Welcome to the final reflection of the year. This reflection will be on one of the most fun projects I have done, Comic Cells. In this project we were tasked with making a comic book about a virus, disease, or a cellular process. 

To start off this project, we watched a movie called Osmosis Jones. This was a movie about a man who contracted a disease from eating an egg. The movie explored the work of a pill and a white blood cell as if they were people. This was an good introduction to the topic we would be studying.

For milestone one, we were tasked with making a mind map about what we knew about cells. I chose to do the Marburg virus. I chose this in Milestone 2, where we were told to make a wanted poster for a disease or virus. This was mine.

Over the next couple of days, we learned more about cells, cell organelles, and a lot of other stuff that you probably don’t want to hear me talk about. Anyway, milestone four was a storyboard of our comic. I have extremely terrible drawing skills, so this is what my storyboard looked like.

Storyboard

As you can tell my drawings are pretty terrible. That is why, instead of drawing my comic, I decided to photoshop stock images and put a comic filter on them. That way they would look better than if I tried to draw them. For my comic I tried to make an entertaining comic instead of an extremely scientific one. My comic is about an explorer who contracts Marburg virus from bats in a cave. The virus cell travels through the body infecting white blood cells so there would be no one left to stop the virus. You see things like macrophages, who in act as alarms in the body, triggering alarms as though they were security guards. The comic explains better itself. Here it is. 

Marburg Virus Comic

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

All class time is used for learning and creating a comic book story about cellular processes and/or diseases.

I think that I did this quite well, because I had a lot of fun with the photoshop I used for this project, and coming up with an interesting storyline was very engaging.

Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies

Correct vocabulary and accurate diagrams are used. At least 10 interesting science vocabulary words are included in the story.

This one I don’t think I did one quite as well. I only had two diagrams that were kind of shoved in at the end and a lot of the science words were in the diagrams. Technically, l did this well, but in my mind l didn’t really.

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence

Cell/bacteria/virus characters interact in a scientific way. Symptoms and logical outcomes of the chosen disease/cellular/ body process are integrated into the story.

This one l’m pretty proud of. I think that my story integrated cell characters pretty well and they interacted pretty realistically. I think that the way l shaped the story allowed for an entertaining  comic that also accomplished this skill pretty well. 

In conclusion, this project taught me about cells and cellular process, as well as had me make an entertaining comic that was very fun to make. This has definitely been one of my favourite projects, and was a great way to end off the year. 

Thank you for listening to my rants for all these months, and l will see you all next year.