Student blogging challenge week 5

This is the 5th week of the student blogging challenge now and it is focused on music. My personal music taste goes against the normal quite a bit. I completely despise K Pop, Rap, and Hip hop music. The only genre I listen to consistently is Country. Most of the country music I listen to is modern but some older.

For my first task I’m going to just post a quick little survey I made to figure out what kinds of music people like.

For my second task I’m going to state some facts about my favorite music artist, High Valley. High Valley is a country music duo from La Crete, Alberta. They have been active in the music industry since 1997 but only became popular in 2014 after their hit song ‘Make you mine’. In 2015 they signed a contract with Warner music Nashville (WMN). The CEO and president of WMN even went as far as to say that ‘I couldn’t sleep at night until they were signed onto our label’. Since then they have released an album called ‘Dear Life’ which even reached number 3 on the Heatseekers albums billboard. Since then they also released a couple new singles also. I suggest you check them out.

‘Make you mine’ by High Valley:

For my third task I am going to share a link to a Spotify playlist I made of some of my favorite songs. As you may see there is quite a bit of High Valley there along with other Canadian country music. For most of the songs I just like the way they sound. In music I never really look deep into the lyrics. I just like what sounds good cause I don’t feel very deep meaning in songs.

Thanks for taking your time to read my post.

Running a remake

For our last unit in Maker class we were studying short films and how to make them. Our goal was to answer the driving question ‘What technologies, tools, and strategies can we utilize to create short films?’. Our project was to create a perfect copy of a one minute long horror film called ‘run’. Here is the video original ‘Run’ from YouTube.

Our first assignment of the project was about our personality types. We took a test from 16personalities and got the results. We were then supposed to take a screenshot of our type and mention a couple strengths and weaknesses of our type. This was to understand your strengths as a learner. I think I did well on this first milestone of the project but didn’t really extend beyond the basic assignment.

Our next jobs, after we were put in groups, was to create a screenplay, storyboard, and call sheet to plan for our project. In my group was Alex and Finn These are all different methods used to plan filming stuff. The screenplay is basically to write out the scenes on paper and figure out what is happening. The next step is to make a storyboard, where you show animations and images to bring the story to life and see if it is actually good. After that you make a call sheet. The call sheet is basically to set up the filming, it shows the props needed and other important information like everyone’s roles. Here is our screenplay, storyboard, and call sheet.

All of that was the pre production, now it’s onto the production and post production. As this was supposed to be a perfect copy of the original we had to find props and outfits to make it as close as possible. After my group had all the costumes we went into the forest by the school and found a trail to film. It was a pretty dismal day and was really raining so that was difficult but we still got all but one scene filmed. After some editing and adding sounds effects we had completed our first draft. Here it is…

After showing that video to a different group and handing it in we got this feedback.

We looked over it and revised what we could including a complete change to the location to make it look like more of a trail similar to that in the original. Another thing we did for the new one is completely change the sound effects and go through multiple different drafts for the music. We also changed how the monster looked. After filming the video again and revising the other parts of the video this was our final product.

I think the driving question can be answered completely by the process and apps used for the video. All the tools and technologies like iMovie, garage band, keynote, pages and iMessage were used to create parts of the project or collaborate to get it done. And for strategies, the collaboration over keynote and communication over iMessage were very important for the ability to have everyone know their roles and do their parts and sent them in real time.

This has been a pretty fun project in general. being able to have creative app freedom meant we could all use different and unique methods to add to our parts and make everything unique even though it is all supposed to look the same. I do think it could have been more fun if you had more freedom as to what your video actually was but this format was probably best for learning the skills of pre production, production, and post production.

Correlation and Causation

The last unit we did in Scimatics was about correlation and causation, and the difference between them. At first we looked at a few correlation graphs and saw how random they could be. So after the brief intro we were taught all about correlation and causation and then were instructed on how to do a survey. For our project that we had to do, we were told to make two surveys and find one with correlation but no causation and then one with causation and then present our findings to the class. In this project I was partners with Ciara. Here is our keynote presentation for the project.

This is my mind map for the project. The questions at the top are the questions I made on the first days of the project and below those are my answers to them.

Core competencies:

Communicating and Representing mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms: I think I used this competency well because, my presentation used different formats such as images to communicate. We were tasked in this category to show two pictures of graphs with correlations and we did so. One thing we should have done better was on our scatter plot graph we forgot to label the groups correctly so it was confusing and hard to understand.

Communicating and representing. Using mathematical vocabulary and language to contribute to mathematical discussions: I think I have don’t this well as I have learned the main vocabulary for the topic of this unit. On my presentation we know and point out which graphs have correlation and which have causation without correlation. We also pointed out any of the possible bias in our surveys.

Applying and innovating. Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through individual and collaborative approaches: One of the goals for this competency is to have used all class time effectively. I think I did this good but there was a fair amount of time where I was confused on what was going on. The other goal was to have had used good ethics in my survey which I think I did.

Overall I think I did pretty good on this project but there are the few things I mentioned earlier about labeling graphs and making data easier to understand.

Week 4 student blogging challenge

I didn’t know what to write for this post so I thought I would enlighten everyone with the knowledge of the best political candidate, Rocky Dong. With the recent canadian election there were lots of ups and downs, but definitely the best part was watching the amazing campaign by People’s Party Of Canada candidate Rocky Dong.

Above is Rocky Dong. Photo by Christopher Cheung.

I first encountered Rocky Dong’s campaign while just searching up random stuff for the election in our area. I found an article about his first campaign video and went and watched it and it was hilarious.

First video:

I think this video was not only very funny but also had quite the strategy involved with how it was made. I think the goal of all the videos for his campaign was not to be high quality but it was all a publicity stunt as the PPC wasn’t, and still isn’t very well known. I also think another strategy that led to this video was wanting to engage young voters into politics with humor.

The first video was funny but I was even more excited when I saw there were more. In the next video Rocky goes around the city like your average Joe and pointing out all the struggles and problems with the current system. Later, after a long day of work, Rocky sits down with a beer for some relaxation only to have socialism come out of nowhere and challenge him to a fight.

Second video:

In the next of the series Rocky goes to fight socialism but soon realizes that all of the other parties are supporting it. He is getting beat bad but suddenly supporters show up and he fights just a little more. He wasn’t able to win against socialism but he pledged to win next time.

Third video:

In the fourth video Rocky Trains for the fight. He goes on many runs and goes to all sorts of places from deep cove to parlement hill. After spreading his message and getting more fit he hops on a motorbike and rides over to socialism to challenge it this time.

Fourth video:

In his last video the fight is finally on. Rocky runs to the gym with a mob of supporters and a coach and gets ready for the fight. He beats up socialism one issue at a time and even with the corrupt socialism kicking him and the Conservative party now supporting socialist issues Rocky pulls through with his trustworthiness and determination. In the end he talks about how he won the fight but that was only the beginning of the assault on socialism.

Fifth video:

In the end rocky didn’t do too well in the election winning under 3% of the vote but with the spread of his videos in my school and love for comedy he was actually able to win the student vote for our school.

I recently had the awesome opportunity to meet with Rocky himself and talk for a little bit about the way our school voted. Rocky seems like a very nice working class man and I would love to see him run again and win in the next election.

Alberta Field School

Hello everyone. This is my reflection for PGP on the recent trip that all of PLP 9 went on in September. In this post I am supposed to answer the driving question ‘how did you persist and manage your impulsivity on this field study in order to question, think, and gather data to complete your project and enjoy yourself?‘. To answer this question I must use evidence from the trip like assignments.

To start I am going to show my ghost town video. This was filmed at Three Valley Gap, the first place we stayed overnight. Beside the hotel in Three Valley Gap is the only privately owned ghost town in North America. Our job was to create a old western video in the ghost town at the resort. We were given an hour to do the video. I think my group did pretty well for the time limit as we were on task the entire time, finding a set then filming all our scenes. Here is the video.

The next thing I am going to show is my daily notes. These were daily assignments where we were given a writing prompt every day that relates to the activities that day. I think I completed these fairly well but for many I didn’t finish the day of and had to do them later. That may be something I should improve. Here are my daily notes.

I’m now gonna show something I probably could’ve done better on. We were all told to make a video in half an hour about something at the Royal Tyrrell museum in Drumheller. My video was kind of a disaster as after my first take my mic completely failed and didn’t record any audio and I wasn’t able to find a solution in time. Because of this my video ended up being very short and not that good. I think this was mostly error with the technology but I probably could have noticed the problem sooner and thought of a better solution.

To show I was able to do my work effectively and collect enough evidence and media, here is my final video for the project we were mainly focusing on.

I think this shows that I was able to collect evidence and be impulsive as I made sure to revise and put a variety of stuff in my video.

As for the fun part that was so so. Some parts were really fun when relaxed but others not so much.

Following copyright laws

The student blogging challenge for this week was all about using images, copyright, and making images.

The first task was to teach the reader a little bit about copyright images. I made a little graphic showing the order you should go about getting a picture if you need one. Here it is….

Our next task was to create an image so on my walk home I took a couple pictures of two different parts of the trail. For the more fall one I upped the shadow on it. For the more green one I upped the saturation greatly to make the bottom bushes almost look tropical.

Our next task was to find a pixabay image or multiple and to just put them here so here is a picture of a moose and trees in front of the northeI really liked.

cocoparisienne / Pixabay

our next job was to create a poem about an image we found. I am going to make mine about the picture I put above.

I am a caribou in the night

my grunts and howl bring delight

to all the hunters high and low

Waiting for the winter snow

I hope you enjoyed my post and I look forward to the next weeks challenges.

How to write a comment right

Hello and welcome back to my blog. This week’s student blogging challenge assignment was to explain the proper way to comment of people’s blogs. It seems many people struggle with this is ‘blog good’ is generally not a good comment. That’s why I am here to explain to you how to get beyond just sending the thumbs up emoji to being more specific.

Of course before you comment on something it’s important to actually read it and make sure you understand to the best of your ability. Once you have an understanding of what they are talking about and you have finished reading you should pick out some of the things you liked best about the post. If there are things on the post that confuse you a comment is the perfect way to get an answer and bloggers will most likely be very excited to talk to you and help. Once you have got your words of encouragement ready it’s time to comment. Scroll to the bottom of their post and start off by addressing them and then say something about how good their post is and then follow through to explaining what you liked. After that ask your questions about whatever you want clarified. Here is an example of what a comment should look like…

Much better than this kind of comment.

To show this concept I make a little photoshop to show some good things to do and bad things to do when commenting.

For the last part of this weeks challenge we had to comment on other people’s blogs to show our understanding. Here are the three comments I left and the posts they were on.

https://kidblog.org/class/morharts-minions/posts/4icr6937yeke76tj6dnit4fr4

https://paytonsiperly.blogspot.com/2019/10/all-about-me.html

https://kidblog.org/class/morharts-minions/posts/8gco9dzzd1t5u0ipjzx93jq5

I think my comments were fairly specific and asked quite a few interesting questions but could probably have had a bit more strength in their length.

I think this week’s tasks are good to learn as people generally don’t comment best but I don’t think it is the best topic to make a post on especially for those who have blogged before. I’m interested to see what next week brings.

The land is us

For the first unit of PLP 9 humanities and the main focus of our field study to Alberta was place, and how it impacts us as people and other groups such as tourists. The driving question was ‘how does place impact who we are?’.

After we were introduced to the planner for the projects and each milestone we will have to accomplish we went straight into an activity about what things impact us living in North Vancouver. We were told to create a creative response to showcase our ideas so I decided to make a photoshop collage of a bunch of things that are important to me living here. I think this was a good way to start off our project cause it gave a good idea of what we were aiming to figure out for the larger part of the project and got us thinking and out of summer mode.

One of our next activities was we were put into groups of four and given a news article for each lens. The lens I ended up with was political. The news article my group was given was about the appeal from BC to stop the Trans Mountain pipeline. Here is what I wrote.

The next thing we did was in random order have everyone pick a group of people from a list to make the groups for the project. The group of people I chose was tourists and In my group also focusing on tourists was Kaden, Ben and Gabe.

Our next major milestone in the project was planning out our project. We were assigned places where we would focus on and hopefully interview people at. Our job was to research there places. We also had another couple tasks in planning our project and those were, to create a timeline of major events that impacted our group over time. Our other task was to just get more specific into who we were interviewing and the questions we should be asking them. I think this was really smart to do instead of going into Alberta not knowing what to do. I think it also made us more comfortable about what we were doing there now that we had a nice plan.

The last thing I am going to mention from before the trip was a little activity that just taught us about the bison and their near extinction. This just taught us a bit more about the history of game in the prairies and how the natives relied upon the bison for nearly everything.

The next thing we knew we were off to Alberta. For the first bit of the trip I got no interviews and was still figuring out what was going on but, by the second day I was able to get two interviews from a park ranger and a Rogers Pass expert from the discovery center and then later another one in Lake Louise. Other than a few other single question interviews that weren’t recorded I was able to get one more at our boat cruise at Lake Minnewanka. I will probably talk more about the trip on a later blog post.

Once we got back from the trip our first task was to come up with a script. Then, we had to begin making our video. Our video had to be between three and four minutes and it turned out my first script and plan was five minutes so after revising my script and fixing my video I was able to make my first draft of the video. Here is the feedback I got on it.

Once I looked over the feedback I changed and completed everything suggested except I was unable to speak slower. I created my own music in garage band also for my final video where I give my answer to the driving question. Here it is.

I think that this project has been pretty good from a learning standpoint. I think it was good that we got to learn about this subject cause it shows you the perspective of so many groups on the land and you get to learn so much about your actual main group of people that you wouldn’t be able to without going on the trip and having the first hand experience of being a tourist there and talking to the experts on your group. I do think it would be better if the groups were less specific as it could let you learn more about all the groups but with this method you can go look at classmates blog posts and look at what they learned and get the full understanding.

Game of exponent laws

For the first unit of scimatics 9 we focused on exponent laws. Our job for this unit was to answer the driving question which is ‘How does math make games more complex, interesting and re-playable?’. To answer this we learned about the exponent laws and then in a group of 2-3 people create a game that utilizes 4 of the exponent laws in the rules. In my group was Ryan, Matthew and I.

We started out the unit by learning about a story called the legend of Demi and the grain of rice. This taught us a bit about how exponents work and how they can create such big numbers. After that we watched a few videos and did some work to try and learn the laws.

On to the main project. For our games we were given freedom to make virtually anything so my group came up with a game based off the US political system. Our game was called Campaign Trail. We started off the project by brainstorming rules for the game and got pretty far before being revised to the current rules. Originally we wanted to make regions have different values that were determined by exponents but that turned out to be very complicated and hard to keep track of so on our final rules we decided to just have each region worth one and whoever has the most at the end wins. Other than that we kept the general idea from the start with a few modifications.

The first thing I did was make a map for the game. I got a map of the US with the states borders on it and divided it into regions then got real world names for the regions and also coloured them. Here is the map

Our original plan was to have players be able to invest in campaigns for each region more than others but that couldn’t be done without being too complicated and didn’t have to do with exponent laws. Instead we decided to make positive, negative and neutral cards that you can buy with the set amount of money you are given for each region. We also had boon and bust cards that gave negative and positive effects and you got them or didn’t depending on what you got on your dice roll. Here are the ten cards that we made

Here are basically the final rules we came up with to explain what our game actually was better.campaign-trail-rulebook.pdf

Something I would do differently if I were to do this project again would be to revisit the rules to make sure they are more clear and include far more cards as there were not enough so it wasn’t as random or fun as it could’ve been. Another problem was that one card was occasionally giving the person who got it millions of points when the other player struggled to get one but it evened out cause it seemed like it alternated who got the super high number.

I think this project was really fun and a good change from normal math as it allows a lot of creativity but, it wasn’t the best at teaching the exponent laws as I am still unsure how to use them much of the time. This project has helped answer the driving question well though as it is first hand experience of how math is used in games and how math can actually be used in business or the real world.

Spring exhibition

To close out the year, all of PLP was to present their projects at the massive spring exhibition. The grade eights and nines we’re doing the same project and we’re mixed into groups together while the grade nine and tens did their own projects for their grade. Our project was to create a product that solves a problem people face. The idea for this project is derived from a system that companies like google use where employees can use 20% of their work hours to work on stuff they really care about, this led to the creation of apps like gmail.

After my original unrealistic idea was shot down I decided to make hats where you could swap the logos on them. My first prototype was a hat and patches with Velcro on them. There were problems with this hat like how you have to stick some to the patch, having some of the Velcro show from the side and, the Velcro peels off over time. Here is the hat

For my next prototype I solved those problems by using clips to hold the patches. This prototype did have its own problems like having clips push on your head a bit. I did sort of fix that by using smaller clips but it was still there. Here is the clip prototype:

My third and final prototype solved all but one of those problems. My final prototype used magnets. This was really good except it put your patch in an unnaturally straight posture and you did have to attach something to the patch. This is also the most expensive prototype by far. Here it is

I personally like the clips but I didn’t really know what one was best so I put it up to a vote come the exhibition. Here is the sheet

Velcro: 4

clips: 4

magnets: 8

For this project we had to follow a process called launch L.A.U.N.C.H. L stands for ‘look, listen and learn’, A stands for ‘ask a ton of questions’, U stands for ‘understand the process of problem’, N stands for ‘navigate ideas’, C stands for ‘create a prototype’, and H stands for ‘highlight and fix’. We all made a keynote presentation to represent what we did for each section. Here is my launch portfolio

Now to the actual exhibition. Us grade eights worked non stop from 3-5 to set up and the older people worked longer. My group consisted of Aedan, Kyle, Kira and Gabby. Our section was called ‘me products’ meaning that what we were making was important to us. We based our section on as seen on tv products because our products seem like they could be as seen on tv. We decorated our station with fake money and signs and had a table of as seen on tv products. For food and drink we had coke and pizza pockets. We didn’t have many people come by our station but for the ones who did I think it was pretty good.

This has been a cool project and I think that I have learned a lot about the process of your work and how not to just start by creating your project. In future I think I need to be more realistic in my idea generation and I need to start my projects earlier so I have more time to make more prototypes and test   it.