What Did European Settlement Mean For All The People Involved? This was the question we set out to answer on Monday, March 29. We planned to answer this through an infographic that would document continuities and changes since the time of European Settlement, as well as answer the driving question. We would work in pairs, and over the course of three weeks, we would create our infographic. This is the final product me and my partner, Sylas(link to blog here), created, as well as the accompanying video.

Now, I will tell you the steps we took to get there.

Milestone 1

For this Milestone, we took a lecture on the history of Deep Cove, and then went outside to write what we think stayed the same and changed over the course of 100-500 years. My final product looked something like this.

[100 years is a long time. A lot can happen in 100 years. Think about it. If you look around you and think of what it was like 100 years ago, I bet that the place you imagine is drastically different than the one you see today. That is what I am here to talk to you about today. The people here 100 years ago were descended from European settlers that arrived around the early 1800’s, and from the people native to the land. This place, North Vancouver, has a lot of natural resources that are available to anyone who is willing to harvest them. The wildlife, foods, forests, and water systems here have been a major part in the survival of the native people for hundreds of years. The people that were here 100 years ago were likely here for the jobs. There were not many things here besides the factories. Any outside products had to brought in by boat, and many of the natural resources were being harvested for sale, or had already been harvested and used. Over time, this area has become more about the place and less about the money, even though evidence of the three G’s can still be seen. People will always have an inner greed that will push them to do many things.  The trees and forests here were a gold mine for lumber, and so many people had come here, harvested it, and then the lumber has gone off and become part of many creations in many different parts of the world.  I think that his is a positive as well as a negative. I think it is a positive because without the harvesting of this places natural resources, this place would likely not be the same as it is. But it is also a negative, because nature is beautiful, and to see so many trees and other things harvested and sold for a profit instead of being enjoyed and appreciated. I think that many things have stayed the some over 100 years. I think that the beauty of the trees has stayed the same. The water, the mountains are still here. There are still people making a living off businesses in the cove. I think many things have changed as well. The cars have changed, the roads have changed, the technology has changed. I think that because of the technological advancements, the popularity and knowledge of the many things the cove has to offer has increased dramatically, and has resulted in the busyness that we see in the cove today. I think a major turning point in the cove’s history was the establishment of Moodyville, which ultimately resulted in the North Vancouver we see today.]

I think this helped me answer the driving question by teaching me about what how European Settlement impacted people, even if this settlement didn’t happen for a while after initial colonization. This also introduced me to continuity and change, which is a big part of our final infographic.

Milestone 2

For this milestone, we made a chart that documented some continuities and changes since the time of New France. Mine looked like this.

Continuity and Change New France Template

I think this helped me answer the driving by fuelling the facts we put in our final infographic. This also was the best demonstration of continuity and change.

Identifying Continuity and Change: How Are Lives and Conditions Alike Over Time and How Have They Changed?

I think that I best demonstrated this competency in Milestone 2. How I understand this competency is we must identify what has changed and stayed the same over time, and how these things impact our lives today. I think I best showed this in Milestone 2 because, well, the entire milestone was centred around it. This also means that i can identify progress and decline, as well as identify major turning points in time. I think that the next time I practice this competency, I will try and connect my writings more to myself, and how continuities and changes have affected me.

Fur Trade Game

For this stepping stone, we were split into two rooms. In each room, there were four groups. Those groups were: Haudenosaunee, HBC, NWC, and the Wyandot. The goal of the game was different for each group. For the First Nations,(Wyandot, Haudenosaunee) the goal of the game was to gain as many European goods as you could, and for the Europeans, the goal was to get as many First Nations goods as you could. This taught us about what trade was like during the times of New France.

Three Groups

In this stepping stone we studied the three main groups that were involved in European settlement in Canada. These groups were, The First Nations, The British, and The French. After learning about these groups, we were split into groups and competed to have the most approved facts at the end. We wrote our facts on white boards. Some of the final products looked like this.

Milestone 3

This was the first major milestone that focused on our infographics. For this milestone we were told to create three facts about the three groups we studied, as well as three graphics to accompany them. This was a fun milestone, because the three graphics we were instructed to make were really fun. This was also an important milestone because this was where we wrote our first draft of our thesis statement. What our infographic looked like at the time of the milestone was this.

Milestone 4

This Milestone was our completed infographic, which included, graphics, facts, a thesis statement, and a statement of continuity and change.  All of those are right here.

Keynote Magic Move

Now you may be wondering what the QR code on the bottom of the infographic leads you too. If you scan that QR code, you will be sent to a YouTube video that documents our infographic. That videos visuals are made with keynote, and it zooms in and scrolls to the part of the infographic that correlates with the audio. That video is tight here.

Milestone 5

This milestone was us putting up our infographic around the school. We spent maybe 20 minutes cutting out our infographic and posting them to the windows around the school. Here is a photo of me and my partner Sylas with ours.

And that brings us too…

Using Evidence

Our final competency. This competency was using evidence to support the things we say, write and act upon. We used this with backing up our three facts with evidence from historical sources. We also did this fun sheet that combined some fun activities about evidence. Here is that.

Exploring Vocabulary Evidence

Okay. That is it for our first humanities year. I will see you all next year for my next humanities post.