Metaphor Machines

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I will be talking about Our latest Scimatics project, called metaphor machines. The goal of this project, was to build a Rube Goldberg, that symbolizes the scientific method as the “metaphor”.

For this project, I was in a group with Malaika and Finn. To build our machine, we decided to use metre sticks, pipe, and a few other materials. We centred our machine around a marble, and make it travel to the end by going through tubes, going down ramps, falling and bouncing back and fourth on platforms, until it eventually reached the end and turned on our lights.

Here is the video my group made for the project:

Here is a mind map that I made at the beginning of the project, that I have added some facts to and answered my questions on.

Questioning and predicting: I think that I have been able to achieve this competency, because despite having one group member away for most of the project, we successfully built our metaphor machine in time and in a way that it actually was good.

Reasoning and analyzing: I think I achieved this competency because, my group was able to create a blueprint with all required measurements and elements, along with come up with alternative methods for building our machine.

Planning and conducting: I think I have been able to achieve the goal of this competency because, my group was able to create q good series circuit for our machine, and even get it to turn on as a function of the machine. We also created a good circuit diagram, with all the proper measurements and symbols.

Scientific communication: I think that my group achieved this well, because our group video, included multiple run throughs of the machine, along with voice overs describing everything about the machine.

Overall I think this was quite a fun project, and I am happy that we were able to have a lot of creative freedom when it came to it. I learned a lot about how circuits and electricity work, and am looking forward to the next project.