Mitosis Sounds Like Meiosis

Hello all and welcome back. We have finished yet another project involving mitosis and meiosis for this project we were tasked with building 3D models is Tinkercad about the stages of mitosis and meiosis then combine that into a video with some real photos we took of mitosis cells in garlic roots and also lifting similarities and differences between the two. The driving question was How is the reproduction of cells essential to the survival of organisms? The answer will come in due time but now for a overview of the steps to the final project. 

The first milestone was of course the project start mind map which I will display below.

Next was practice with tinkercad using the tutorials to get better at it. Here are the two practice models I made 

Milestone 3 was a khan academy quiz 

Milestone 4 was split into 2 parts. Part one was mitosis models and part 2 was meiosis models. 

Milestone 5 was the completed video which is shown down below

Next we move onto the Curricular Competences 

#1 Planning and Conducting this competency was used to judge how well our garlic roots went and if we could identify mitosis happening. I should explain the fact that at the start of the project we each planted a garlic bulb in a cup of soil so that we had some roots to examine. This competency went fairly well and me and my group mate Hannah were able to identify several stages of mitosis. Here are the images for those 

Somethings that did not go well is we had too much root in our first attempts and had to come back a 2nd day for some good images as you only really wanted the very tip of the root as that is your best chance of finding mitoses happening. In the future We could avoid the confusion of how much to cut off by re-reading the instructions on what to do. 

#2 Scientific Communication

In this competency we made the video. The criteria for this video was simple 1. Show mitosis and meiosis models made in tinkercad 2. Show the images you captured of real life mitosis 3. Show how mitosis and meiosis are different. Overall my video was strong and showed off both my models and the images I took and showed the differences between the mitosis and meiosis. However I could have improved my video by making it less wordy as I did not have text slides of anything I just talked through it all. Another thing I could have improved was when I talked about the differences between the two process as I only really gave one reason. Now so that you can see what I’m talking about here is the video again

#3 Questioning and predicting 

This competency is making sure we use our class time appropriately. This time I managed to resist goofing off for the most part. I did occasionally get distracted but overall I was much more focused this time. I also asked a few questions about what we were doing and I made sure to get my work in on time. 

Now for the answer to the driving question which to remind you was: How is the reproduction of cells essential to the survival of organisms? I think the answer is overall very simple. Reproduction done mitosis of meiosis is essential to the survival of every living organism as if you don’t reproduce you and subsequently the rest of your species will eventually die. Take Humans for example if we don’t reproduce sexually we as a species will cease to exist as we will die of old age. And on that happy note. Thanks for reading my blog have a chill day. 

Çarter=Blog.