The Atomic Habits by Mr. Clean

Here’s the truth.

all those books that claim that they’ll CHANGE YOUR LIFE! is all BS. The only thing that can change your life is you.

That being said, books are great ways to start that process of change. Literature has the power to change one’s perspective on reality by broadening one’s understanding of beliefs and assumptions. Most importantly, it also has the power to create new understandings and exposing people to different perspectives, strengthening critical thinking skills and one’s introspection.

Atomic Habits written by James Clear is one of those special books. It’s a book that no matter who you are, it can help show you how to be the best you can be.

How does it do this?

Well turns out contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t take a massive, life altering change to set you up for the course of success. All you need is to become 1% better every day, break bad habits, and master the tiny behaviours that he claims will lead you to remarkable results.

Now, I’m sure this sounds like a bunch of work and a bit overwhelming at first, but that’s why Mr. Clear breaks it down into sections:

The First Law🥇

“Make it obvious,” is Mr Clear’s first law. This means that in order to form a new habit or multiple habits, you must first make it clear to yourself. This can be accomplished by setting visual cues, creating a setting specific goals, and developing a plan for when and where you will perform the habit. All of this  Making the habit obvious will assist you in overcoming any barriers or obstacles that may be preventing you from forming the habit, as well as making it easier to stick with the habit over time. This law is repetition, repetition, repetition. improving little by little until is so etched into your memory, that your habits become a daily routine. Creating Obvious systems are more easy to track and control than subtle ones.

Present your habits, make it easier for yourself. Focus on a more positive mindset. Set yourself up for Success.

The Second Law🥈

The second law of James is “Make it attractive.” This means that in order to successfully build a new habit or pursue and old one, you should make it appealing and enjoyable to do. Try to find ways to associate positive emotions and feelings with the habit, creating a sense of anticipation, and making the habit feel like a reward rather than a chore. When a habit is attractive, you are more likely to feel motivated to perform it consistently, and it becomes easier to integrate into your daily life.

Make it fulfilling and Rewarding. Don’t make it something that you need to do. Make it something that you want to do.

The Third Law🥉

“Make it easy” is the third Law. This implies that you should make developing a new habit as simple and carefree as you can. You can achieve this by breaking the habit down into small, bite sized steps, removing any obstacles or friction that would prevent you from starting the habit, and developing an environment that encourages it. A habit becomes more automatic and requires less commitment willpower to uphold when it is simple to perform.

the easier the habit is, the more likely you’re going to complete it. The less there is to do, the less thinking it takes to complete it.

The Fourth Law🎬

The Fourth and final law is “make it satisfying.” What he means is that in order to build a new habit, you should make sure it is satisfying and rewarding to perform. Tracking your progress, celebrating small wins, and creating a sense of accomplishment. When a habit is satisfying, you are more likely to continue doing it and to feel motivated to improve over time.

Reward yourself. Create positive re-enforcement by training your behaviour to appreciate itself for the accomplishments it achieves

See? See thats great stuff right? Well those are just words. Words wont and dont do anything on their own. It’s like a giant jerry can of Fuel, it wont get you anywhere being fuel. But if you use the fuel to power a generator, than the possibilities are endless…

So what does this have to do with me? Well, if im going to spend all this time reading this novel, then may as well give it a shot. After all I am the worlds biggest procrastinator.

(Future employers, if somehow you are reading this and future me referenced this Blog Site I can assure you that I am no longer the worlds biggest procrastinator and I get all my work done in a punctual and efficient manner)

How are these laws changing my behaviours?

I dont know if it’s just me, but after I read a book or watch a movie that really clicks with me, for a bit afterwards my entire worldview changes in line with that book or movie, kinda like a “What would such and such do in this situation” or stopping and thinking before I do.

Creating new habits is harder than people think. You can try to fit it into your life, but if you’re not committed to this behaviour change, then your life with spit it back out. Just like the book, we start small and work to 1% better everyday. First, I decided to brainstorm my IDEAL daily habits into a list, just like Mr Clear.

Get out of bed.
Take a shower.
Do hair.
Get dressed.
Make my lunch
Make a smoothie
Eat breakfast.
Brush teeth
Pack Bag
Get dropped of @ school
Start school
Bus home
Do homework
Go to the gym
Eat dinner
Watch TV
Play video games
Get ready for bed.
Obviously, this is the perfect day, sometimes I dont do my homework and sometimes I cnat get to the gym. Maybe sometimes I wake up late and I cant make my health smoothie. So from here, lets make a Habit Stack
After I wake up at 7:30 I will brush my teeth and shower. 
After doing my hair I will get changed and head downstairs
After Im done making my lunch, I will make my smoothie and breakfast.
After Im done breakfast, I will make sure my bag is packed and ready for school
After school I will immediately start my homework while its fresh In my Mind
After my homework is ALL completed, I will bus to the gym
After I return home, I will eat dinner with my family
After a long Day, I will relax and reward myself by watching TV 
After TV I will get ready for bed and set my alarm for 7:30
Repeat
For me, when you have the word After it creates this unfinished sense of urgency. When you have something after something, something is always in motion.
How will I put this in motion? Well thanks for asking
This is a repeating list. Every single check repeats, day after day. Now, Doing the same thing over and over and over again every day might get a little boring, but the beauty of this list is, these are just habits. They wont take up my entire day, just points to help improve my life, day by day, little by little. Keeping the 4 laws in mind its obvious and clear what I need to do because its right there in my face on my ipad everyday. the list is attractive and appealing, making it likely for me to use. The list is easy and simple to use and theirs no complicated tasks or demanding habits. Finally, in order for it to be satisfying I want to make it rewarding for checking every habit off everyday, so if im able to mark off every habit every day for a week, than I’ll be rewarded to a nice habit that would be more than satisfying. Whether thats making a dedicated slot for ice cream everyday for a week or a purchase of an item hat I’ve been wanting can be decided. However the reward can only happen every second week and the reward can never be the same.
Pretty good game plan if you ask me.

Positive Brain Training 

“Setting a goal is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible”                                                          -Tony Robins

That quote I found off the internet 20 seconds ago.

Positive Brain Training™ is a process in training ones brain to be positive. Crazy concept right?

It is scientifically proven that you brain operates more efficiently at a higher capacity when its positive as apposed to negative.

How might someone go about training their brain to be more positive? A weekly routine of activities to help focus on the positive and eliminate the negative:

Monday: Meditation                                                                                                                                            Meditation Monday is what it sounds like. A small meditation anytime in the day. A small break from life and a calming moment to stop and slow down.

Tuesday: Random Act of Kindness                                                                                                             They say the best way to make yourself happy is to make others happy. Every week, complimenting someone or showing a random act of kindness is a great way to create good karma for yourself.

Wednesday: Exercise                                                                                                                                      The Mind-Body connection is real. How can your brain be healthy if your body isn’t? Exercise is a great way to get you mind of of the metal rush.

Thursday: Journaling                                                                                                                                   Journaling is a reflection. A reflection out into the physical. Reflecting back on the past can help put certain stuff at ease, and help push for the future.

Friday: Gratitudes                                                                                                                                         Showing gratitude is a promising tool for promoting happiness. When you reflect on the things that make us positive and help us build resistance to cope with the negative.

Since starting this routine, I’ve noticed that my approach to my well-being, productivity, and behavior has begun to change for the better.

Through incorporating these activities into my weekly routine, I’ve been able to improve my mental and physical health. The Meditation has actually really helped me manage my stress and anxiety, while exercising has increased my energy levels and overall physical health. Showing random acts of kindness has allowed me to feel more connected to others and has boosted my sense of well-being. And journaling has provided me with an outlet for my thoughts and emotions, and reviewing gratitudes has helped me focus on a more positive mindset.

Overall, the “Positive Brain Training” routine has been an effective way for me to take an active role in promoting my well-being and cultivating a positive outlook on life.

The End?

Change is forever constant. in school, in sports, in whatever your life revolves around. It’s our job to adapt to the change. After reflection on behaviour and the different strategies in the Atomic Habit book and positive brain training I think it’s setting up a perfect path for small changes over a constant linear course. My mission from hence forth is to use what I’ve learnt in reading the book, practicing positive brain training and even the fundamentals from way back in my 7 Habits days.

I’ll check back with you guys soon.

Bye.

Published inPGP

Be First to Comment