Back in the Middle Ages…

This project was a humanities project about the Middle Ages and it was a pretty short one. We started this project by reading a book called The Book of The Lion. 

The book was a little bit of a slow one—most people that were reading it agreed with that. Although it was slightly boring it was only about 400 pages long so it didn’t take a long time to read it. It was about a boy named Edmund who became a squire in the Middle Ages. After the book ended all we had to do was discuss themes and then we were basically done with The Book of the Lion. Although the book was a little bit slow, I thought this part of the project was pretty engaging.

The next thing that we did was a character letter where we pretended to be somebody from the middle ages writing a letter to somebody else and it was very interesting because you could really become the person that you were pretending to be. I think that this help me understand fully what it would be like to live back then.

The last part of this project was a presentation about one aspect of life back in the Middle Ages compared to today, which we had to research and then present. We did this in partners and my partner was Nya. (This is her blog: Nya’s Blog) The two things that we researched were astrology and handheld weapons/combat strategies. I think that this was good practice for research because it wasn’t very difficult. One thing that I learned that was pretty interesting about combat strategies was in the middle ages a strategy that they had was to go on a hill near the city and just shoot arrows in the sky and hopefully hit people. They later got rid of this strategy because it was pretty ineffective and wasted a lot of good arrows as you might be able to imagine. For the presentation I think that I was a little bit nervous and I should’ve done a little bit more planning.

Overall I think this project was very interesting because it help me understand what life was like back in the Middle Ages. In particular and makes you think about the fact that peoples lives were much more expendable. And on the topic of comparing life now too fast then it’s interesting to think about how they would’ve dealt with the Black Plague because now we are dealing with the coronavirus but today we have a better understanding of how disease is spread and how to prevent them from being spread so it is less concerning than it would’ve been back in the Middle Ages. I think that it was helpful to learn about life in the Middle Ages compared to life now and it helps me appreciate what life is like today.