. We also were has to make our own driving question, so to represent our construction choice, we went with it being “How could we use polynomials to demonstrate the quantity and cost of materials in construction?”.

Here is the keynote presentation about our project, that we gave in front of our class:

The first competency for this project, was “understanding and solving”. For this, we had to solve problems with multiple strategies, in both abstract and contextualized ways. I think that my project can represent this competency, because in the math part of the project, we took measurements, and make polynomials for three different things. These being the perimeter, volume, and cost of the bridge and it’s parts. This really shows how we used many strategies, and polynomials that are very different to show our understanding of this competency.

The second competency, was “communicating and representing”. For this we had to give a good presentation in class, with the proper usage of the terms we learned for different things. This is fully represented by our presentation in class, and how we used all of the vocabulary, and stuff we’ve learned during it to answer our driving questions. It can also be seen somewhat on our keynote presentation.

The third competency, was “connecting and reflecting”. I think that my presentation can represent this competency, because we were able to connect three different polynomials, to our single model, by focusing on different areas that the math concept could be applied to.

The fourth competency, was “applying and innovating”. This competency was all about contributing to the betterment of ourselves, along with our community and world. I think that the self part, can be represented by my productivity in class, as I was on task for pretty much this entire project. For the community and world part, I think that our focus on construction is important, because learning more about how important infrastructure is built, gives us insight into the real world trades, and gives us the opportunity to find improvements that could be proposed in future jobs.

I think that this a has been a very fun project, and I hope there will be more like it, where it’s very open ended and we can choose exactly what we want to do to answer the driving question.

mPOL

Hello, and welcome to my mid year presentation of learning. In this post, I will show evidence of what I have done so far this year, and how I plan to further my learning by thinking about my prior experiences.

I will start off by talking about a humanities project that I struggled with, that may be my best opportunity to improve as a learner, was the revolutions project. In that project, my group and I had many problems. The biggest probably being communication. My team members, and myself for this project had virtually no communication and argued over who would do what. When it came to feedback on what we had created, we were told to do something but either lacked motivation to do it, or the communication factor played on and it took hours to figure out who would do what. In future my goal is to avoid stuff like this from happening by using apps like Basecamp, and using class time for better planning of what me and my group can do later as that is an essential skill.

A project I think that I did quite good on but could improve on, was the “chemistry stories” project that I did in scimatics before the winter break, that was presented at the exhibition. I was able to make my video fairly good, with all the necessary aspects, but my class time use wasn’t great. I did get distracted quite a bit during the project’s duration, which led me to do it somewhat last minute, meaning that it would be more stressful, and I wasn’t able to add certain extra cosmetic aspects to make it look good. I think a skill that would help me improve on these things is my time management/reducing procrastination. I think I can get better with these by setting time limits of specific apps, and planning when I’m going to do homework on a longer term basis.

Not that long ago in PGP, there was a project for the annual “take your kid to work day”. I think my work for this project was quite good, and something that I should look at for how I can do well as a learner in future. While out on my trip to my dad’s work, I kept focused on the assignment the entire time and was able to get some good picture of almost every aspect of the tour I was able to go on. This focus on recording evidence and staying on task can be helpful in all aspects of school if I am able to keep that mindset. I think I can do this by keeping a list of things I must do on me for whatever place I am going to, and also setting hard deadlines that will make the work more urgent to do, or at least seem that way.

I am now going to talk about a Maker project, from quite a bit earlier in the year. This was our “running a remake” project, where we were given a short film and were told to recreate the film, to be as exact a copy of the original as possible. I think that I can represent the revision skills and perseverance I have learned in PLP with this project because, my group made our original video on a super rainy and bad day, and also in a location that wasn’t similar enough to the original video. After receiving feedback, our group decided that we would go out and reshoot the entire video and edit it again, to create a far better video overall, that looked far more like the original. This is a good example of a FAIL, or first attempt in learning, as we were able to take our low quality project, and turn it into almost a perfect duplicate of the original film.

I would also like to give an example now, of a project that was a part of multiple different classes. This of course, was the 2019 Winter Exhibition. I want to mention this project now, because I think it is a really good example of where I put much of what I had learned from grade eight, and the first term of grade nine, into use to create a very nice project. The reason I say that I put so much of my learning to use in it, is because I used my revision skills, and the launch cycle, along with trying to strive to extend my learning by doing more extra for my project. I say that I did extra in the project, because after making one item for the project, which was already pretty good, and that I completely 3D designed and printed myself, I made another two, perhaps unnecessary items. These two items I made along with my main idea, were a almost completely homemade taser, and a homemade survival kit with specifically picked out items for surviving on Hoth. This not only shows my striving to learn more, but also my commitment to having a growth mindset, since I decided to go the extra mile, under the thought that the extra things would compliment my presentation, and give me a motivational boost from the feeling of achievement after finishing the project.

To conclude this presentation, I would like to say that I have been able to greatly increase my work, writing, and revision quality over the last few months, but my biggest struggle is still time management problems, and distractions caused by the iPad or other causes. With that being said, I will end this with a question, this question being… What methods can I use, that will increase my motivation to put schoolwork over distractions, while still having there be a fun aspect to learning?

Nationalism

Hello, and welcome to my latest blog post. In this blog post, I am going to be talking about the latest humanities unit in my humanities course. This unit, was about two things, the first being nationalism, and the effects it has on people, and countries. This was the main part of the project, and what we based the other half on. The other half, which I touched on in a previous post, was about memes and the app “TikTok”.

As I just mentioned, the biggest part of this project was focused on nationalism, and the consequences of it. For this we looked at different examples of what nationalism has done to different countries like America, Italy, Germany, and India.

The next part, which I talked about in this post, was about memes. You can check out that post, but I’ll briefly summarize it here. In class, we looked into what memes actually are and how their life cycles can be compared to DNA and evolution.

The first milestone of this project was about our prior knowledge about the subjects for the project, and our need to know questions. We had to fill out a little sheet and hand it in for this milestone.

The second milestone of the project was about examining the significance of something. For this, we looked into the Crimean war, and some different media reports on it from when it happened. We were given a list of questions for us to answer about the significance of the Crimean war and how nationalism played into it.

The third milestone of the project was one of the hardest. This was when we had to make and experiment with TikTok. We had to make and hand in three original TikToks. This may seem easy, but it was quite hard to come up with ideas that weren’t just copying random dance trends.

The fourth milestone of the project was about accessing cause and consequence. For this, we studied European colonization and the worldview of the European powers. After we looked into those things, we were tasked with answering a couple of questions about the causes and consequences of colonization, and what values pushed European powers to do it.

The fifth and final milestone of the project was to put the two parts of the project together, and make our memes. We were tasked with making three picture, video, or TikTok memes about nationalism and colonialism. These were supposed to be used by us to answer the driving question of the project.

This is the first meme I made.

This meme is a version of the ancap ball meme which is a sort of sarcastic thumbs up after a crazy example of something in the anarcho-capitalist political ideology is given. The reason my version can relate to the project, is because it gives a summarized example of what the European colonists did. The meme also has smaller versions of the meme thumbs up ball, but with thumbs down. These are all representing the different groups that the colonization would have been bad for.

This was the second meme I made.

This meme, was based off of a video meme that I found on a YouTube meme compilation. I decided to edit it to relate more to the project, by bringing in the subjects of women’s rights and religion, as those were some important things that had to do with colonization. Women’s rights, as in many places women didn’t have the right to vote, and religion, because other religions and having no religion wasn’t seen as acceptable by many governments of the time.

This was my third meme.

I decided to make this meme on the topic of manifest destiny as it was an important part of North American politics and nationalism which also affected Americans, Canadians, and natives. My meme depicts the American government’s reluctance to recognize the natives as their conquest to take all of North America shifted into high gear. I based these meme off of just a funny meme format I found on reddit that reads “I’m gonna pretend I didn’t see that”.

This is a folder of other memes that I made but didn’t use.

After doing these tasks, I think that I can now answer the driving question about how we can use current memes to represent the effects and consequences of nationalism. My answer to this is that the main focus should be on the history that it tells. This should be made light hearted for the meme to be funny, but the most humor will come from including historical examples that will sort of have an “oh yeah I know about this” affect on people. You can see this idea represented if you look at the subreddit r/HistoryMemes, where people make not very deep references to historical events in common meme formats to give the reader something that they’ll understand while still keeping the memes funny.

TikTok

Hello, and welcome back to my blog. Today I’m going to briefly touch on one of our recent assignments. This assignment, was to make TikToks. TikToks are the videos that you make on the social media app TikTok. This may seem like a silly, unproductive assignment to give a class of kids, but it quite a bit more meaning to it than just that. We were looking deeper into what memes are, the reason TikTok is so popular, and how it relates to nationalism, which I will mention in a later post. The driving question of the project this is for is, “how can we use current memes to represent the affects of nationalism”.

What we studied for this assignment, was how memes could be compared with the theory of evolution. The argument for this is that memes mutate themselves as they spread across the internet. This can be seen if you pay attention to current meme trends and watch as certain aspects of memes are put into other new memes, but some aren’t.

Here are the three TikToks I made:

The competency for this assignment was “how do I share my own ideas when I write, speak and represent”. I think I was able to show this fairly well as I used popular songs, formats, or media to show my ideas for the TikToks.

Winter Exhibition

As you may know, before winter break of each year, PLP holds a big exhibition. In the exhibition, we show off our latest projects in display rooms all over the school. This year, everyone’s projects for the exhibition were linked to Star Wars, as the new movie was coming out the day after the exhibition. More on the exhibition later, but let’s get into what our units in humanities and maker were actually about.

For Humanities, our focus was on telling stories, and all the aspects that go into that such as the heroes journey, and the definitions of words that have to relate to stories, like point of view. In the end, our groups had to make their own stories about an outspoken Star Wars character from the planet that our group was focused on. In my group for this project was Felix, Angelo, Julia, Kaden, Meg, and Ciara.

Our first milestone of the project was to write a paragraph about why Star Wars is so popular. This was a good activity to get our brains going and make us really think about the factors that affect people’s thoughts on certain things. The goal of this was to represent the competencies of expressing and supporting opinion, and using evidence. I think I did alright on this but could have done better.

The next aspect and milestone of the project was about short stories. We read quite a few short stories, about Star Wars along with other things. At the same time as reading these, we learned about all sorts of story concepts like theme and mood. We then had to fill out a box for each concept, for each story. This was an interesting activity and I learned a lot about new terms. The competency for this was “literary identification and analysis”. I think I represented this fairly well as I was able to complete my summaries of different aspects of each story, and being able to remember the identifiable quotes for the test about the stories.

The third milestone was about the final story. We had to choose what character our group was doing and then figure out our storyline. This came fairly easy for my group and we had minimal conflict. Our chosen character was Han Solo’s tauntaun from the movie “the empire strikes back”. The competency for this was “Creating and expending shared understanding”. I think that my group being able to work so well to together and create a story that flows through each part represented this well. Here is the chart of our story.

The next milestone of this side of the project was to write a movie review about one Star Wars movie. We learned a bit about how to write a review and then it was time to make my review. I chose to make my review about the same movie as my story’s character was from (“The empire strikes back”). When writing my review, I tried not to be too critical of the dated special effects of the movie, and tried to make my review seem like it was based now but also sort of when the movie first came out. This was interesting and I learned quite a bit about how different magazines and other forms of media review movies. The competency for this was “expressing and supporting opinions”, like I’m milestone one. I think that I was fairly good at expressing my opinion in it but didn’t use too much evidence because of a work limit.

The fifth milestone of this project was the short story section we had to write for our group’s story. I was part three of the story. My part focuses on the training of Han’s tauntaun. I tried to make the story from a real different perspective that showed a potential dark side of animal abuse in the rebel alliance. I think I was able to make a fairly interesting and strong story that showed what I wanted it to quite well. I think I learned quite a bit from this milestone about formatting, and just how it feels to just have the ability to write a story however you want. The first of the competencies for this milestone was “creating and expending a shared understanding”, which I think is represented by none of my group member’s stories having major conflicting parts. The second competency was “literary identification and analysis”, which I think Is represented by how I wrote my story to use different elements we learned about in our short story milestone. The think competency for this part of the project was “the writing process, which I think I represented with how I turned my assignment for being part three of the story, into an action packed story in itself that doesn’t need the other parts to make sense.

The sixth Milestone of the project was designing how our presentations would looks, which I’ll talk more about when I talk about setting up the room.

Now for the Maker aspect of the exhibition. This project, was all about building objects that represent our story parts, using the LAUNCH cycle. The LAUNCH cycle, is a sort of process, where you go step by step to create your final product. We also had to make a journal on the app explain everything to note what we did for each section.

The milestones for this project were different forms and other media to represent the L, A, U, N, C and H phases of the project.

The L phase was called “look, listen and learn”. What we did in this phase was a how might we form, where we had to create our own driving question for our project. I think that this was good because when we create our own driving questions, it gives us more creative freedom to do what we want.

For the A phase, we had to make a pitch form for our project idea and include some elements of it and challenges. This is where I went into more detail on what my idea for my object actually would be. I decided that my project would be a tauntaun training kit that was used for Han’s tauntaun.

The U phase milestone was just to export what we had on our LAUNCH journal so far.

N was the last phase before we created a prototype of our project. In this phase, we were supposed to make a mini video of our idea making process. For my video, I just included all of my ideas for potential objects in my training kit. This was pretty good but could have been better with a voice over.

C was the create phase, where we had to make our first prototypes, and fill in a form about how we would revise them. By that time, I was well on my way to creating a model of binoculars from Star Wars for my training kit.

H was the last phase, and it was called “highlight and fix”. For this stage, we just had to give examples of how we had improved on our object that far into the project. I showed how i had revised my 3d designed binocular models.

Here is a completed video of my LAUNCH journal.

Once all of this work was done, it was time to prepare and set up our rooms for the big presentation. Since my group, was focused on Hoth, we had the idea to make our room look like it was snowy, and also make the room quite cold. To make it look snowy, we took down all posters and everything else that wasn’t white that we could, and put paper snowflakes up. To make the room cold, we opened all of the windows, and brought fans. We then bought ice to put behind the fans to make the air coming out even colder. We also darkened the room and used one spotlight to get light so we could have a visibility slightly more like a blizzard. Another interesting thing we added to our room, was a simulated cave, where you could watch the battle of Hoth on loop. We make this cave by hanging up sheets and paper to block off an area, and pouring packing peanuts on the ground. We also added some extra fans in the cave to make it extra cold. All of this worked very well and we had people telling us how well we cooked the room and simulated Hoth. Another aspect of the room we had to focus on was food and drink. We chose to have “Wampa fur” which was white cotton candy, and decorated cookies as our food as they both could relate to our planet and we could make them fairly easily. For drinks we just had hot chocolate because it is something you would want in a cold place. The driving question for this project was “how might we build an interactive exhibit that explains the hero’s journey.”. I think that what I have said above really represents it as each part of our rooms was a part of the exhibit, that we showed the progression of our stories in.

The exhibition night went pretty well. I was able to show off my final product for my object, which I made three things for. I made the 3d printed electrobinoculars, which turned out almost perfectly, and the only problem was that the pieces were a little off centre. I also made a homemade taser out of some things I had at my house to represent the stun gun used on my group’s character in my part of my group’s story. It worked quite well and could even light matches. The third thing I did for my tauntaun training kit, was to make a little survival kit that would be useful for surviving on Hoth. This included things like a beacon, flashlight, first aid kit, lighter and more.

This exhibition was a fun experience, and it was nice to have the freedom to make what I wanted for it. I look forward to the one coming up in the spring and seeing what projects we will be doing for it.

Chemistry Stories

The last unit in scimatics was called “chemistry stories”. In this unit, we learned all about atoms, ions, and all the compounds they can create. We learned about ionic bonds, where ions and atoms exchange electrons. And covalent bonds, where ions and atoms share electrons. We learned that the reason for these is because they all want a full valence shell so they can be more stable.

Our project for this unit, was to create an animation using the app “explain everything”. We had to represent ionic and covalent bonding in this animation. Here is what I made.

The big idea of this project was, how the electron arrangement in atoms impacts their chemical nature. I was able to show this because I used bohr models in my animation to better show the electrons arrangement of my models. I was sure to make my animation clear and clean to make sure it would be easy to understand.

Here is a mind map I made at the start of the project with questions about it. Now, at the end, I have answered them as best as I could to relate to the project.

The first competency for the project was called communication. This was described as “formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon”. I think I was able to do this by using descriptive voice overs on top of my animation. I also used proper and specific technical language to help the viewer learn more.

The second competency was processing and analyzing. For this we had to interpret different models or diagrams. I think I was able to show this in both sections of my video. They both showed the exchange or sharing of electrons, clean and in detail. I was sure to use a multivalent metal and polyatomic ion and describe those also using my models.

The third and final competency we were tasked with completing was Questioning and predicting. This is about demonstrating your curiosity and motivation in completing the project. I was able to show this by using my class time effectively and staying on task. I think a reason for this sustained motivation was the ability to choose was ions and compounds you did.

Overall this was quite a fun project and very interesting because of the create freedom given to us. I’m looking forward to the next project.

Star Wars “The Empire Strikes Back”, reviewed

A timeless movie, “Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back” even after being released almost 40 years ago, still has intense action scenes and impressive special effects after all the years. Traveling through all the different planets in each section of the movie keeps your on the edge of your seat and unable to look away. The sense of adventure you get as you travel through each landscape, from the ice world of Hoth, to Cloud City, and beyond makes the movie never get boring.

The story follows Luke, just like the last movie. Luke was a boy who grew up on a moisture farm in rural Tatooine. He has a powerful gift in the force. This all makes sense later in the movie, when Luke’s father is revealed. He travels with Han Solo, a space captain who is wanted for not paying Jabba the Hutt, and many more people of the rebellion.

Every new battle scene and planet brings more to the table as new characters, machines, and weapons are introduced. The character development and romance between Han Solo and Leia give the movie a fresh storyline while still keeping the movie very similar to the original. Having the same actors as the original really makes it so there is nothing more negative to it when compared to the original, just more for the storyline.

The introduction of Yoda to the story adds an odd knowledge of Jedi history to the story and gives you a better understanding of how the Star Wars universe works. Other characters such as Lando also provide some insight into the past of Han Solo. Factors like these are able to make the story more intriguing and give it some value for more than just intensity and explosions like many movies of the same genre.

The way that the movie ends is somewhat of a cliffhanger that reflects in such a way that can only mean that there will be another in the series. This really shows how much it was known that the style of movie which it was, was going to continue for a long time.

In general, there isn’t a very deep meaning to the story, as much as it is just a fun movie full of futuristic battle scenes that can give inspiration to people of any age. This makes it a really good movie for if you’re in a good mood and want to see something consistently exciting with a very light mood.

Live event (but not really)

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Our latest assignment for maker was another video one. This video event was about a live event we went to. This event could be basically anything as long as we were able to meet the criteria. We had to use many different affects and skills. We had to get an interview, get still images, and film different kinds of video like time lapse.

For my event, I chose my job as a paper carrier. I choose this because I deliver the papers twice a week and it’s also my main source of money, so it’s quite important. I also thought this would be cool with Black Friday coming up as there tend to be a lot more flyers in the paper. But before actually doing this, I had to make an action plan where I detail to some degree what I am doing and other stuff like my interview questions. Here is my action plan.

For an interview, I interviewed my brother, who is a paper carrier for the route beside mine. I thought it would be interesting to see if he agrees with me on the questions I asked.

After editing the clips and adding music, here is my video.

ISTE standards:

Empowered learner: I think I have represented this competency because, I successfully planned and executed my video to all the requirements with an action plan. This helped me achieve my learning goal because, my goal was to give everyone a better understanding of my paper route and what it means to me and others who have similar jobs.

Creative communicator: I have achieved this competency by, doing what I wanted for my event. I also used all of the required formats like time lapse and more.

Navigating ideas:

– I took risk in changing my event idea multiple times to a later event and still was able to complete it.

– For every idea I had, I looked at how hard it would be to get each kind of video and looked at what video would generally just look best.

– I utilized many of the tools on the camera app and the iMovie app to create my video with all the different types of video and photo required.

Term One Reflection

There are many skills you learn in PLP every unit, term, and year. The first term of my grade nine experience was devoted to videos. We looked at many aspects of video. We looked at angles, formats, audio and much more. In Maker and Humanities, we made many videos. Today I will be compiling all of these videos into one post and reflecting on each one.

The first video I am going to talk about was called the “four shot film”. After learning about angles for filming video, we were put into groups to come up with a creative video idea that we could only film with 4 different angles/shots. My group came up with the idea to film a horror sort of video about not handing in a homework assignment. This was fairly easy, with our group finding a dark room and filming very quickly. I think this represents the competency “innovative designer” well because, my group thought of an interesting idea, to make our video somewhat tie into our own lives. We also though of changing our surroundings by turning off the lights in the room to create a whole new environment for our video. Here is the video.

The second video we made in Alberta was one at the Royal Tyrrell museum in Drumhellar. We were given half an hour to make a short documentary on one thing from the museum. I made my video on an ammonite exhibit. This video wasn’t very great for me as my mic failed and I was left with just my first draft which I didn’t actually want to use. My video was very short also. I do think my video was not terrible though as it gave some good information about the ammonites. Here is my video.

The second video we made was during our Alberta trip. Before the trip, we were put into groups to plan our video. We made a storyboard and plot for our story. We were required to not speak in our video though so there was no need for a screenplay or script. We visited Three Valley Gap, and went to the ghost town. We were given an hour to film this video and some time before to scout out where we would film. My group’s video was about a robbery, and we found a store and sheriffs building to film in, along with a few other buildings. We were able to To film this video fairly easily but we didn’t have very great costumes. This is the video we were able to come up with which I think is very good. I think this represents the competency “creative communicator” as this was a very free project which my group took advantage of in thinking of our video. In the production of this video, everyone’s opinions were heard and we all were in agreement over exactly what to do for every section.

The next video, and maybe the most important one was for Humanities. This was for our “the land is us” project. You can check out my post for that with the link provided. For this project we were supposed to individually make a video about how the land affects different groups. My group was tourists. We had to interview some people to get their perspectives on the question for our videos too. This was fairly difficult as it was not super easy to figure out who would be a good person to interview. In the end, I think I made a fairly informative video but it cold have been better with a wider variety of pictures. here is my video. I think this represents the competency “knowledge constructor” as by doing this project, I have been able to collect many opinions and facts in many different formats. I have also shown my understanding and how meaningful these skills are, by making revisions to my work and reflecting on it.

Our next video project was interesting. You can read my post for this project here. Because instead of making a whole new video, we had to make an exact copy of an already made short film. This film was called “run”. It is a one minute long horror film. We had to do everything ourselves, including making our own music and sound affects. This was all good until we went to film and it was a very bad and rainy day. Another problem was that we couldn’t find a place to film that looked like the original. After receiving feedback, we found a better day and a slightly better location and were able to pull together a revision for our video. here is what we made.

Our next project had us make many videos and was about revolutions. You can check out my post about all of these here. We studied the French, American, and Russian Revolutions and made a different video for each, in a different format. After those we had the freedom to choose what revolution we wanted to do.

Our first revolution we studied was the French. My group did a format called “John Green” where it is a mix of animations and video of someone speaking. In this video, we struggled to have very good animations, and we messed up out audio. We were however, able to fix this by the next video. I do think we got a very good set though for what we had by making use of a hall by the student services room with lots of books, and made the talking parts look pretty nice. Here is our video.

The next revolution we looked at was the American. This one was fairly easy cause I at least knew quite a bit about it. My group decided to act this one out for our video. Our film was fairly good but our voice overs were late as our communication was bad. This video ended up being not very good cause it was apparently too violent. We were able to revise this one though and make it so it had better voice over than the original. Here is what we made.

The final video before our choice one was about the Russian Revolution. My group decided to make a rap about this one. After the lyrics were made, we found a day where we all could go outside and film our video to go with it. We included many different weird dances and angles in it. We were able to then voice record us singing and pair it with the video. That was a slight problem because the lyrics and mouths could be out of sync but this wasn’t a very big issue and didn’t need fixing. After getting a beat by working in garage band, we put it all together to make our video. Here it is. I think this represents the competency “computational thinker” well because me and my group were able to solve the problems before they become issues. We were also able to show our understanding by telling the entire story of the revolution in a few detailed lines that are still catchy lyrics.

For our choice video, my group decided to make a second video on the Russian Revolution. We decided to use a format that mixed still images from back at the time and re-enactments. After losing a group member, our group didn’t fair to well even at pre production. We ended up handing everything in late for the plans for the group. After we finally got stuff together, we were able to get some fairly good re-enactments and were ready to edit. At this point our group communication was terrible. We could spend long periods of time trying to get in touch with each other and this ended up with editing taking a very long time. We did end up finishing our video and getting it in on time but after the critique, our communication stayed bad and we didn’t end up revising it. I think this is a good example of the competency “empowered learner” because the editing and filming used many different skills on technology that when put together created my final product. Here is our video.

The latest video this term was the take your kid to work day video for the PGP course. Take you’re kid to work day, is a day where all grade nines go to work with their parents. The goal of this day is to teach kids more about potential career paths. For my day, I went to work with my dad at the Telus building in downtown. The goal for the day was to get content and at least one interview from the workplace. I got a cool tour of many different things at two different Telus buildings. I got one interview with someone who worked at the advertising department for Telus and it was pretty good. The only problem was that I didn’t have a mic. Another downside to it, is that a lot of the pictures are just wires and not that interesting. I also didn’t get much footage at the beginning because I didn’t know if you were allowed to film the stuff we were looking at. I do however think my video is quite informative and cool as it shows a lot of the behind the scenes of things we take for granted in our daily lives. Here is my video.

Thanks for reading my reflection and see you next time. Be sure to check out all of the posts I have linked to throughout.