Comic Cells blog post (last one of the school year)

Greetings All I’m back with probably the greatest blog post ever (not really). This project is my last blog post of grade 8 (yay) so this was a scimatics project and it was fun like really fun we made a comic so like already one of the best projects. Second only to the scratch coding that was probably my favourite. Anyways this project was about cells like red blood cells and such,and how they interact with other things in the body. So we had a choice we could pick photosynthesis, disease interaction, and cellular interaction. I chose diseases but let me explain a little bit about the other two. (Quick disclaimer this may come as a big surprise but I’m NOT a medical expert (gasp) I know I know but some facts may not be 100% accurate and such sooo yeah also if you experience any symptoms see a doctor) Ok on to other stuff

Photosynthesis is when plant absorb sunlight and other things like water and turn it into energy. It is also common knowledge that plants produce oxygen they do this when they have leftover food (solar energy and nutrients from the earth) and it turns into a gas call carbon Dioxide (air) it’s more complicated then that but all leave it there.

Cellular interaction sound pretty straight forward how cells interact with each other like red blood cells carry oxygen and hemoglobins and what not. I think it’s complicated so I won’t explain to much but basics. So here we go. Cellular interaction refers to the direct interaction between cells on the surface that play a crucial role in development and the function of multicellular organisms these interactions allow the cells to communicate with each other and the rest of the body.

OK that was a lot but now onto my topic DISEASES INTERACTION!!!! (I have know idea why I’m yelling) ok so disease interaction meaning how diseases interact with other diseases and each other and cells and stuff in the human body. So my disease was Malaria so some stuff i say will be diseases in general and some stuff will be Malaria specific. So lets start with where it started it when a military doctor by the name of: Alphonse Laveran was in a military hospital in 1880 discovered the parasite in Algeria More info here👉 link 

So it begins when a female mosquito bites a already infected person (also how it spreads) so the plasmodium (which like the first stage) develops in the mosquito and then when the mosquito bite a different person the plasmodium becomes sporozoite and is injected into the human blood stream, where it move quickly (30 minutes) to the liver and invades liver cells and here after a 7-10 day period the sporozoite erupts and turns into merozoites (Malaria parasites) and those merozoites cause the liver cell to rupture releasing them. Then the merozoites attack the Red blood cells and invade them and self replicate inside the red blood cells then the red blood cells would rupture and at this point you are experiencing symptoms of Malaria example: high fever,chill aches sweating etc. So the merozoites kept on replicating and replicating until there’s a lot of them. But don’t worry your body has a defensive system in bone marrow (which is like inner bone layer) Neutrophils which is a type of white blood cells are being mass produced as a direct response to merozoites (this right here is disease interaction) so these Neutrophils are deployed into the blood stream and they destroy merozoites and infected red blood cells.

Wow that was a lot but were not done yet because its time for everyone’s favourite part Curricular Competencies (yay)

So Curricular competency #1 was Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

It’s a little different this time however it means pretty much the same thing but it’s specific to this project it says class time is used for learning and creating a comic book story abut 1 of the 3 topics. So I showed this in All of the milestones really I achieved a proficient understanding of this skill which shows in the other 2 competency’s. Where I think I really showed this is in Milestone 5 because I put a ton of work into it and it turned out exactly how I wanted it to Milestone 5 was also finished comic which you will see later.

Curricular Competency #2 was scientific communication communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies

meaning how well can I communicate my knowledge through the comic book. 

I achieved a extending mark on this Competency because I worked hard I best showed this on the comic book again because I had lots of accurate information on my comic. 

Curricular Competency #3 was Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence. Meaning how can I integrate a virus characters and have them interact in a scientific way and have a logical outcome/end to the story I achieved the extending mark on this one because I had my virus characters interact with the blood cells and they integrated very nicely. 

So now onto the Milestones.

Milestone 1 was a project start mind map 

Milestone 2 was a Disease Wanted poster. So we chose a disease from the 1400-1600 I chose Small Pox

Milestone 3 was a khan academy quiz about cells 

Milestone 4 was a storyboard outline of what our final comic would look like all show a few of the scenes 

Milestone 5 was the final comic we used comic life for this which made it easier because we had cool fonts and convenient box’s for us to put our images in. 

One other thing we did in this project to start was watch Osmosis Jones which premiered in 2001 and is about a white blood cell and a cold pill fighting a virus called Thrax AKA Big Daddy Thrax (not joking thats one of his names) learn more ————> here

So thats it people the final blog post of grade 8 and scimatics 8 but never fear I shall be back next school year with more posts 

Goodbye and don’t forget that School is over I like noodles and Carter=blog 

P.S this is my longest blog post ever at 10,96 (not counting the number or these words)

(Stay tuned for a “I’m bored post maybe if I feel bored”)