We have entered a new era. Not one like the past, of thought provoking questions about society, and not one like the future where we have more thought provoking questions about society. An era of the present. An era, where we have thought provoking questions about MATH AND SCIENCE!!!!!!!! Hello all and welcome back to another reflection. In this blog post I will be telling you about our first project in the Scimatics 2020/2021 year. In this project we kept track and calculated our screen time for one week. I ended up with some pretty sad numbers, but first how I got there.

Milestone One

For this milestone we looked around the room and looked at what fractions of the people had the requirements. Then we wrote down the fractions and did some math to reach the final answers. That looked like this.

– The amount of people in your group who like video games: 2/2 

– The number of people in the class wearing something white: 24/24 

– The number of people in the class with dark hair: 12/24 

– The amount of class time that passed: 100/140 

– The amount of the day that has passed: 11.15/24.00

– The amount of the school year that has passed: 87/289

– The amount of people in your group who helped find the answers to these questions: 2/2 

Homework 1, Homework 2, and the PHET Fractions Simulator

In HW 1 and 2, we just answered some of the questions on the standard Grade 8 Math Textbook. That was sort of boring to me, and I felt like it was sort of annoying. I know that the questions are things that I need to know, but it was just a review of last years math, and I dont really like doing ‘all questions on pages 123, and 124.’ 

For the PHET Fractions Simulator, we went to this website that had customizable fractions and visual reperesentations of the fractions, and we answered some questions that used the website. I can’t easily show you that, and if I did, you would probably just skip the boring math answers.

Milestone Four

I know, my last reflections did this too. In this project, we did the milestones sort of out of order. The second milestone we did was milestone four. In this we started our numbers document of our screen time, and entered our numbers for Wednesday, and thrusday. My first draft of my screen time tracker looked like this.

Homework 3

In this, we just did more homework questions in the standard Grade 8 Math Textbook.

Milestone Two

For this milestone, we did a short quiz on adding and subtracting fractions. It wasn’t to hard, just a basic review of last year. 

Milestone Five

In this, we handed in our updated charts, with pie charts and graphs. I had just descovered said pie charts and graphs, so I went a bit overboard.

Homework 3, Fractions, Decimals, and Percents

For this, we did some more homework questions and some other questions that weren’t in the standard textbook. They were the standard homework questions. Just more adding and subtracting fractions, as well as converting between fractions, decimals, and percents.

Milestone Six

For this, we presented the depressing amount of time we spend on screens in the form of our numbers document. The presentation took less then a minute, and wasn’t as hard as most of us thought it would be. For this, I present to you my final numbers chart.

Milestone Three

Oh yeah, we also did another short quiz.

Reflection Time

For the competencies we used in this project, we did Applying and Innovating, Understanding and Visualizing, and Communicating and Representing. Most of these competencies were demonstrated in day to day class time, and I think that I demonstrated Understanding and Visualizing especially well when I created my spreadsheet and programmed the formulas to make the pie charts accurately. To answer the driving question, ‘how much of your time is screen time’, roughly 35% percent of my total time is spent on screens, and roughly 60% of my awake time is spent on screens. In my graph I also tracked the amount of music I listened to, or performed. I had fun with this project, even though it showed me the unhealthy amount of time I spend on screens. This short project was a nice intro to the scimatics course, and I had tons of fun getting back into math. But you’lol have to be back for the next one. See you all later. Bye.