Case For a Nation and the Crimean War

Hello welcome back to another blog post today we are talking about nationalism and what it means. Our topic that I chose was The Crimean War of 1853 in which Russia went to war against Great Britain, France, Ottoman Empire/ Turkey, Piedmont-Sardinia/ Italian Republic. A main cause of this war was the religious conflict between the Catholics and the Russian Orthodox’s. The Driving Question for this project was: How can an understanding of nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today?” I will answer this at the bottom of the post. So to start this project we made a very fun video about Canadian stereotypes using the Tik Tok sound “Ayo Canadian Check” our group for this video creation was Fraser and Mickey I was the only one actually in the video. Here is the video. 

The final product of this was a image that we made around our topic you make 3 images and you and your group each pick one, then it was turned into a instagram post on this account 

Historical Perspective 2022 

So you’ve also seen our images now but here are the original 3 that I made you had to have one “drawn on image” one quote and one “other” in which you could chose what you made it.  

Our group for the Crimean War was Ewan, Noah, Luca, and me (links to there blogs are there names).  

Keystone Understandings: 

Keystone #1: How are nationalism and identity connected?

The assignments for this keystone were: Canadian Check, Current Events Presentation, and Nationalism Jigsaw. 

I already told you about the Canadian Video. But the current events presentation was a 5 minute presentation to 3 people about a current event. I did mine on the Russia Ukraine War. And finally the nationalism jigsaw which we did at the start of project, there were stations that you go to about different topics on nationalism and you were to fill out a chart. Here is mine 

For this competency I would put myself at an extending because I think my current events presentation showed a sophisticated level of my thinking. Our Canadian Check video was funny and had most of the typical stereotypes. For the nationalism jigsaw I would say that it was very good although we could have added more to the “extra details” section. 

Keystone #2: How did nationalism change BNA? (British North America)

First your probably wondering what BNA is well BNA stands for British North America when the British had control over the entirety of Eastern Canada call it BNA. For this Keystone we did Confederation Simulation, 8th fire video response (which we haven’t actually done yet as of writing this), Image Curation and Critiques. The Confederation Simulation was a simulation about Canadian Confederation. You were one of 6 groups, the groups were: Canada East, Canada West, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and PEI (Prince Edward Island) you were to create a document about what your colony needed to join the confederacy (Canada) my group was Canada East here is an image of the things we required before joining confederation, also images of our Final proposal and whether or not we signed to join. The people in my group for this were Teva, Ben.T, and Mickey. (Names are links I keep saying this because linked words are not blue on my blog I’m not sure why.) 

Overall for this Keystone I would that I was extending because out Confederation Simulation was very insightful and we had lots of important things on there as you can see the most important one to us was the survival of the french language as we did not want the French culture and heritage to be buried under government policies and regulations.  

Keystone #3: How can I write to support an opinion?

These are the assignments completed in this Keystone: Individual Opinion Write Up, Image Curation and Peer Presentations. The Individual Opinion Write Up was a paragraph assignment on our opinion on our event, mine of course was the Crimean War so here is my paragraph:

The Image Curation and Peer Presentations. was presenting our images in a keynote here is all of our images in a keynote. 

Also here is the link to the instagram where are photos are. For this Keystone I would put myself at a accomplished for this as my opinion piece was good but our presentation definitely could have gone smoother and we were not as prepared as we should have been.  

Now overall this project was very fun and I enjoyed learning about Canadian History and the forming of Canada. If I were to do this project again I would focus more on the presentation that we had to do and try and make it more smooth and have all of our facts in order. For this project I would put myself at an Extending. 

Now the answer to the Driving Question which to remind you is: “How can an understanding of nationalism in the past, help us make sense of today?” I would say the answer is Understanding nationalism is vital for the future because we are more doomed to repeat history if we forget about it, we will forget the good that happened and the bad. With that being said though we shouldn’t admire the bad stuff that happened just acknowledge it, know what caused it and why it was wrong. So you won’t repeat the same mistakes. 

Thanks for reading this blog. Enjoy your life 

ç宆Er=bLøg 😉 

One Response

1. maxl says:

Great work my man