The Greatest Canadian

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I am going to be discussing the recent project in humanities. This project was about identifying the greatest Canadian since 1982, and how to establish the evidence in relation to historical significance that would back up the claim of that individual being the greatest Canadian.

We started off the project by taking some notes and coming up with some need to know questions. I won’t get too much into this, but we learned about some key dates and features of Canada and the identity of Canadians.

The next thing we did was come up with an individual we wanted to do a podcast on. For this podcast episode we had to prove they were the greatest Canadian, as you’ll see later. The criteria for the individual was that they had to be Canadian and had lived here some time after 1982. We then had to make a story spine/mountain about their life to learn about some key parts of it. My individual was Stephen Harper.

The next milestone was to do some research on our individual. This was pretty basic and I just used about 5 sources, and a couple pages from the social studies textbook we looked at in class. This helped me improve my citation skills, and will be useful in future.

Next thing we had to do was write a script. I think I did pretty good on this, but it looked very empty without my interview included in it. It went over the early life of my individual and their accomplishments, and was a slightly short but alright length.

Now it was time for an interview. I interviewed a friend of mine who goes by Ed about Stephen Harper. He had some really interesting answers to my questions. You can listen to the interview if you listen to my podcast later on in the post.

Another thing I’d like to mention is that we watched a couple episodes of CBC’s “The Greatest Canadian”. They were the episodes about Tommy Douglas and Terry Fox. These were quite interesting and gave us some insight into ways we could present our argument for why our individual was the greatest Canadian.

The next part of our project was to create our actual podcast episode about our individual. After having some problems with my mic and some background noise, I was able to make my podcast sound very good, and was able to include lots of information in it for only being about 7 minutes long. If you listen to it later

After we had completed our podcast episode and a basecamp post about it, we had to construct an email to send to our interviewee. This was fairly easy to complete. It also helped me improve on my formatting skills.

To briefly paraphrase, I believe that this project has taught me many things. From improving on basic things like formatting email and writing citations, to learning about the necessary aspects to someone being historically significant. Those being profundity, importance, relevance, quantity and the durability of their actions.

This link will take you to my basecamp post about the episode, and allow you to listen to it, as well as view a transcript for the episode, if you would prefer to read the conversion to text.