Destination Procrastination

A blog for kids who can’t read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too

1

My poetry

For this term we spent time learning about poetry. One thing about poetry, I hate to admit, but I have a really hard time with it. It’s hard for me for many reasons, the most predominant one is that I’m severely Dyslexic and I can’t actually comprehend rhymes and rhyme schemes while reading. But, regardless of the difficulty, I gave it my all and I think I did a very reasonable job considering that for me, writing poetry is like playing chess, underwater, while inverted, and not understanding the rules…a handicap a step or two beyond not just disliking the process. The biggest revelation for me, was that not all poems need to rhyme!

Wow! For someone who doesn’t recognize rhymes, this was an amazing concept, and it allowed me to be able to think about poetry in an entirely different way.

So, with that said, here are some of the poetic terms I took notes on during the term:

Rhyme scheme: A pattern of rhymes at the end of each line in a poem or song. It is described with a letter like a a b b, or a b a b.

Simile: Comparison between two things, commonly used in poetry to compare a living thing and and inanimate thing.

Cliche: Overly used and common phrase “clouds are like pillows”

Metaphor: A direct comparison, similar to a simile but doesn’t use the words “like or as”

Haiku: 3 lined poem that has 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second and 5 in the third. Traditionally they are more nature based. Third line has an unusual thing.

Juxtaposition: Two different ideas that are seen or put close together not closely related, that can give an contrasting effect.

Found poems: A poem made by taking a text and deleting or changing words from it to make a poem.

Imagery: The sentence will ignite the reader’s five senses by putting an image in their head and describing as if the reader where there.

Mood: The element that puts feelings into readers.

Repetition: Repeating an idea or similar words to emphasize on a thought or sentence.

Alliteration: Sentence that every word starts with the same consonant.

Assonance: Sentence that every word starts with the same vowel.

Onomatopoeia: Words that sound like what they mean.

Euphony: A harmonious combination of words

Cacophony: A harsh or inharmonious combination of words.

My favourite poem is In Flanders Fields by Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae. He was a Canadian physician during World War I. He worked on the front lines and saw patients every day, this poem was a reflection and remembrance on the honor and sacrifice of the men who gave their lives in service of freedom, the freedom we live within today.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead: Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: and now we lie
In Flanders fields!

Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

Here is a link to my poetry book containing all the poems I struggled to write during this term. I hope you like them and look forward to seeing your replies and responses to them.

https://read.bookcreator.com/XypZmyN0GFQlLploL6SCfAxcC2D3/KJAA5k2nTTKUVZFIm1Q2-Q

calebe • March 9, 2018

Comments

1. Amber April 12, 2018 - 4:28 am Reply

These poems are amazing, Caleb! Your sense of pattern & ability to really make the reader feel like they are there, hearing the whizzing of the fishing line as you stand at waters edge and smelling the burning bleach in their nose as they lay in the bunk so many others have laid before. These are not the words and cadence of a person with a disability, they are beautiful poems written by a deeply creative young man. I hope you post more!