Welcome to my recap of the Metaphor Machines project.

The driving question for this project is: How can we represent the scientific method? What factors affect the function and efficiency of electric circuits.

I will answer this question at the bottom of my post.  For this project we had to create a Rube-Goldberg style machine that is a metaphor for the scientific process. My group mates for this project were Landon, Claire, and Mickey.

Here is the recording of our Rube-Goldberg Machine. 

Here is the blueprint we used to build it.

This is how me and my group created our machine.

I think that if I were to do it again then I would work more efficiently in class and coordinate who needs to bing what materials better.

I think that the machine and video represents my learning appropriately and I am very proud of how it turned out.

The Curricular Competencies for this project are:

  1. (Questioning and Predicting)

This means that all class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions.

I think that I did okay on this competency. I think that when I was in class, I was working, and I think that benefited the creation and quality of our machine. I think that there were a couple of classes that I could have been working more in. In the future, I would dedicate all of my class time to working as efficiently as possible so that I get more things done.

2)   (Reasoning and Analyzing)

This means that the final blueprint is complete and accurate, and contains grid scale. All the measurements are labeled with a high degree of accuracy. All lines are easily distinguished.

I think that this competency went pretty well. I met all of the criteria, and although it may not be an extending, it is definitely an accomplished.

3)   (Planning and Conducting)

This means that hand built series and parallel circuits are used to good effect with efficiency in your metaphor machine. Accurate circuit diagrams are included in the final blueprint diagrams use proper symbols. Diagrams are neat and easy to understand. Measurements of current, voltage and resistance are included.

This was one of my worse competencies. The main thing that I missed on this was the parallel circuit. We only had a series circuit. This is mainly because we didn’t have enough time to put a parallel circuit in. This is the main reason that I wish we used our class time better and brought in materials sooner.

2)   (Scientific Communication)

This means that a video is recorded of the complete operation of the machine and voice overs are added which explain the sequence of the scientific method as the machine progresses.

I think that we did this competency well. Our machine(although missing a parallel circuit) is pretty good. The video we recorded show it all working as intended. The voice overs are a little bit hard to hear because of the music in the background. 

The steps that I took to make this machine were:

Milestone 1:  For this milestone we created a mindmap.

I didn’t do great on this milestone. I didn’t know a lot about electricity so I didn’t put much down in the knowledge portion. Because I didn’t know much, I didn’t know what my questions would be. Here is my mind map.

Milestone 2:  For this milestone we did an electricity lab. In the lab, we tried to figure out the current of a circuit. 

Milestone 3:  For this milestone we did a Khan Academy quiz.

Milestone 4:  For this milestone we created an individual blueprint of what we though the machine should look like. This was mine.

We then got together as a group and decided which blueprint to use. This was the one we decided on as a group.

Milestone 5:  For this milestone we made the video with the voice overs, which can be viewed here.

Milestone 6:  For this milestone we made the blog post which I am doing right now.

As the answer to the driving question, we can represent the scientific method in many ways. In this project, we represented it using a Rube-Goldberg Machine. We can also affect electrical circuits by playing with resistance, voltage, and current. 

I learned a lot about electricity in this project. 

Here is a video of the finished project.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and have a great day.