Back in the Middle Ages…

This project was a humanities project about the Middle Ages and it was a pretty short one. We started this project by reading a book called The Book of The Lion. 

The book was a little bit of a slow one—most people that were reading it agreed with that. Although it was slightly boring it was only about 400 pages long so it didn’t take a long time to read it. It was about a boy named Edmund who became a squire in the Middle Ages. After the book ended all we had to do was discuss themes and then we were basically done with The Book of the Lion. Although the book was a little bit slow, I thought this part of the project was pretty engaging. The next thing that we did was a character letter where we pretended to be somebody from the middle ages writing a letter to somebody else and it was very interesting because you could really become the person that you were pretending to be. I think that this help me understand fully what it would be like to live back then. The last part of this project was a presentation about one aspect of life back in the Middle Ages compared to today, which we had to research and then present. We did this in partners and my partner was Nya. (This is her blog: Nya’s Blog) The two things that we researched were astrology and handheld weapons/combat strategies. I think that this was good practice for research because it wasn’t very difficult. One thing that I learned that was pretty interesting about combat strategies was in the middle ages a strategy that they had was to go on a hill near the city and just shoot arrows in the sky and hopefully hit people. They later got rid of this strategy because it was pretty ineffective and wasted a lot of good arrows as you might be able to imagine. For the presentation I think that I was a little bit nervous and I should’ve done a little bit more planning. Overall I think this project was very interesting because it help me understand what life was like back in the Middle Ages. In particular and makes you think about the fact that peoples lives were much more expendable. And on the topic of comparing life now too fast then it’s interesting to think about how they would’ve dealt with the Black Plague because now we are dealing with the coronavirus but today we have a better understanding of how disease is spread and how to prevent them from being spread so it is less concerning than it would’ve been back in the middle ages. I think that it was helpful to learn about life in the Middle Ages compared to life now and it helps me appreciate what life is like today.

Star Wars + Lasers

This project was probably the most fun project that we’ve done so far to me. As you can tell, this project is about Star Wars and lasers. Well not completely… we learned about triangles, and the Pythagorean theorem, and hypotenuse. That was the “learning part,” and it was pretty easy as long as I payed attention to what we were leaning. In total this project took about a month and a half. What we had to show for our learning in this project was a model of a machine from Star Wars. That’s how it’s related to Star Wars, but the lasers come in when we had to make a right triangle using a laser and mirrors. This proved to be more difficult than it sounded because we had to put the laser and two mirrors in the exact right spot at the exact right angle. We built a TIE fighter which was probably not a good idea…

That’s a photo of a TIE fighter, and as you can see the middle part has to be supported by the thin wings on the side. That proved to be a very tough obstacle but we managed to work through that and we made it work and now here’s the final product:

I think that it came out really good. The reason we did this project and built the ships was for our winter exhibition. The winter exhibition is a show of our work for the last 2-3 months and the theme is Star Wars. We have other projects with Star Wars themes that we will also be presenting. We’re presenting for anyone that wants to come! I think that this is probably the most fun project we’ve done so far this year because of the fact that we got to build a TIE fighter and model it from Star Wars!

Impulsivity in Oregon

Well first things first, what is impulsivity? Impulsivity is when you do something before you think about what you’re doing. For example, if you get mad at a video game and punch your computer and break it, that’s an impulse. Then later, you often regret doing it. In Oregon I controlled my impulsivity almost all the time. I did this by always thinking before saying and or doing anything. If I made enemies on this trip it would not be fun… that’s why I made sure I thought about what I was about to do. I figured that as long as I think about what I’m saying everything would be fine. This worked out just as I thought it would, and Oregon was really fun because of it. A few times I got a little angry though but not to the point of me doing anything bad, it was only in my head, which is exactly what controlling impulsiveness is. On the Oregon trip almost nobody couldn’t control their impulses, which made for a really good time. Over the whole time we made a book that had everything we did in it

Contine reading

Influence of media

What we see and hear effects us greatly. Media is super influential nowadays, but it’s getting hard to know what we should let influence us. Things we see or read effects us in many different ways and people have different ways to attempt to deliver the effects. For example, pathos, ethos and logos. Pathos ethos and logos are different strategies of advertising meant to deliver a message through different strategies.
Using these strategies can change our mind on something really fast. Recently though there has been more and more fake news over the years so being easily convinced by anything you read is not good.
More often these days you have to make sure you are reading a reliable source because you could be reading something that is fake. Some people believe it and then they tell their friends that it’s real and then it spreads that it’s real and not fake, so you have to be really careful. People now are more gullible in a way and will fall for fake news very easily. Now that media such a big part of our lives if we read, and believe fake news it will influence us in ways that aren’t good because it’s not real. Off of that subject though, for our project we got the chance to make advertisements, which was super cool. We even got to interview two companies and show them the ads we made for them using the information they gave us, which felt super professional. The first company was a local company called The Raven. They are a restaurant/bar that make delicious food, which is why it was so cool that we got to interview them because they are well known and I enjoy eat there often. Here is an ad that we made for them:

The second company we interviewed and made an advertisement for was the Hatfield Marine Visitor Centre. We visited it when we went to Oregon. Here is an advertisement I made for them:

Overall I had a lot of fun in this project because we really got immersed in the project. I think the fact that we got to actually advertise for a company that we got to interview was super cool and I felt really lucky to be able to do that.

Maker project: drawing (empowerment)

I feel as if technology is a big part of society and it’s super useful. For our last project in maker we did a project on drawing we learned 6 different strategies on ways to draw. The first one was word art. I wasn’t the biggest fan of it. I found it a little boring but I think if I tried a little harder it would’ve been better and more fun. The second one I also found it a little boring but not quite as much. It was sketch notes. Sketch notes are where you, well, make notes that are sketched. The third one though was much more fun this was our portrait. For my portrait I drew myself snowboarding and surfing. It was super fun and I really enjoyed doing it.

The next one was also fun… this was our still life drawing. For the drawing we drew fruits which was hard, but fun.

Our last one wasn’t quite as fun but not too bad. It was our logo design. We made our own companies and then we drew a logo for it. I think that I felt “empowered” from this because really learned the capabilities of my iPad. One of the most cool ones was the trace tool. The trace tool is where you could trace over a picture on another layer, and then you can delete the layer with the photo and then you only have your drawing. This is super cool because you can’t do this on normal paper. I think that we should be very thankful for the technology that we have nowadays because it helps with a lot of things, not just drawing.