The Great War

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Recently we have been studying the First World War in humanities. Today I will be talking about the different things we learned, the milestones of the project and the final assignment. At the end of the project everyone’s pages were compiled into a final book that is at the end of this post.

The first thing we had to create was something to represent the domino effect that caused WW1 to become such a major war. This is the diagram I made. It’s the flags of the main nations involved in the war put together how the nations are on a map, it describes how the different colours mean different things, and how the initial conflict was just between Austria-Hungary and Serbia.

The second milestone of the project was to figure out the soldier we would be focusing on and get their information. I actually found a couple Canadian soldiers that I was related to that did in fact fight in the First World War. The one I chose was Harold Marsh Wilkinson, who was living in Toronto at the time he went overseas. You can read more about him later in the post where my final copy pages are displayed for my solider and topic.

The next milestone was choosing a topic that relates to the war and research it to create pages for our book. The topic I chose was conscription in the First World War. I specifically focused on conscription within Canada during the war rather than abroad. It was interesting to learn about all the controversy with the conscription laws and how they turned out in the end.

The next milestone had to do with a book study. We were all put into groups for random books, and every week we had to read a certain section of the book and complete a certain activity. The majority of the activities were just doing stuff like writing questions to ask the group I was put in.

And once this was all done, we had to do the final assignment of it, to put our topic and soldier info into final pages for our book. My pages are page 66-69. I think the topic and soldier combined really represent my understanding of the “comprehend” competency, because the entire assignment was to collect information from whatever video or written sources we could, and interpret them in a way that would be best for our book.

One of the biggest things I’ve learned from this project is how people’s ideas and beliefs have changed. At the beginning of the war, nationalism was at an all time high with people, not it is quite a minor factor in modern times. Another interesting thing was how communism rose so much across Europe at the end of the war. Also the thoughts of war, and how those. I also learned about how alliances can lead to such widespread affects, which is probably still very relevant today as we are a member of NATO. I think comparing things like these are a good representation of my knowledge of the “take historical perspectives” competency since comparing the similarities and differences between then and now allows us to see the differences and similarities between the two and adjust our perspective away from what we see as negative today, and see what it would have been like to be there at that time.

Thanks for reading my blog and the accounts of my learning in humanities for the year.