“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

Welcome to my TPoL. In this presentation, I will be answering why I think I am ready to advance to the next grade. 

I think that I am ready to advance into grade 10 because I have taken the lessons I have learned from grade 8 and 9 and applied them to both my life in school and my life outside of school. I think that this will allow me to learn new things in grade 10. To show this, I have selected one project from each class this year to represent my growth as a learner.

Humanities

The War To End All Wars

In this project I grew as a learner in my perseverance and determination to create the best final product that I could. I learned that because of my perception of the difficulty of a task I often spend too much time on my homework. I think that in this project, although I spent a lot of time on it, I used it as a learning experience to make sure that I didn’t spend too much time on my work but still spent enough on it to make it good.

In this project I spent multiple sleepless nights tracing drawings and putting together my comic. I think that I spent too much time outside of class on this project and not enough time in class. Since this project, I think that I have found a good balance between working in class time and working at home.

Maker

Your First Film

In this project I grew as a learner by having one of my first experiences working with people outside the classroom or events organized by school or the teachers. This was new ground for me to cover and I think that the documentary I made is one of the best things I have created this year. I also think that I grew as a learner  in my dedication to creating the best product I could. I took the lessons I learned from the war to end all wars project and applied it to this project. As a result I spent a good amount of time on my documentary, both in class and out. 

In this project I worked hard to get all of my footage so that I could get to editing and post production as soon as possible. I set deadlines for myself and met them, leading to much less stress when creating my documentary, and a good final product.

Scimatics

Metaphor Machines

In this project, I grew as a learner by learning how to work with people that I didn’t know how to work with. I did not spend enough time on this project in class, and as a result, the final product was not as good as it could have been. I think that this project has been a learning opportunity. I have learned from this project that just because I do not have much motivation to put much effort in, doesn’t mean that I can’t use my class time to my advantage and enjoy the project more and end up with a better final result.

My work ethic in this project was not as good as I wish it had been. Because I did not know how to work with the people in my group, it lead me to be unmotivated to put in the work. Over the course of this project, I learned how to work with the people in my group, and that lead me to be more motivated closer to the end of this project.

Around halfway through the year, I said that I wanted to get an extending in scimatics. Now that we are nearing the end of the year, I do not think that I have reached this goal. I think that this is for many reasons. The biggest reason I think I did not reach this goal is because I prioritized my other classes. When sitting down to do my work, I always put maker and humanities above scimatics. I also think that I did not maximize my time in scimatics classes, often opting to work on humanities or maker work that I deemed more important. In my future, I will try and evenly prioritize all of my classes, a skill that will surely help me outside of school. 

One thing that I think I did well was my humanities work. Although not all of my work was up to the standard that I wish it was, I think that overall, my humanities work is the work that I did best, and the work that I am most proud of. 

I also think that since I have done my mPOL, I have improved on the things that I said I wanted to improve on. The main thing that I wanted to get better at was my time management. While I am still not as good as I want to be, I have definitely gotten better at it since my mPOL. As a result of this, I had significantly less stress in the last semester.

I hope that this presentation has shown you that I am ready to be in grade 10 next year. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my presentation, and have a great day.