A ✨Snazzy✨ Correlation

Have you ever heard someone talking about correlation vs causation? Perhaps in the latest season of Manifest on Netflix? Well that was the topic of this project, correlation vs causation.

Driving Question

How are correlation and causation different?

Causation is when A causes B or vice versa. It could also be when factor C causes both A and B. Correlation is when there is a relationship between A and B but there doesn’t necessarily have to be causation.

Project Overview

In this project we were to create a survey and video or formal presentation that compares a correlation with no causation and a correlation that does have a logical explanation of causation between the variables. We used numbers to create graphs to show the data that we collected from our surveys. This was also a partner project where we would be collaborating on creating a single project with our partner.

Project Start Mind Map

As per usual we started the scimatics project off with a project start mind map. I put in any questions I had for the project, what I already knew about correlation vs causation, and any ideas that I had for survey questions.

At the end of this project we also added to the mind map a section about what we learned from this project.

The Project

I think that the best way to show you the bulk of our project is by the keynote presentation that we presented to the class.  The presentation included information about our survey audience, our graph results, and our definition to the driving question. Here is the link:

A survey pour toi 

Curricular Competencies 

Planning and conducting: Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to systematically and accurately collect and record data;

We found at least 3 correlations using our well crafted survey results. The survey results and correlations were displayed and explained through a keynote presentation to the class. We analyzed the graphs to confirm if there was cause for correlation because the line that automatically shows up was often misleading.

Communicating and Representing: Use mathematical vocabulary and language to contribute to mathematical discussions;

We created our presentation with helpful visual aids and well crafted written explanations. We had two main examples where we showed a correlation that we falsely thought would have causation and one that actually had correlation and causation.

Applying and Innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through individual or collaborative approaches;

We used good ethics when creating the survey questions and conducting the survey. In class I was very focused and productive. I am very pleasantly surprised with my ability to stay on task while working on this project.

So our correlations were not incredibly strong, but we were able to identify correlations and some causations in our graphs. We also found this project fun and it expanded our brain cells. I really enjoyed working with my good pal Dana and I hope to work with her again soon.

As always, Brooke.

Work, Work, Work!

Wednesday Nov 3, 2021. I did not go to school on Wednesday. Why? To go to work!

Wednesday was nation wide “Take Our Kids To Work Day”. I went to work with my mom at Pacific Blue Cross BC. I had been to my mom’s work many times before but this time I would be shadowing her for the whole day.

Not going to school didn’t mean that I could just sit around and do nothing at my moms work all day, no, I was filming like crazy. We were instructed to create a video showcasing our day at work with our expectations/review and an interview.

Without further ado, here is the video;

I would say that the best part of my day was a tie between having a nice lunch out at the hotel for the Burnaby Board of Trade awards luncheon or having some 1 on 1 time with some of my mom’s colleges and get to know them and what they do at the company.

Both this blog post and the video are quite short today but hopefully this got the point across. It is definitely not my most interesting post either but hopefully you found the video a least a little entertaining.

Thank you for watching/reading!

As always, Brooke.

Congratulations You Just Killed a Turtle

Hello to whomever is reading this 👋🏼. Tis I, Brooke. And I’m back with my second blog post for this new school year. 

People and the environment. Let’s talk about it. The driving question for this project was “How do people and the environment affect each other?” And the short answer is rather simple. Both people and the environment hold a lot of power over one another.

The product of this project is a physical letter sent to someone who can create change on a specific environmental issue. I wrote my letter about plastic bag pollution to the Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy, the Honourable George Heyman. But in order to have a letter that is worthy of being sent to such an important person, we had to do a lot of writing practice.

The letter

The topic of our letter is an environmental issue of our choice in British Columbia. I chose to research and write about plastic pollution in BC, specifically plastic bags. I researched a lot about what BC is already doing about reducing single use plastic and I came across CleanBC’s Plastics Action Plan. I think that reducing single use plastic waste is super important and that is why I chose to bring this issue up with Minister George Heyman.

• First letter draft

I only put two drafts into the slideshow because most of my drafts were just adding small details or re-wording a sentence or two. Overall I think that I could’ve done a more sophisticated job at executing the final letter but I am still proud of what I put into the mailbox.

CommonLit

A very important part of this project was CommonLit.org. We read 5 texts from CommonLit that all had something to do with the environment. We also did 2 writing lesson assignments that went along with 2 of those texts. The lessons taught us about writing explanations and using evidence with context. There were also 2 vocabulary quizzes that took place on CommonLit to help us use better vocabulary choices when writing about climate change. Overall even though I found the CommonLit assignments annoying at times, I can definitely say that they have helped me improve the way I write.

About two weeks into this project we read a CommonLit poem called “Song For The Turtles”. We were then asked to go outside and write our own poem about our environment. Lots of people wrote their poems about the destruction of the environment but I chose to write mine about what I observed while sitting among the sunflowers in the school garden. Here is my poem;

Sitting Among The Sunflowers 

Sitting among the sunflowers
Their tall stalks jutting up from the earth beneath
Reaching towards the sun with their flowers of gold

Bees swiftly fly to and fro
Working hard for their hive
Ants climbing up the stalks
On a mission they have yet to complete

A soft breeze arrives and the garden comes alive
The leaves shiver and sway
But the strength of the stalks never stray
Sitting among the sunflowers

Ok so admit I’m no Edgar Allan Poe, but I think that writing the poems was a great  exercise in observing our environment.

CommonLit Connections

The CommonLit connections was one of the final activities in this project. We learned about identifying the theme of a text, and then had to identify the theme of our letter and the theme of one of the CommonLit texts that we read. We then wrote a multi-paragraph response connecting our letter with one of the texts, I chose to use a story called “He-y Come on Ou-t”. The common theme that I came up with for the two texts was “Simple actions can have devastating consequences on the environment.”

My CommonLit connection

What have I learned?

I can say with confidence that my writing improved greatly throughout this project. I have come to be more aware of the devastating damage that climate change is doing to our planet. I hope that my letter can help create change in BC with the help of our government.

Thanks for reading!

As always, Brooke.

IT’S THE EXPONENT APOCALYPSE

HellooOOooOooOOOOoooOOO and welcome back to another year of PLP blog posts. As you may have guessed, we just finished our first project in Scimatics 9. I found this project to be similar to the game about tectonic plates that we did in grade 8. The end result of this project was to be fun game that used exponent laws. And without further ado, I shall take you through the ins and outs of the creation of my partner and I’s game, the EXPONENT APOCALYPSE.

Starting off

As per any usual scimatics project, this project started with a project start mind map. The project start mind maps are a way to gather all of your knowledge and questions before starting the new project. I tried to write down all of the ways that math is included in games and what I already knew about exponents.

The project

We launched this project with a practise in creating game rules. As a group we were asked to create games that used a certain number of dice and involved addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, in the rules. It was basically a toned down version of the final game that we would be making.

A huge part of this project was incorporating exponent laws into our games. And in order for that to happen we had to first learn about what exponents were and what laws they followed. We did a multitude of Kahoot! quizzes and workbook pages to really start to understand how exponents function.

Throughout the whole project we were thinking about what we wanted our game to be. The rules, the points system, the objectives, even the game pieces. We made many drafts and had our friends test out our game constantly to see if there were any gameplay issues. Weeks later and we had our final game ready for game day. We call it “Exponent Apocalypse”, a mashup between Zombies and math. The goal is to get to the “Lab” at them end of the game board before the other player. You move up spaces by correctly answering the prompts on the cards flipped in front of you. Here, it makes more sense if you read the game rules; Exponent Apocalypse

Core Competencies 

Reasoning and Analyzing: Use logic and patterns to solve puzzles and play games

The points system in our game is quite simple, answer a question correctly and you get to move up one space. We wanted to make sure that we didn’t make it super hard or complicated to win because it’s more fun when you’re not confused half the time.

Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms

This competency mainly focuses on the game rules themselves, if they are clear, complete, interesting, and personalized. Having an obvious theme to the game helped make the game more interesting to play because it gave it a bit of personality. We were going to add in a 5th exponent law to the game but we thought that that may get to complicated for people to remember while playing. Looking back we probably could’ve added another law without jeopardizing the simplicity of the game.

Applying and Innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through individual or collaborative approaches

This year I am trying to stay more on track in class. I found that having a good partner like Faith really helped me to use my class time efficiently. Faith and I made an excellent team because our different skills worked alongside each other very smoothly.

Thank god this post is almost done

Well overall I’d say that this project was a success. I learned a lot about exponents and continued to learn about what makes a great game. Hopefully the rest of the projects this year go as smoothly as this one did.

Thanks for reading!

As Always, Brooke.

The Body vs Bacteria

Hello everybody 👋🏼

Tis’ me, Brooke.

It’s almost summer! I am writing this with 3-ish days left of school and let me tell you, this year has flown by. But this post is not about that.

Driving question

How do cells and diseases interact?

The truth is, different cells will react differently to different diseases. One type of cell has a different job than another type of cell and each would have different jobs when it comes dealing with a disease. In my comic, you will see that some cells are battling head on with the disease and others have jobs that work in the background.

The Project

Our last project for scimatics this year was called “Comic cells”. Basically we each had to make a comic about some sort of cellular process. And as per usual with science projects like this, we started off with a mind map.

I’m really sorry that the photo is so blurry. And if I’m being honest, I’m not incredibly proud of this mind map. I feel like I definitely could’ve added more especially to the questions section.

I came into this project not knowing much about cells, so building knowledge was a very important part of this project. Khan Academy was helpful for general cell knowledge but we also had to do our own independent research for our comics. I decided that I wanted to make my comic about how the body reacts to a wound. And, just for added flavour, tetanus would also enter the wound.

Before we jumped into creating the actual comic, we made a rough draft storyboard. Let me say that again before showing you, it is a ROUGH DRAFT storyboard.

And the moment you hopefully have been waiting for, here is my final comic;

p.s. I couldn’t get it in here as a PDF because the file was too big so instead it is an image metaslider.

Core competencies 

Questioning and predicting

This competency is usually hard for me because it includes using class time efficiently and I am a person who gets distracted easily. But in this project I feel that I did the best I’ve ever done in this competency. I guess that shows lots of improvement compared to the beginning of the year.

Scientific communication 

I really like using interesting vocabulary so this project was a great way for me to use and extend this skill. Learning and using new words is something that I have done a lot of this year and I think it’s pretty cool that I know the pronunciation and meaning of ✨immunoglobulin✨.

Evaluating 

I did SO much individual research to insure that my comic was as accurate as it could be. I think that this project might have actually sparked my interest in biology. Trying to make the comic accurate  without making it overwhelming was something that I was constantly thinking about but I think that I did a pretty good job at.

Well thank you for reading my post and I hope you enjoyed learning a bit about what you body does at a cellular level. Have a happy summer!

As always, Brooke.

The Ultimate Bedroom Setup Noº3

Hi there 👋🏼

Welcome back to another scimatics blog post.

Fair warning, I am writing this post extremely tired.

Project description

In this scimatics project we worked in a small group to create 3D objects. We had to calculate the surface area and volume of the object we created and then put together a presentation for the class.

Driving question 

How can I design a bed to optimize its volume?

The main contributor of a bed’s volume is it’s mattress. A thick and fluffy mattress makes for added comfort and volume.

The project itself 

My group decided that we wanted to make a three part bedroom set. The set consisted of a bedside table, a bookshelf, and a bed. The object I was going to create was the bed. Before we started creating, we had to decide whether we would be designing the object for maximum surface area or maximum volume, I chose maximum surface area (but that didn’t work out for me in the end).

We would be using a 3D design website called Tinkercad.com  to create the object. At first, I found it difficult to understand the controls but after completing lots of the Tinkercad  tutorials I finally started to get it. I made a few sketches on procreate to help guide me with what the measurements of my bed should be.

My bed ended up looking like;

I also recorded a video where I scroll around to all sides of the bed. Just in case you were curious about what it looks like to use Tinkercad.

As I said in the project description, we needed to create a presentation about our 3D models to show the class. My original plan was to record us giving our presentation but I was so nervous that I forgot ☹️. So I made my group do a screen recording with voiceover so that I could still show y’all our presentation. Here it is;

The curricular competencies 

Applying and innovating: Contribute to self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches.

This competency was both harder and easier to achieve when working in a group with your best friends. On one hand we really worked well together and had no problem helping each other out. On the other hand I think that we could’ve done better at trying to keep each other on topic.

Reasoning and analyzing: Model mathematics in contextualized experiences. 

My model consisted of 11 basic 3D shapes and of those were 3 kinds; rectangular prisms, triangular prism , and cylinders. Sure my model wasn’t the most complicated but I made the design clean and it matched the other models in my group. I had originally intended the bed to have maximum surface area but later realized that the bed would end up having maximum volume if I designed it as I had planned.

Communicating and representing: Explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions.

The calculations I made for my model were accurately measured and calculated. My milestone 3 shows the calculations which you can also see in the YouTube video presentation.

Milestone 3 calculations

In conclusion, it was really fun working with my friends in a group project. I enjoyed learning how to use Tinkercad and I am proud of how I was able to create the model. I definitely feel like my math skills in calculating surface area and volume have improved a TON during the project.

Here are my group members posts on this project

Dana – The Ultimate Bedroom Set Up Noº1

Makenna – The Ultimate Bedroom Set Up Noº2

Thanks for reading!

As always, Brooke.

IT’S ALL A SIMULATION!!! 🤯

Howdy there 👋🏼

We are back in scimatics with another project, “Chemistry coding”.

The driving question 

How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory?

Kinetic molecular theory (aka KMT) and atomic theory are two different theories that we pull from when describing why matter does what it does. The states of matter (solid, liquid, gas, and plasma) occur because of how much kinetic energy the matter has in it. Heat adds kinetic energy and the cold takes away kinetic energy. An easy example of KMT is how water behaves in its three states; ice doesn’t have a lot of kinetic energy and is very cold and solid, liquid water has more kinetic energy than ice and therefore is warmer than ice, and water vapour is hot, a gas, and has lots of kinetic energy.

Atomic theory can be a bit complicated but I will try to keep this short. Everything is made up of atoms. Atoms consist of electrons, protons, and neutrons, and certain numbers of each make the atom hold the properties of a certain substance. There have been many different models of the atom throughout the years. But the current understanding of the atom is that there is a nucleus in the centre of an atom that contains the protons and neutrons and electrons exist outside of the nucleus. Different atoms join together to make molecules and a mixture of atoms and molecules can be found in a compound substance.

Now I know that that was really long and there is so much stuff that I didn’t talk about but I’m going to stop myself. Hopefully you can see that I learned a lot about atomic theory and KMT because at the beginning of this project I knew next to nothing about either of them.
Here is my project start mind map;

The project

In this project we created an interactive matter simulator or game which models kinetic molecular theory and atomic theories. The simulator/game was created using a coding platform called Scratch. I have had previous experience using block coding so that gave me an advantage with this project (It also helped my friends out when they needed help with the coding). We learned about historical models of the atom and had to create an image of a substance atom/molecule of our choice. This was our milestone 2 for this project and here is mine:

The actual coding was a huge part of this project too and here are some screenshots of what my coding looked like behind the scenes;

Curricular competencies

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a specific topic or problem of personal interest.

This competency is sometimes very hard for me to extend at. I find myself getting easily distracted after I have been working on one thing for an extended amount of time (aka all the time I spent block coding the simulator).

Scientific communication: Communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using language, representations, and digital technologies.

The Bohr and Dalton particle models that were in my simulator are a good way of showing that I can represent things like particle motion in a clear and understandable way.

Reasoning and analyzing: Use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games.

I had to try a lot of different code scripts (It took a lot of problem solving and troubleshooting) before finding the one that worked. But in the end I was very proud of how smoothly my simulator ran all thanks to the coding I did behind the scenes.

In conclusion (basically a summary of this post)

I learned a lot about matter, kinetic molecular theory, atomic theories, and coding. Coding was hard and painstaking at times but I am very proud of my final project. I showed great promise in the curricular competencies and can’t wait to extend my skills even further next time.

P.s. Here is the final simulator that I made: The simulator 

The French and First Nations and British, Oh my!

What did European settlement mean for all the people involved? Well how bout I show you a video that will help answer that question.

As you may have guessed, I created that video along with my partner in this project. (Go check out Gwen’s blog here) The video was made using keynote magic move, then exported to YouTube. We made a QR code to out on the infographic that takes you to this video.

Just a quick overview of the project, We learned about European settlement in New France, the fur trade, daily life in early Canadian colonies, First Nations relations, and more things of that sort. We put three facts, one each of the British, French, and First Nations, into an infographic with an image to go along with each fact. We came up with a short thesis to answer the driving question using the three facts as supporting evidence.

Another part of the infographic was a statement on continuity and change between the time of the colonization of New France to Present day. We did practice on identifying continuity and change and at first I wasn’t very good at it but I think I’ve got the hang of it now. The general theme of our infographic was the power of human greed and we tried to make that the focus of the continuity and change statement.

Overall I thought that this project was fun and I really enjoyed working with my partner.

Here are the sources that we used for the information in the infographic;

Worlds Collide Episode 1, CBC, 2017

Coates, Sarah, James Miles, Janice Moase. Nelson Socials 8. Nelson Education, 2019.

HBC Heritage – Tales from the Bay

As always, Brooke.

Ah, the golden age of exploration.

Arrrgghh matey! Welcome back to my blog.

Before spring break, we finished another project. This project was all about the age of exploration. Our driving question was “What was the impact of global exploration?” And the answer to that question is very important so I’m just gonna dive right in.

Without global exploration, North America would’ve never been uncovered by the Europeans. Foods like potatoes would’ve never become a staple in the quintessential European diet without the Columbia exchange taking place between the Americas and Europe. 

The final product of this project was an informative video on the age of exploration, made with an app called AR maker. If you didn’t know, AR stands for augmented reality, similar to VR which is virtual reality. The video would follow a story that was guided by a script written with the technique called the “story spine”. I think that I have talked about story spine before but here is an example for a quick overview.

We learned a lot about analyzing cause and consequence, the premise of which goes really well with the story spine. You start with the underlying cause, then the immediate cause, the event, the immediate consequence, and finally the long term consequence. We did a lot of work with identifying cause and consequence of events and then we applied our knowledge to what we had learned about the age of exploration.

We created objects to put into the augmented reality that would help us tell our stories. I created my objects in procreate and then made the background transparent in keynote. In the end, AR maker was sometimes very frustrating to use but I ended up persisting and figuring out the ins and outs of the app. Seeing everything of mine come together in AR showed that I am an empowered learner that can use technology to appropriately and effectively construct my knowledge. Here is the final video that I uploaded to YouTube;

This project was very short and so is this blog post but I hope that you enjoyed learning about what I learned. Thank you so much for reading!

As always, Brooke.

Destination Imagination; In theory.

Have you heard of Destination Imagination?

Destination Imagination (or just DI) is an international competition that our school competes in. I am now going to direct you to the DI website because I think that they do a great job explaining what DI is all about. The Destination Imagination website is here. (I really suggest that you go to the website before reading further.)

I got the opportunity to be on one of the scientific challenge teams. The scientific challenge this year was called “In Theory”. You had to break or bend a scientific law using technical methods and create a documentary film about it. My group spent AGES trying to decide on a scientific law to bend. It was a tad bit stressful seeing as the scientific law is the most important part of out solution to the challenge. We ended up figuring out that we could bend the law of buoyancy by creating an electromagnet out of an iron bolt and some batteries. (Huge shoutout to my teammate Nolan for heading up the scientific part of this challenge!) Here is a video of the anti-buoyancy machine;

We also had to come up with a story that our documentary would follow. The story had to include a witness who sees and reacts to the law being bent/broken and an expert who has great knowledge of the scientific law itself. Again we had many ideas and a very hard time deciding on a plot for our story, it was a painful process.

Usually DI tournaments would start in-person at a regional level but with COVID-19 being a thing, the process changed to just handing in a video to be judged at the national level.

After many, many, MANY weeks of working on our challenge solution, it came to an end. Here is the final video;

We also made a Q&A video to go along with our challenge solution that explains some things that you may not have picked up in the final video;

One of my teammates also made this blooper video that I LOVE because it reminds me of how much fun we had during DI.

Overall, DI taught me leadership, teamwork, persistence, creativity, and so much more! I am really excited to see how I face future DI challenges in the years ahead of me. I want to say a huge thank you to my team members, Nolan, Jocelyn, Santiago, and Carter, without whom none of this would’ve been possible.

See you next year Destination imagination 👋🏼!

As always, Brooke.