Spring Exhibition Online

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I will be talking about my recent blue sky project, and how we presented it at this year’s spring exhibition. This year it was quite different because of distance learning. For our projects we had to focus them on two things. The affects of covid 19 and the UN sustainability goals.

I won’t get into all the milestones of this project since they are all set up, but I will just describe my final solution and reflect on it.

My final idea was as follows.

“As we all know, the effects of COVID-19 on the economy have been devastating. Many small businesses have been forced to lay off employees and even shut down permanently. For my project I decided that I would think up strategies that could be used to restart businesses from the perspective of the federal government.

My first strategy to assist would be to temporarily eliminate the Goods and Services Tax for small businesses. Small businesses would be considered any business in which they have 0-2 locations. This would help them by encouraging people to shop or go to these businesses as there would be a 5% reduction in costs of Goods and Services nationally, while still not taking away from the revenue of the businesses.

The second action I would take would be subsiding small businesses (the same businesses described with the GST section) by way of partially paying off rent of those struggling along with giving them property tax break so less revenue needs to be set aside and less panic is induced.

My third action would be to have government provided PPE if we can stockpile it, because that will allow workers to worry less about stuff such as that and allow businesses to hire without the worry of having too small a supply.

The combined effect of these would drastically help businesses, but would lead to a strain money wise, which we should be able to compensate if the government spent money conservatively post pandemic.”

I think my groups presentation of our ideas including this worked out quite well. It was difficult to come together to figure out a story since our projects were all so different, but we decided to section it into each UN goal to make it easier. We then created a detective story for the presentation. I think this represents the revise competency because we had to revise our story with all the ideas until it made sense.

I think the entire presentation and it’s ideas are a good representation of the take creative risks competency, because the entire presentation method of distanced learning was a creative and new way of displaying our work.

I think I represented the research and understand competency quite well with how I created by project. I researched many different methods of helping businesses and combines the best three,

Thank you for reading about all my Maker projects this year. This will be my last Maker post until Maker 10.

The Great War

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Recently we have been studying the First World War in humanities. Today I will be talking about the different things we learned, the milestones of the project and the final assignment. At the end of the project everyone’s pages were compiled into a final book that is at the end of this post.

The first thing we had to create was something to represent the domino effect that caused WW1 to become such a major war. This is the diagram I made. It’s the flags of the main nations involved in the war put together how the nations are on a map, it describes how the different colours mean different things, and how the initial conflict was just between Austria-Hungary and Serbia.

The second milestone of the project was to figure out the soldier we would be focusing on and get their information. I actually found a couple Canadian soldiers that I was related to that did in fact fight in the First World War. The one I chose was Harold Marsh Wilkinson, who was living in Toronto at the time he went overseas. You can read more about him later in the post where my final copy pages are displayed for my solider and topic.

The next milestone was choosing a topic that relates to the war and research it to create pages for our book. The topic I chose was conscription in the First World War. I specifically focused on conscription within Canada during the war rather than abroad. It was interesting to learn about all the controversy with the conscription laws and how they turned out in the end.

The next milestone had to do with a book study. We were all put into groups for random books, and every week we had to read a certain section of the book and complete a certain activity. The majority of the activities were just doing stuff like writing questions to ask the group I was put in.

And once this was all done, we had to do the final assignment of it, to put our topic and soldier info into final pages for our book. My pages are page 66-69. I think the topic and soldier combined really represent my understanding of the “comprehend” competency, because the entire assignment was to collect information from whatever video or written sources we could, and interpret them in a way that would be best for our book.

One of the biggest things I’ve learned from this project is how people’s ideas and beliefs have changed. At the beginning of the war, nationalism was at an all time high with people, not it is quite a minor factor in modern times. Another interesting thing was how communism rose so much across Europe at the end of the war. Also the thoughts of war, and how those. I also learned about how alliances can lead to such widespread affects, which is probably still very relevant today as we are a member of NATO. I think comparing things like these are a good representation of my knowledge of the “take historical perspectives” competency since comparing the similarities and differences between then and now allows us to see the differences and similarities between the two and adjust our perspective away from what we see as negative today, and see what it would have been like to be there at that time.

Thanks for reading my blog and the accounts of my learning in humanities for the year.

TPOL

Hello and welcome to my TPOL. Today I will be discussing my learning through examples of my strengths, weaknesses and achievements this school year, and how this proves that I am ready to move to the next grade level. Several months ago I presented my MPOL, which focused on how I was doing midway through the year.

The first project I am going to focus on here is my witness to history project, which was a recent project focused on the coronavirus pandemic. For this project we really had to put our journalism skills to the test. I focused my video for this project on the effects of the virus on my neighbourhood/community, Blueridge. Near the beginning of this project I encountered issues where I handed something in late, leading to it not getting revised in time and made me end up behind, but I overcame this and created a pretty good video, showing the situation across the community in my footage. The only issue was me using a copyrighted video clip of a government press briefing at one point. This is a good show of perseverance.

For my second example, I will be talking about my Louis Riel/ethical dimensions project. This project had quite a few roadblocks along the way too, but it also turned out quite solid. The start of this project went quite smoothly, as me and my partner for it were able to pick out our topic quite easily for it. We focused on the Second Boer War. Our task was to create three images that represented the war, the issue was that my partner ended up getting sick for an entire week, causing me to lead the project on my own.

The next example I will talk about is my Confederation Commercial project. For this project we were put into groups for each project in the Confederation Conferences, and were tasked to create a short commercial about our demands to join the new nation. Our demands were somewhat silly, but we were able to create a pretty good video with the green screen. I think this really represents how our video skills have improved over the year, as we have learned skills like that.

The next example I would like to bring up is destination imagination for this year. This year for Destination Imagination, my team took up the engineering challenge of building a bridge out of cards and duct tape to support a weight going across it. We started off with many ideas each, but rather than fight we were able to test the majority of them to figure out which ones were actually the best for us. As we moved toward the tournament we continued to have issues, but we persevered. At the first tournament encountered a few issues with our bridge, but it generally was a very good build strategy. We planned to fix the issues until the coronavirus lockdown happened. Because of that, we ended up having a tournament online, where I rebuilt the bridge very effectively, but for the presentation my table was not big enough for the bridge and it ended up breaking so I wasn’t able to test it. This all shows how willing I am to try for success and revise until I can get there.

My last example that shows my commitment to learning is this TPOL itself, since because of this lockdown my grades cannot go down, but I have continued to do the work for many projects. This hasn’t been perfect since a few are missing, but it is still far beyond the minimum.

And now I will talk about my MPOL, and how I have moved towards the targets set in that. In my MPOL one of the things that I highlighted was teamwork and how that had been difficult during my revolutions project. I have since done far better in relation to this, and I will use two of the prior examples to justify that. In destination imagination, my group for this year worked very well together, and we were able to come to agreements far better than the prior year. This could also be said for my confederation commercial project, where my group worked together extremely well and didn’t have any arguments over what we would do.

Now I will talk about how I ended my MPOL. I ended speaking about my time management as it relates to use of my iPad and distractions. I have been able to move towards this in a couple different ways, although they have been somewhat interrupted by quarantine. The first way being that when I need to get something done, I will simply delete the apps that may act as distractions when I must be focused. My second strategy that I have applied is to choose a specific part of the evening to get whatever done that I can over a certain period.

How Coronavirus Affects A Community

Welcome back to my blog. As everyone knows, there have been major changes to our society and ways of life due to Covid-19. As a result of this, we were given the task of documenting and making a video essay about the affects on a community that is important to us. This is the project that I will be discussing today.

The first milestone of this project was to create a short video and is also linked to another project in Humanities. The video was supposed to be about what was happening in BC before the gold rush. I focused by video on the fur trade and used a horror theme for the way it was made. The video is supposed to follow the way that a beaver is hunted and made into a hat. It starts by having the hunter and trader agree to a deal, and then the hunter catch the beaver and trade it. Then in the next scene we see the hat being made.

Our second milestone was where we had to figure out what we were going to make our video about. For this we had to make a story spine. This is where I had to choose what community I would focus on. The neighbourhood I live in, Blueridge. I also focused on how this pandemic affected me personally.

Our next milestone was less related to the project, but also still a cool skill. For milestone three we had to make our own song on GarageBand using different instruments. This was a pretty fun milestone since we got to experiment with all different things to see which was best. The tool that we used was something called autoplay, where you select the notes that you wish to play, and the computer will put something together for you. You can change the sophistication of the song too. What you do is then put multiple of the instruments together to create your finished song.

Our fourth milestone was turning our story spine into a storyboard and showing what our film would actually look like exactly. This took a bit and a revision, but I was able to create a pretty good one that got the point across and was able to move on to my video.

For my video, I just had to put what was in my storyboard together. This took quite a bit of time, to get the different shots.

The person I decided to interview for the video was my mother, since she is quite active in the community, and I don’t have that many connections I could interview. The music I decided to use in my video is actually the same song that I made for milestone three, just altered slightly.

Here is my video:

I think it turned out fairly well, although the main thing that could have been better was how shaky the camera was when filming some of the stuff. Another thing that could have been better would be the interview quality, but I don’t currently have a microphone that would have worked for that purpose.

Overall I think that this was an interesting project that made sense to do during such an odd time. Thanks for reading.

Time Is Money

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I will be discussing one of my latest Scimatics projects. This was the time is money project. For this project, we were told to think up a business idea that we would turn into a linear equation and put on a graph. For mine I decided that I would 3D design and print a little device to make sure that my Apple Pencil cap doesn’t fall off, since that is actually a big issue.

Here is the video that I made for the project that demonstrates my learning.

Now I will talk about the competencies being judged in this project.

The first competency I will discuss is the understanding and solving one. I think I have demonstrated this competency quite well, which can be shown by the detail I put into my video discussing the costs and profits of my business, and the justifications for each item and cost. I so however think that it would have been more accurate if I used the actual time worked instead of the amount of time to print my product.

The second competency for this project is communicating and representing, which I think I have shown with the graphs and data that I discussed and showed within my video. I do however think that I could have improved with this, had I included even more examples and data.

The third competency for this project was connecting and reflecting. This can be represented by how in my second to last slide in my video, I discussed whether this business is a good career and compared it to a minimum wage job. I probably could have improved this by adding more carriers to compare, but minimum wage seemed like a good comparison.

Overall this was a pretty fun project since we got to research and create whatever we wanted and had near total freedom of choice.

DI But Online

last month, we learned that the Destination Imagination Provincial Tournament was to be canceled because of Covid-19. Many of us didn’t think that Destination Imagination would go on after this, but the teachers had a plan. They arranged for there to be an online Destination Imagination tournament over Zoom for our classes. This let my group to get back to work revising our solution to our challenge. As mentioned in my last post about the regional tournament, there were many things that didn’t go too well with our presentation.

Anyways, let’s go back to the basics of our challenge. We had a few different elements to it that we had to solve. Those being a story, bridge, technical method to move a weight, team choice elements and then a team challenge. The one that I focused on most was the bridge.

When we heard about the online tournament happening, the first thing that was assigned to me was the bridge. I immediately looked at what didn’t work for the bridge last tournament, and began to think of solutions. As mentioned in my post about the Regional Tournament, the biggest issue with the bridge was the speed of connecting the parts. I was able to fix this by making the parts more precisely, along with using other pieces to hold connectors at the proper angles. Another problem that was encountered with our original bridge, was that the platforms at the top weighed too much. To solve this I build platform pieces to use two card triangles, instead of the usual three. This gave the bridge virtually the same strength as last time, just with far less weight. This also improved the angle of the platform, allowing for wheels to grip better on either side and make it harder for our technical method to fall off.

When it came to the technical method, I was able to get pretty much all of it working like at regionals. I still had all the parts except for the cart to carry the weights, which I wasn’t able to create a new version of in time for our presentation.

The other elements are all more related to our presentation, which I will talk about now. We had to present over a zoom call. This was difficult, but allowed us to change our backgrounds easily to help the presentation. The presentation went pretty well. We were able to finish our entire story unlike last time, and we were able to have Felix polish up and sing the song this time. The part of the presentation that didn’t go well was the bridge though. The bridge was pretty good and solved most of the problems from last time, but my table wasn’t actually big enough to put the bridge on, and I ended up having to put it on a carpeted floor where it couldn’t stand up.

After our main presentation, we had one thing left to do. This thing was the instant challenge. Our instant challenge was a presentation one where we had to make a skit. Our group came up with a funny and unique skit, but our presentation ended fairly short.

Thanks for reading my post. Overall this year’s DI was quite unusual, and the online tournament caught me by surprise, but I’m happy my group was able to pull through and revise our solution fairly well. Please check out my previous post for more info about DI.

Destination Imagination 2020

Recently, all of the PLP students in grade eight and nine participated in the Destination Imagination Regional Tournament for Greater Vancouver. There were many things that went well with the event and my group’s presentation, and many that didn’t. I am here today to reflect on those things.

I’ll start this post off by briefly explaining what Destination Imagination is. Destination Imagination is an international competition in which students from different grade levels compete in a challenge to see who can get the most points and be the most creative. This year I was put in the engineering challenge. For this challenge the goal was to make a bridge, using just cards and duct tape as the materials, that could carry weight over a barrier. In my group to complete this challenge, were Thomas, Ciara, Felix and Gabe.

The story we came up with for our presentation, was that some explorers got trapped in a cave while looking for something. They then find some miners. The miners will supposedly “help them get out”, but actually bring them to a lost city. On the way, the explorers find a gem, and carry it with then to the city. They then find the city, and use the gem to turn its power on, which leads to the mayor being really happy and singing a song.

For our bridge, we decided that building triangles would be the most effective method. We bent three cards in half and fitted them together into a solid triangle. After that we put three of the triangles together to form a larger piece. We then put three of the larger pieces together, to make one long piece that would be used in the final bridge. We connected those final pieces, with mini triangles made with the same method as the original ones. This was quite difficult, since each piece of the bridge had to weigh under 75 grams, and had to be under 18 inches long, wide or tall.

Another element of the challenge was a technical method to move our weight across our bridge. For this, we created two separate platforms that would house parts, and then they would have a string that went between the sides to carry the weight across the bridge like a gondola. The technical system we used was a remote controlled motor system. I built this system by getting a DC motor and connecting it to a battery pack. I then put a remote activated relay between the two, and then added batteries to that as well. I then stuck it in a styrofoam block to keep it all together, easy to fix, and easy to attach to our towers.

When it comes to our actual presentation day, it didn’t go so great. My group did well with improvising our script but our bridge had a couple components that wouldn’t fit together and that took the whole project down. After the components were weighed, some of our bridge connectors, which were used to connect the towers on the sides and the bridge deck, got bent out of place. This made it so the bridge couldn’t stand up, and just fell because the weight was unbalanced from how we had to connect the pieces. There wasn’t much else we could have done to prevent that, since the damage to our bridge structure happened at a time where we could no longer fix it.

One thing that did go great on our presentation day, was our instant challenge. I’m not really allowed to say much about it, but my group was able to come up with a creative and funny solution to what we were asked to do. We ended up winning first place for the instant challenge.

The competency being assessed for this challenge is the “Research and Understand” competency. I believe that I have shown my understanding of this competency, by showing my group’s bridge building and technical solutions. I believe that they represent this because of all of the research and testing that went into finding the best solution to the problem. There were also many different perspectives and ideas that we had to chose the best one of. We also had to do research for every other challenge element, by doing stuff like reading the challenge guide and looking for things to get ideas from.

In the end, we were able to win first place despite the problems we faced, which I think we earned because of all the work we put into our presentation, even though it didn’t work. Sadly the Provincial Tournament is canceled due to Covid-19 though, so we can’t fix and showcase our bridge design.

Louis Riel

Recently in humanities, we had a project focuses on ethical and unethical actions in Canadian history. This topic could be very vague, but there were two things my group was specifically focused on. Those two things being the story of the Red River Settlement and Louis Riel which everyone in the class focused on, and then the Second Boer War that only my group covered. In my group was Finn and I.

To start the project off, our first milestone was to find a news article that related to a current event that involved aboriginal people. We then had to fill out a response to each question word (Who, what, when, where, why and how) that tells the audience about the article. The story I decided to focus my article on was aboriginal gang warfare in Williams Lake, BC. Here is my response to the article.

Our next milestone was to choose our topics that our group would focus on, and then research them. This is where me and my partner choose to research the Boer War, since it was the first overseas military conflict that Canada participated in. There was Great divide between the French and English Canadians about the conflict and whether Canada should participate. I generally agree with the French Canadians more and think that we had no business fighting there. Here is the research we recorded.

One of the next milestones of the project was reflecting on a book that we read about Louis Riel. The book followed the experiences and actions of Louis Riel between when the sale of Rupertsland was first being negotiated, all the way to his death. It seemed to follow historical fact to a pretty high degree, but it seemed like the actions scenes were a bit exaggerated. Once everyone had read the book, we were given some in class time to write a reflection on the book. This is what I wrote, it isn’t that long, but I think it is pretty good when you account for the time restraint. I think that this represents my “Connect” competency, because it shows how I have used the actions within the book to craft my response, and the book uses people’s personal historical accounts to carry the story along.

The next milestone was the biggest part of our project. For this milestone we had to come up with and produce three images that represent the Boer War in a creative way. For this part of the project Finn was sick, so I had to create these all myself.

This was the first image I created. It is a quote for Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier that is from an interview about the war. Behind the quote is a photo of Canadian soldiers that was taken during the Boer War. I thought that this was fitting because it showed the opinion of the Canadian government on whether Canada should participate in the war. This is one of the more neutral opinions on the war, since the government wanted to please both the English in Canada, and the French because doing otherwise would make it hard to get re-elected. Here is the image.

The second image that I created was a colored in version of a comic from an old newspaper. This comic was from a Montreal newspaper and was published in 1902. The wording of it really shows the opinion of French Canadians in relation to the war. I decided that coloring it in and drawing some small images would bring life to the image, and better explain the comic. This is my second image.

For my third and final image, I decided to make a meme. For the meme I decided to use the internet explorer meme template, which shows internet explorer tweeting something that happened a long time ago. For this image I decided to represent the English opinion of Canada participating in the war, which was that we should help Britain. It also shows quite well, who actually ordered for the troops to be sent to South Africa.

I think that these images represent my understanding of the “Understand Ethical Dimensions” competency, because they show that I have researched and looked into all of the opinions on the conflict, and used them to craft my opinion.
Another activity we did for this project was an in class debate on whether the prosecution and hanging of Louis Riel was justified. I was on the team that believed that he should have been hung. We ended up “winning” the debate according to the moderator, because we had create a list of the many crimes that Riel committed before and after he was granted amnesty. I think this is one thing that shows my understanding of the competency “Understand Ethical Dimensions”, because in order to complete the activity we had everyone debate whether a past event was justified, and then to some extent come up with a conclusion.

Overall I think that this project has been quite fun, because we got to learn a lot about the early history of Canada and the decisions of the government.

Metaphor Machines

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I will be talking about Our latest Scimatics project, called metaphor machines. The goal of this project, was to build a Rube Goldberg, that symbolizes the scientific method as the “metaphor”.

For this project, I was in a group with Malaika and Finn. To build our machine, we decided to use metre sticks, pipe, and a few other materials. We centred our machine around a marble, and make it travel to the end by going through tubes, going down ramps, falling and bouncing back and fourth on platforms, until it eventually reached the end and turned on our lights.

Here is the video my group made for the project:

Here is a mind map that I made at the beginning of the project, that I have added some facts to and answered my questions on.

Questioning and predicting: I think that I have been able to achieve this competency, because despite having one group member away for most of the project, we successfully built our metaphor machine in time and in a way that it actually was good.

Reasoning and analyzing: I think I achieved this competency because, my group was able to create a blueprint with all required measurements and elements, along with come up with alternative methods for building our machine.

Planning and conducting: I think I have been able to achieve the goal of this competency because, my group was able to create q good series circuit for our machine, and even get it to turn on as a function of the machine. We also created a good circuit diagram, with all the proper measurements and symbols.

Scientific communication: I think that my group achieved this well, because our group video, included multiple run throughs of the machine, along with voice overs describing everything about the machine.

Overall I think this was quite a fun project, and I am happy that we were able to have a lot of creative freedom when it came to it. I learned a lot about how circuits and electricity work, and am looking forward to the next project.

Confederation Commercial

Hello, and welcome back to my blog. Today, I will be talking about my latest humanities project, called “confederation commercial”. As the name would suggest, this was a project about the history that led up to confederation in Canada. The way we were going to represent our learnings for this project, was that we were going to make a two minute commercial, about one of the colonies demands for joining confederation. The colony that I was a member of, was Prince Edward Island, which didn’t actually join confederation until a few years after it happened, and who mainly joined to pay of railroad debt. In my group, was Matthew, Angelo, Felix, and myself.

For the first milestone of the project, we had to read through a document about all the reasons why Canada became a country, and we had to write a paragraph about all of them. I thought that this was a very good start to the project, as it taught as the basics of why we had confederation, which would help us later on in the project, as we would know what would be a possible demand of our colony, and what wasn’t plausible.

The second milestone of the project, was to collect information about the real historical reasons our colonies would or wouldn’t join confederation. We did this by creating a chart on a pages document, using info we found on google, or the sources we were given. This taught us similar things to milestone one, but more specific to our colony, so we had more ideas of what to actually put in our commercial.

Our third milestone for the project, was supposed to be a model Charlottetown conference. For this, we had to come up with our preliminary proposals to join confederation. These had to be historically plausible for the time period. Here is our keynote, for our proposals.

The fourth milestone, was just to write a screenplay, that says exactly what you would see and hear during our video. This was pretty easy to get done, as we just transferred most of our preliminary proposals, and edited them slightly.

The fifth and final milestone, other than this post, was our final video. For this, we were supposed to put our screenplay into action, and film everything. To help with our video making, we used a green screen, so we were able to add whatever backgrounds we wanted to each section of the video. Here are our proposals and justifications for them, which are included in our video.

1. Our first demand, for joining confederation, was to have the capital in Fort Albany. We thought this was the best choice, because it was far north, so the Americans would have a harder time invading it. Another reason, was that it was in Rupert’s land, which would justify the new nation annexing it.

2. Our second demand, was to get funding for a bigger port. Our reasoning for this, is that we could bring in more imports and exports, and that would help the economy. It would also create more jobs.

3. Our third demand, was to be in charge of creating a national anthem for the new nation. Our reasoning for this, was that it would boost morale and patriotism within the nation.

4. Our fourth demand, was to have good parliamentary representation, so we could have control over our own provincial autonomy.

5. Our fifth demand was to have gun control prohibited. Our reason for this was because Canada most likely wouldn’t have a very large army to send to our island, so the militia would be our best defence against Americans.

6. Our sixth and final demand, was to have a laissez-faire economy. Our reasoning for this was that it would improve the economy, create jobs, respect the rights of businesses, and get rid of unnecessary government programs.

I think this is a good example of my ability to use evidence.

Here is our final commercial. We had a few problems making it, like music volume problems, picture quality problems, and video length problems, but I think that we were able to make our video looks pretty good in the end.

After we presented our final video, we had to debate on whether to join confederation or not. In the end, we decided not to join, because our demand for the capital location, demand about gun control, and demand about laissez-faire were not met.

We made this video to show to the class, to announce our decision on whether to join or not. (Loud noise warning).

The driving question for this project, was “how and why did Canada develop into a nation”, and I think that I was able to answer this with almost all of these milestones, along with watching the presentations from other groups. Each one shows either blanket reasons for all of Canada, or those that relate to only a specific colony.

Overall, I think I have learned a lot from this project, from green screen skills, to many historical fact. I also think that this was quite a fun project, as we had lots of freedom to choose what we wanted to do for each thing.