Welcome to the Loon Lake Advance.In this blog post I will be recapping my experience at Loon Lake and how I have grown as a learner. 

Day 1

On day one, we arrived to school like normal. We spent the first half of the day preparing to go leave. Once we got everyone’s stuff on the bus, we were ready to leave. We got on the bus and waited one hour to get to Loon Lake. Once we got there, we started exploring the lake. We went on a photo walk and a scavenger hunt to familiarize ourselves with the the areas we had access to. We then had a fantastic dinner, some free time, and evening fun, which included watching olympics, playing sports in the gym, playing board games, and a chill room. We then had advisory groups and learned who would be in our cabin. I was in a cabin with, Patrick, Sylas, Max L, Noah, Carter, Makenna, Hannah, Faith, Alicia, Jocelyn, Gwen, Brooke, and Dana. I was in a room with Patrick. We then went to sleep.

Day 2

We woke up bright and early to eat another delicious meal and then went to do our next activity, which was shelter building. We took a rope ferry across a small section of the lake and started building our shelters. We looked at a couple of shelter styles and got to building. I built a shelter with Brooke, Dylan, and Julian. We then ate lunch and moved along to our next activity. The next activity was the DI sweat box. In this activity, we sat in a room for 2 hours and worked on DI. In this section, our group worked through three different story ideas. After that, we ate dinner. We then did more evening fun and went back to sleep. I think I demonstrated a lot of communication and communication in this day by working with my group mates in each activity. 

Day 3

On day three we had breakfast, did some 7 habits, ate lunch, did some more DI, did battle archery, then laser tag, then ate dinner, then did more evening fun, then went to sleep. This was an eventful day, and I had a lot of fun. I think I improved my teamwork with these activities because the battle archery and laser tag required a lot of coordination. 

Day 4

The last day at Loon Lake. We started off with an early breakfast. We then went to pack up all of our stuff. After that we played a 8’s vs 9’s game of capture the flag. Then we ate lunch, and we were out of there. This was by far my favourite experience in PLP. It was a great team building experience with the rest of my classmates and it was a lot of fun. 

E-book

Throughout this trip we created an e-book about our experiences here. You can read mine here.

Why was this an advance?

When the teachers told us this was an Advance, everyone was pretty confused. My first thought was ‘it’s just so people don’t think the teachers are going on vacation,’ but after going on the advance, I think it is an appropriate name for it. We definitely advanced our learning on this trip. I learned a lot of school style information, as well as many life and team skills that I think I will use in years to come. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my reflection on the Loon Lake Advance and I hope you have a wonderful day.