I Must Issue An Ology With That Apology

Hello! Welcome back to another humanities blog post this one is about the latest project we did called “Ology of Apology” in which we learned about past atrocities committed by the Canadian government. The atrocity I chose to learn about was “Japanese Internment” in which the during WW2 the Canadian government interned more the 22,000 Japanese Canadians who were living in BC. The driving question for this project was: “How can we keep apologies for past wrongs alive so they are remembered-and not repeated-today?” The answer will come in due time. 

To start this project we learned about Ukrainian Canadians being interned during the First World War. We did this in an effort to use historical perspective. Which if you don’t know what that is. It’s the idea that you look at historical events from the lens of that time, and not a modern day perspective. You should also know that the final product would be presented at the winter exhibition. 

Keystone 1 was a 2 part affair, as to start we researched our topic. Here is all the research I did on Japanese Internment. 

My Notes 

So after gathering all the information I could. I started putting together my keynote, and in full honesty I disliked this keystone tremendously because I didn’t know what to do and I couldn’t find clearer instructions in Craft. In hindsight I should’ve asked my teacher for further clarification, but alas I didn’t so I revised this keystone several times. Anyways here is the final keystone. 

Internment of Japanese Canadians

Keystone 2 

For keystone 2 we made an audio clip saying whether or not our event was just on unjust. Obviously no one said there event was just because they were all terrible atrocities committed by the Canadian Government. First we needed to write a script for it so here’s mine. 

I found this keystone really hard to write the script for as I didn’t really know what to say. But after I figured that out it was relatively easy as we already had gathered all the information we needed for it. Without further ado here is my Audio Clip 

The Final Keystone was the final product we made for the exhibition. Just for fun I’m going to show you our final product without any context. So then you’ll have to read that post to. * Cackles Evilly 

Now the answer to the driving question which as a reminder is: How can we keep apologies for past wrongs alive so they are remembered-and not repeated-today?”. In my personal opinion, the answer is: We can keep these wrongs alive in memory by doing a multitude of things. The first being recording and archiving these apologies and what led to them. The second being educating the next generations about these injustices and pointing out why it’s wrong. If we do these things I believe that these things will never happen again.