👏tPOL 2020👏

Aloha and welcome to my tPOL! As the summer approaches all I can think about is how much I want to be in the beautiful Hawaiian sun or basking in the Southern California heat. Unfortunately those dreams won’t come true for a while due to the massive pandemic currently striking humanity hard. On the brighter side of things, summer vacation is still summer vacation, even without the wonderful Kaanapali waves, the smell of Splash Mountain’s waters, and the most delicious thing in the world, the Dole Whip. Now that I’ve gotten that out of my system, its time to get into what we’re all really here for. I’m here to explain why am I ready to transition to grade 10 and I am going to do it in a whole new format. In the past I’ve gone subject specific, project specific, and even habit specific. Now due to my having all the time in the world to reflect, I am doing this on a goal basis. 

Tumisu / Pixabay

Going into grade 10 is a milestone in my eyes. It marks the halfway point in high school, as well as marking when things start to get difficult and perseverance, resilience, and determination are all key. As a kid, and into my early teen years I prided myself on how easily things came to me. I was always so proud of that fact that I was always breezing through school unproblematically. The number one thing that grade 9 has taught me was how wrong I was all those years. It took a hefty amount of failure and not meeting my self made standards to realize that I have a lot of problems to work out. My 2 goals going into the next grade apply to all subjects and my personal life. Up first is goal 1!

Goal #1.

Find ways to effectively work with/around my executive functioning issues.

(Specifically organization, concentration, and prioritizing)

In the past year we’ve done god knows how many projects, some of which I felt I succeed in above others. On the other hand, there were multiple projects which I failed to complete or meet my personal standards. In writing this I took a microscopic look at each of the reasons that I failed to meet standards. I came out the other end recognizing for the first time in my life that I have some issues when it comes to executive functioning. I’ve always been disorganized and often have trouble prioritizing and balancing the academic and social aspects of school. 99% of the time the lack of organization and prioritize skills lead to my inability to concentrate for an extended period of time. Even in writing this I’ve gotten distracted a million times. Other examples could include our Confederation Commercial project in February. I got carried away trying to come out on top of every other group for personal reasons and failed to prioritize the project. It lead to a loss of focus and an overall lacking contribution to my group. I honestly believe that my contribution or lack thereof in Confederation Commercial lead to my B on my Term 2 report card.

mohamed_hassan / Pixabay

Another example of this is this year’s Destination Imagination. DI was absolutely hectic this year. I found that I was 10x more unorganized than usual and compared to my performance in DI last year, DIWhy Bridges was a flop. After our improvised online tournament in April, I reflected on how unfocused I was during the entire project. I was admittedly very petty and not really helpful with DI and obviously that was a huge problem. In my post I reflected that the reason for that was due to the challenge being so far outside my comfort zone that I felt very useless. This leads me into my second goal.

Goal #2.

Be more open minded/less rock brain when things don’t come easily. Move past the barriers when it comes to asking for and accepting help.

I’ve heard from reliable sources that grade 10 is when high school starts to become more challenging. I’m always up for a good challenge but I have a feeling that next year will wear me down. In order to stop that I need to start asking for help instead of shutting down and giving up when things get hard and I can’t understand. I am a kinesthetic learner and that has been very challenging for me since I was little, especially in math and science. Math is the one subject that has more power over me than I have over it. I have always struggled and cracked under the pressure of not understanding mathematics as quickly or easily as my peers do. This year has been a great example of that. For every project that we did the minute that I didn’t understand something I would get stressed out and fall behind instead of getting help. While this didn’t happen during every project, it did when I was uncomfortable with the people I was with or expected to understand something that I was really confused over. Not understanding and not doing anything to fix that often lead to sidetracking and loss of focus. This is where I would start to be more social rather than concentrated in Scimatics, which is clearly an issue that needs fixing. Whether it’s a tutor I need, or just more confidence it’s my goal to have a flexible mindset going into grade 10.

terimakasih0 / Pixabay

Now that we have my goals, I need to dive into how I’ll actually achieve them. In the past couple months we’ve been focusing on the 7 Habits and how we can apply them to our daily lives. Each and every habit has it’s place in my life but there are some that trump the others when it comes to my 2 big goals. Habits 1, 2, 3, and 7 are the first batch of habits that will help me get to where I need to be. Starting with myself, or have a private victory, is what I need in the beginning of grade 10 so that I can sustain it through my remaining years of school. In PGP I often deny that I need any of the information being given to me, but thankfully in the past few months I’ve begun to recognize that I was wrong. I need to be proactive and have a plan for where I want to be, as well as prioritize some things over others in order to bring myself to that level. 

Over the course of grade 9 I have had triumphs and failures. Each taught me a lesson that was necessarily planned. Once the COVID-19 pandemic begun and we were all quarantined I had to step it up and work hard to improve my executive functioning skills or I wouldn’t have been able to get any work done. Remote learning has had its silver lining in forcing me to take initiative and get a handle of my own learning. I know for a fact that in term 3 alone my performance has improved so much compared to the rest of the year. I am determined to get to where I want to be so I can only better myself from there on out. My final words for this tPOL are a simple question. In the coming school year, I’m striving to do my part in overcoming all the challenges I just expressed, including my inability to ask for help. Next year what kind of support can I expect from you?

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk 

– Ciara 

💸Money Doesn’t Grow on Trees 💸

Salutations and welcome to my Time is Money portfolio post! During the past month or so my Scimatics 9 class has been studying linear equations. To do so in a PLP fashion, we accompanied our basic math practice with the challenge of integrating our knowledge into finance. The basic blanket explanation if you will, we were tasked with providing a product or service of our choice in order to calculate our expenses, time, and profits in a simple spreadsheet. Furthermore, we took said spreadsheet and converted it into a linear equation with which we created our final graph. As for presentation, we each created a short video explaining the process and competencies.

Understanding & Solving:

The first competency being assessed is all about proving our ability to “apply multiple strategies to solve problems in both abstract and contextualized situations.” In creating my spreadsheet I believe a did well with this competency. The time, expenses, and startup costs per each session are all accounted for and were used to calculate my equation later on.

My Equation

Communicating & Representing:

Our second competency requires students to “represent our mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms.” Although I came through in having my linear equation to determine my profit per service I didn’t come up with a prediction for my NET earnings over the span of a year. I fell a little behind with this competency but I feel that I have improved in representing my graphs and equations since projects in the past.

Connecting & Reflecting:

The third and final competency of Time is Money asks students to “connect mathematical concepts to one another and to other areas of personal interest.” The entire premise of this project is to make and predict a profit of a job or service of your choosing so in doing so I chose something that I typically enjoy. While gardening isn’t something I could make a living off of, nor is it all that similar to my future aspirations, it was what I felt to be a good example and choice for this project. I also chose it to ensure that I wasn’t doing something that I utterly dreaded.

suju / Pixabay

All in all this project did it’s job in helping me learn linear equations. Below is my final video that explains my service and my linear equation. You’ll probably find that not every flower and plant has bloomed as that tends to take a while!

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk!

– Ciara

🦠Witness to History🦠

Hello and welcome back! In the past few months the entire world has been struck by the 21st century’s biggest and most destructive pandemic, COVID-19. If you have yet to be greeted by the oh so lovely pandemic you’re either Patrick Star and living under a boulder or Jared Leto coming back from meditation. Anyway, PLP 9’s first maker project since our online DI tournament is all about being witnesses to history. History being the current global pandemic. Our task was to learn to and execute a video essay covering how a topic of our choice is being affected by social distancing. Anyway lets dive in!

It’s been a while since my class has done a video in maker so we needed a bit of a refresher. We started by combining our maker and humanities projects to make an iMovie trailer. The goal was to tell the story of what was going on in Canada before the first gold rushes. I was very, very excited to get back on the video making train and in the end my trailer was really great! After we were back in the video makers mindset, we started to build upon our knowledge of COVID-19. While you’d think that we’d be completely caught up with the pandemic, lots changed every day or so globally. In an effort to control our curiosity on the global and more widespread effects of the pandemic we focused on choosing a community within our community, Deep Cove, or just North Van in general.

I chose to focus in on school. My peers, friends, and family are all greatly impacted by what happens in the education community. Obviously myself and all of my friends are students, plus I’ve got two younger siblings and educators for parents. Every single day all I would hear was one person after another talking about school or work or what the next steps would be. I got tired of sitting around and just listening to my parents, neighbours, and other family talk about school right around when we were assigned our first research task. I took it upon myself to sit down and interview my dad. Before I pressed record we had a hefty conversation that made me as a student and as a witness to history, much more comfortable and aware of everything happening around me. I eventually narrowed it down to asking three questions, each one concerning a stakeholder in the education community. In my video my dad answered each of those questions with extremely informative responses that added to my understanding of how our community will move forward. The three big “stakeholders,” per say are, the students, the educators, and the citizen that comes out of the education system able to make a contribution to society.

Once I had my research, interview, and script I started collecting lots of b-roll. The most challenging thing about making a video essay during quarantine is getting screen content. There isn’t a lot to film and when there was, I treasured it. I took a chance with social media and other graphics that could aid me in explaining the effects of social distancing. I think I did a good job with that and overall I’m writing this feeling confident in my video essay. The final piece of this project that I am 100% sure helped me to the finish line was simply editing my video. While editing wast a milestone or anything it certainly always helps me recognize my mistakes and learn to improve my skills. Not to mention, I am a person who typically has a lot to say. Editing helps me confine my thoughts and express them in less words, something I’ve been working on a lot lately.

As PLP students we are very familiar with core competencies. We focus on specific ones for each project we partake in. Being a witness to history has opened up fresh avenues for any student, not just myself, to being an active digital citizen. In making this video and writing this post I am actively connecting to others that may be going through similar things somewhere else in the world. In my video I used examples of social media, newscasts, articles, and other media to present my understanding and tell my story. Media is one of the biggest forms of communications in present day and we use all kinds of technology to get there. I used my photo and video skills to capture shots and my ability to find images free for use to incorporate into my video in order to get my message to my audience.

In conclusion, my time being an active witness to history is not nearly over and while that may not be ideal considering the circumstances, it’s reality. To tell a story through a video essay is a fantastic way of documenting one aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic. In 70 years when a classroom filled with grade 9 students is learning about this period in human history I can only hope that they find resources like mine. Stay safe, wash your hands, wear a mask, and stay a hockey stick apart.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

– Ciara

✰SBC Week 8: Let’s Reflect✰

Hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the final week of the SBC! For the past 8 weeks I’ve been participating in weekly challenges! This is the final post of the challenge and that only means one thing. It’s time to reflect! 

pixelcreatures / Pixabay

As a student, I typically have trouble enjoying assignments and projects if I’m not immediately hooked. I’ve done SBC a total of 2.5 times. How is that possible? In 2018 I completed my first ever SBC. At the time I was in the first term of eighth grade. One year later I started my second SBC, and never finished. As a way of making up for the incomplete challenge, I signed up for the spring SBC. Each time I’ve learned something different, and of course learned from and reflected upon my mistakes. This time, I challenged myself to try and format my posts a little differently than I usually do. I tried using different plugins, and practiced new ways of using Creative Commons without tools like Pixabay. 

GDJ / Pixabay

The other big takeaway from this challenge was taking the initiative to actually do the work without the reminders from my teachers. I’m proud of myself that I did that mostly because it has encouraged me to work harder at doing the same across other subjects. 

I figure that I should probably include some of my favourite things from this challenge so here you go! I can say without a doubt that I loved doing weeks 4 and 5 the most. I always enjoy the free choice week because it gives me a chance to talk about whatever I want. This time around I wrote a post about how I’m doing during this pandemic and covered some of the things I’ve found myself doing nowadays. Week 5’s challenge is always fun. I love digging deep pinto one specific subject that I feel passionate about. Talking about environmental issues, especially around Earth Day was a great way to get me to reconnect with outside, after all I live in BC so there’s a lot to love (except for the constant rain). In conclusion, I took away a lot more from this challenge than I did with the other 1.5. I pushed myself more than I did before and I had fun doing it!

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

– Ciara

☎️DI Why…Online?☎️

Hello ladies and germs! And of course I can’t forget about all the gentlemen out there. But really this is a lovely welcome to the newest edition in my life and the lives of billions of others, germs! Except these aren’t regular germs. There are the kind that carry a bad virus that caused a global pandemic resulting in the closing of schools and what feels like an eternal life of loneliness due to social distancing! This is me trying so very hard to be optimistic but as you can see I am struggling. One of the things that is getting me through this period of social distancing is online school. That may seem very weird as most students hate this new format, but as a proud member of PLP I’m kinda used to it. We do everything through iPads and technology so the learning itself hasn’t changed much. The weird part is not entering my classroom everyday and not seeing our teachers and learning from them in person. This entire situation has really made me think about how much I took getting up at 7am every morning for granted. It’s almost like when you get a cold and are stuffed up and you start to regret taking clear sinuses for granted. Anyways enough about my lonely existence and on to more important topics!

sumanley / Pixabay

On April 4th 2020 Gabe, Thomas, Felix, Brenton, and myself were set to present our revised version of our DI skit. But due to COVID-19 the provincial tournament was cancelled. When the news of school being closed all together came around we thought that we had put in all the hard work for nothing. Out of seemingly nowhere, our teachers decided to improvise! Although it wasn’t perfect, and we couldn’t show all of our work on the most important elements of the challenge, my team, and all the others, presented our skits over a Zoom call to an improvised panel of judges including one of our own, Zoe Wooles.

Before I dive into how this Zoom presentation went, I’d like to cover all of the improvement my team made after the regional tournament. At regionals, my team may have come first, but all in all, we didn’t really deserve the win and we definitely wouldn’t have gotten that far if we were in a different category. After our presentation, we immediately decided we needed to step things up to a whole new level. In class a few days later we had a discussion recalling all the things that went poorly and needed to be fixed. We made plans for a new and improved backdrop, designed possible improvements for our bridge, and edited our script to fit our missing group member, Felix.

• Script page

When we were hit with a brand new challenge, my mindset was already in a delicate state. Not being able to socialize, go out, have fun, or learn in familiar and enjoyable environments was a difficult adaptation to make. Adding to that with a Zoom DI presentation, ouch. After we’d heard that school was cancelled, my team kind of gave up and stopped communicating overall. Obviously that was a mistake that we later made up for in what I thought to be a pretty good presentation, especially under the circumstances. As we couldn’t show the bridge, backdrop, or props that would’ve aided our skit, we depended heavily on the story, which I wrote. When preparing for regionals I felt that I should put my strengths to good use and write a creative story that was still realistic and met standards. In doing so I felt like I didn’t really help the team enough with the bigger elements. With the improvised skit, my hard work and “creative genius,” as I like to call it, came in handy and made for a fun and successful presentation! We also put together new backgrounds and utilized Zoom’s virtual background feature to set the scene. 

At the end of the day we were forced to drop everything and improvise. I personally think we were successful and to be honest, the online tournament was a fun kickstart to our new online schooling! After all my entire team was able to understand the new process, navigate the changes, and make adaptations in a time crunch, which I count as a win, especially with the competency we’re being assessed on.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk…and please, rember to stay home and wash your hands!

– Ciara

🇨🇦This project was Rielly Interesting🇨🇦

Métis Flag

Welcome back to another humanities portfolio post! Before COVID-19 took over the world, my humanities class focused in on a story that would lead us to further understand ethical judgement. Louis Riel was one of many Canadians to shape our country in one way or another and studying him gave us insight on how Manitoba was established. Our driving question was, “how can we present past actions and decisions through images to help us make decisions of what is fair or unjust?” In order to answer said question, we researched different ethically questionable events in Canadian history with a a partner and decided whether the outcomes were fair or unjust.

Clayoquot Sound Protests

Milestone 1:

The first activity we did was a basic current event. It was a seemingly simple task that ended up giving me a boost of curiosity towards the rest of the project. Our task was to research an event similar to that of the Wet’suwet’en protests in BC. I choose to focus on the protests at the Clayoquot Sound and learned that these protests were some of the largest in Canadian history. To finish off the assignment, we had to share our thoughts. This is where I got my first taste of deciding whether the outcome was fair or not. I ended up having a very mixed opinion about the ordeal which was challenging but very good practice for what was coming up later in the project.

Milestone’s 2-4:

Alongside studying Louis Riel, we were assigned a partner to research another topic with. Ryan and I chose to do the Chinese Head Tax. We started out doing some initial research and eventually started making drafts of our images that would later end up on our class’ instagram page dedicated to the project. This part of the project allowed for me to really get into my element and dig deep into the subject. I learned tons about the Head Tax and the severity of the discrimination. Knowing all that I do now about the ordeal, I can confidently say it deserves way more recognition. After compiling our research and making our images, my partner and I had to decide if the matter was fair or unjust and it really goes without saying that everything that went down with the Head Tax was horrific. As I said before, it deserves more recognition for how utterly unjust it was. 

Louis Riel:

The title of this project is, “Let’s Get Riel,” and it fits. (Shoutout to Ms. Maxwell for the name!) throughout the entirety of the project we read a comic book entitled, The Louis Riel Comic Strip. The book tells the story of a Métis rights activist named Louis Riel. His story is really exciting and interesting and grabbed my attention as a reader. Considering this is a portfolio post, I probably shouldn’t get carried away and retell the entire story so instead I’ll just recommend reading the comic. Spoiler alert, Louis Riel dies. Riel spent his life fighting for the Métis and the Red River Settlement (which is now part of Manitoba.) He constantly challenged the Canadian government and tools risks that made fellow politicians weary. He fought long and hard and made some very, very ethically questionable decisions along the way. At one point he was emitted to a mental asylum due to him being convinced that he was the next prophet. At the end, he was charged with execution and was hung for his crimes. 

Louis Riel

My class held a debate on the subject of whether his death was unjust or fair. We were randomly separated into the two teams and had one of our classmates, Ben moderate the debate. I was arguing that his death was unjust and offered a rebuttal that I was quite proud of. In the end the our closing statement was a bit weaker than that of the opposing side and it lead us to defeat. The debate really helped me in our final milestone. We had an in class writing assign,ent in which we had to deliver our personal opinion on Riel’s death. I came to the conclusion that he was neither a hero nor a villain. Some of his actions seemed more heroic, but as time went on he seemed to grow simultaneously tired and restless. His actions became more irrational but his motive was still clear.

In conclusion, this project taught me a lot. I learned to analyze past events and judge controversy in ways I can document and understand. I really enjoyed this project as it allowed for me to get into my element and really brought out the best in my researching abilities. I am now able to recognize and comprehend ethical dimensions like never before and I can connect my opinions to that of others. Finally, I have to end this post on the following note because once again Ms. Maxwell amazed me in the seemingly weirdest way possible. Enjoy the exit video and see you in the next post!

Louis Riel For Dinner (from The Criterion Collection “My Winnipeg” DVD) from Drew Christie on Vimeo.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Ciara ✌️

✰SBC Week 7: Emojis✰

johnhain / Pixabay

Good morning, afternoon, evening, or night! Wherever you are and whatever time it is welcome to week 7 of the SBC! This week was all about emoji’s. As a fan of the emoji’s that I use in my daily dose of internet, I can’t say I wasn’t excited for this task. In the first SBC that I participated  in, I made a guessing game for this challenge. My readers watch a video and guessed a movie based on the emojis I used to describe it. This time around, I thought I’d make the challenge a little more personal. Below are some questions for you to use the emojis to find the answers to. Each question is about me and all the answers are below! Enjoy and feel free to leave a comment at the end!

Question 1: 

How old am I?

Question 2:

What industry/field do I want to work in when I grow up?

Question 3:

What kind of pet do I have?

Question 4:

What is my favourite subject in school?

Congratulations! You finished my little challenge! I hope you enjoyed and if you didn’t I’m also leaving the link to my first emoji challenge from my first time doing this challenge here. Feel free to compare the two and if you have any thoughts leave them in the comments below!

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk 😎👍

– Ciara

✰SBC Week 6: Schools Around The World✰

AlexanderStein / Pixabay

Good day to all my readers and welcome to week 6 of the SBC! This week is all about schools around the world. We’ve been tasked with asking our readers what school is like for them. Whether that meant how they get to school, what their typical day looks like, or even how they are still participating in school during this pandemic. I chose to put together a little survey that poses questions just like the ones above! I’ve even secured one spot for you to paste you blog URL so that I can visit you! Feel free to leave a comment below!

https://forms.gle/x1rGQ72DxZKvrvTT7 

– Ciara

✰SBC Week 5: Earth Day✰

Hello and welcome back! This week’s SBC task is to talk about our earth! April 22nd 2020 marks 50 years of Earth Day. This means that for half a century we have been celebrating the earth and spreading awareness about the several different things going on that can effect not only our futures, but also that of our planet. It’s my job as a participant in this blogging challenge to spread awareness about one specific topic surrounding the earth. I’ve chosen to research palm oil deforestation. 

e-smile / Pixabay

In almost every piece of commercially produced food, exported all around the world, palm oil is an ingredient. Not only is it a main ingredient in food, it’s also used in cosmetics, and as a frying oil. While the product can be beneficial in things such as biofuel, which is a sustainable renewable energy, the path to farming palm oil causes immense environmental degradation. Roughly 4% of the worlds greenhouse gas emission and 8% of all global emissions are contributed to by palm oil harvesting. Not only does it contribute to global pollution, it also destroys habitats for a vital keystone species, the orangutan. 

blandinejoannic / Pixabay

Over 3.5 million hectares, or 80% of Southeast Asian, more specifically Malaysian and Indonesian forests have been wiped out for palm oil production. That 80% counts for more than just trees. It’s the home of the critically endangered orangutan. The population of orangutans is continuously decreasing at rapid paces and has been for the past two decades. Sumatran Orangutauns have the lowest population with roughly 7,500 left. The biggest question is how can we help to stop the extinction of these animals. By purchasing products that contain palm oil, we help the business and allow for more deforestation. Deforestation often leads to poaching and ample more illegal activity. The point is, you can help. Try to find alternative products that don’t contain palm oil. Check the ingredients label before you purchase any items. And finally, spread awareness on this subject. It’s important that people understand where the things in their Nutella, shampoo, ice cream, laundry detergent, and more!

StockSnap / Pixabay

A few years ago I came across an advertisement that was released in Iceland, a country where palm oil is banned. They have moved away from private label companies that use palm oil in order to help stop corporations from destroying rain forests. The advertisement really gets the message through to the viewer and before seeing it, I thought very little of the massive issue that is palm oil production. Take the ad’s message into consideration and spread awareness by sharing it with people you know.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

– Ciara

✰SBC Week 4: Free Choice✰

Bonjour, and welcome to week 4 of SBC! This week we were given a free choice, which basically means I can write a post about anything I want and use the time to catchup on other work, which believe me I have a lot of! That might seem ridiculous considering the current global crisis evolving around COVID-19 but everywhere in the world is handling this pandemic differently. I’ve decided to take this free choice opportunity to ask my readers about their experiences during the pandemic. 

stux / Pixabay

I’ve basically spent my time as if I were a cat. Sleep all day, eat when I’m bored and do very little physical activity. Not exactly the healthiest habits but I will admit that it was hard for me to cope at first. Having school closed and my soccer season suspended indefinitely was weird and shocking. Now were about a month or so into quarantine and I’ve changed up my habits. Living in BC comes with lots of rain but as we get closer to summer the temperature is rising and the sun is out way more often. I’ve been biking almost daily, jogging with my brother, and playing soccer at fields nearby. As for the school side of things, we started our online classes and so far I’m actually kind of enjoying them. Like most students, I miss the classroom setting but online school isn’t as bad as I would’ve thought. We’ve been working on a couple projects and I’m happy to report that I’m still learning lots!

geralt / Pixabay

Lot’s of people around the world have been taking up quarantine activities. Some of my friends have been cooking, practicing new instruments, and even learning macramé. Of course in the era of Netflix and constant streaming, we’ve all been bingeing way to much TV. I’ve watched Brooklyn-Nine-Nine, Gossip Girl, and Grey’s Anatomy more than ever before! I’ve also been experiencing a sort of personal cultural reset back to 2013/14. Re-reading the Percy Jackson and Hunger Games series and listening to an unhealthy amount of One Direction has brought me right back to simpler times. (Not even kidding my inner Directioner is resurfacing.)

One Direction 2013

Fiona McKinlay / CC BY-SA

All in all, quarantine has had it’s difficulties but I’ve worked through them and hope to continue being optimistic during this time! Now my question for you guys. In the comments let me know how your quarantine experience is going! It’s certainly not going to be the same for everyone so I’m curious!

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

– Ciara