‘Argh Matey Summative Blog Post

Out of all of the PLP projects that we have done, this is probably one of the best

-me

The driving question of this projects was: What was the impact of global exploration. Now, I think that this question can be answered in a lot of ways, as there is a lot of different ways that global exploration can effect a lot o different things. Exploration can be great for humanity, discovering new resources, new people, new lands, but what when we take to much from this land, then its bad.

This project had the best start to any project ever. We had just wrapped up our previous project and we were all wondering what was next. When we found our class room empty with all the desks pushed aside, we were confused. We where then brought down to the movie theatre where we got to watch the movie: Captain Phillips. I had already seen this movie before, and I loved it, so when I got to watch it in a movie theatre the atmosphere was amazing. The project started off strong to say the least. We later found out that this project would be all about the age of exploration and finding the “new world”.

🚀 Launch

In the Launch phase we analyzed something called cause and consequence. We would depict a photo and analyze the causes that might be hidden from view. The chart we used looked like this:

We would have to find hidden causes and consequences and show the long term events after. For this chart. We created our own story and our own cause and consequences.

💡 Building Knowledge

This phase of the project was all about building knowledge (hence the name). Here we learned a lot about the age of exploration and what that meant to humanity. This meant a lot of note taking, but I liked it. This is always the most of our projects. We learned about famous explorers and there “discovery” of the new world. We learned about all the things that were new to the explorers and all of the things that were new to the native people of North America. We then used a bigger cause and consequence map to identify underlying causes and consequences of the Colombian Exchange here’s mine as an example:

🔁 Develop and Critique

In the develop and Critique stage it became much clearer what our final product would be. We would be creating a Augmented Reality video. Augmented reality is when artificial objects are place into real life using sensors in cameras. It’s really cool, you can place whatever 2d object wherever you want through a screen with this app called AR Makr. That might sound really fun but we also had to create a big script on what we were going to say in our video. Heres a PDF copy of my script so when my video goes viral, you’ll have the original copy of the videos script:

We also had to draw original drawings for our AR maker, so here’s my TB Buccaneers logo with a Portuguese twist:

All we had to do now was peace together our images and then we would have a beautiful working AR video about the age of exploration, but no before some awesome pirate packs, courtesy of White Spot.

We also spent a great time in the theatre watching everyone’s Destination Imagination videos, but thats a project for another blog which I hope to release this week.

Curricular Competency’s 📑

This project had two curricular competency’s: Social Studies 8 (analyze cause and consequence) and English 8 (discussing, listening, and speaking).

For English 8 I think I’m an accomplished. I say this because I really thought my grammar was proper in my script and my video was effectively presented using speech. This wasn’t a super social project like some other ones we’ve had in the past, but when your sharing a video to the entire world, you don’t want to sound like a stuttering idiot.

For Socials 8 I also think I’m an accomplished. At first I had much difficulty analyzing cause and consequence but I eventually got the hang of it. I can successfully identify who or what influenced events to occur and and what the consequences of the event was

All in all the project was an ABSOLUTE blast. It might’ve been the shortest project but it was a great way to learn about the Colombian Exchange with a twist. And if you want to check it out, here’s my incredible YouTube video on the age of exploration. Like and Subscribe!

Published inHumanities

Be First to Comment