Chemistry Stories

Hello!!!! Welcome back to another scimatics post in this project we made a animation about chemistry. What about chemistry you ask? Well covalent and ionic bonds. What are those well let me explain. The Driving Question for this project was: How do the electron arrangements of atome determine the chemical and physical properties of elements and compounds. Now I believe the answer depends on how many neutrons/protons are in the atoms

Covalent bonds. Covalent bonds is when to atoms share electrons to create a bond. This sharing is known as covalent bonding. 

Ionic bonding is a little bit different as it involves one atom giving another atom directly. Different to when covalent boding occurs. As only on atom gives away an electron. They do this to have a balanced valence shell. 

Onto the actual project. We had to make two separate animations. One for covalent and one for ionic. Here is a success criteria. 

So there is the criteria. 

Circular Competencies time

Competency number 1: Communicating: Formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon this was the accomplished criteria. I think I am a developing stage for this project. Because I don’t think my information is 100% correct and the drawing themselves could definitely be improved. For next time I will try to take my time with the drawings and not rush them so much. 

Competency number 2: Processing and Analyzing: Construct, analyze and interpret models and/or diagrams. This was the competency for our animation I feel like I’m at a developing on this as well, as my animation was ok butI missed some key points, and could have added more detail. 

Competency number 3: Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. This was the competency for paying attention and focusing in class. I would say I’m at an accomplished level for this as my class time was used effectively. But I was still distracted, and I must continue to progress at not being distracted. 

Next let’s move onto the steps for this project 

To kick off this project as we normally do, we made a project start mind map plus my project end mind map. Here they are.

Then we did an experiment using Zinc and hydrochloric acid with a little fire. We made bubbles and air pops. But, before we could do this experiment we had to make an animation about it, plus all the safety tips. Here is a video of the experiment.

Next we moved onto making a storyboard for our animation. Here is mine

And finally we made our animation (click the link below I promise it works it just doesn’t glow)

IMG_2457.mov

And Boom, my beautiful animation is complete. And so is this blog post till next time. 

Bye Bye 

Carter=BLœg